Drooling in my mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Nate. Torres

Drooling in my mask

Post by Nate. Torres » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:31 pm

I have had my CPAP for several months now and still not able to sleep through the night with the mask on, one of the biggest things is the amount of drool pooling in the mask. at time there is so much drool that it breaks the seal on the mask or when I roll over it splashes access my face. i wake up eve couple hours and have to drain the drool out before i can fall back asleep. I have asked my doctor about it with little help. I wear a full face mask and have a even harder time with the nasal mask. is there anything i can do to help with all this drool, i have always been a mouth breather and always have drooled in my sleep. please help

Pugsy

Re: Drooling in my mask

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Have you tried a mask liner to maybe help absorb some of the excess moisture?
There are any number of store bought liners or you can even make your own liner from an old T Shirt.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Nate. Torres

Post by Nate. Torres » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Pugsy wrote:Have you tried a mask liner to maybe help absorb some of the excess moisture?
There are any number of store bought liners or you can even make your own liner from an old T Shirt.
i was told by my doctor not to put anything in the mask for fear that i may chock on it while sleeping, i have tried putting a piece of napkin but would never stay in place. but i will be looking into the liner i did not know they made such a thing.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:57 pm

http://www.padacheek.com/
Check out Padacheek liners at the above link. They attach to your mask and can't go anywhere. No chance of slipping into your mouth.
Mask liners homemade or store bought are used all the time by lots and lots of people safely.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:23 am

Hi Nate!
My only problem with the Pad-A-Cheek liner is that it was a bit tricky to put on and take off of the mask. So if it became saturated during the night and you wanted to quickly change it out, you would probably be wide awake by the time the job was done. I use this liner and love it but wouldn't want to change it in the wee hours of the morning! But, these might work: http://www.RemZzzs.com.
It is applied to the cushion of the mask and there is no risk of it accidentally being swallowed. Honest!

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

Grumpygus

Post by Grumpygus » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:32 am

Suzjohnson wrote:Hi Nate!
http://www.RemZzzs.com.
Suz
*Bump*
Finally made it past the 3 hour mark on sleeping, but woke up when I shifted sides and got flooded out!
Thanks Suz for the link, I'll give these a try!

tamiloo

Post by tamiloo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:48 am

I liked the Rmzzz idea, too. They work, but they are ridiculously overpriced for what they are and they are too flimsy to used twice. After trying out the Rmzz sample pack to get the general idea and instructions, I made my own pattern on cardboard and cut my own out of old t-shirts. They aren't as pretty but they work like a charm. The tshirt material is more durable so they are re-usable as well. I simply wash them in a lingerie bag in the washing machine then iron them out (the rmzz didn't survive a washing).

Oimmuk

Post by Oimmuk » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:03 pm

I too drool in my sleep, I cannot wear the full face mask as I get chaffing and feel like I am drowning. I have looked at different styles of mask and am thinking about using a mouth mask...Any have experience with those?

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Oimmuk wrote:I too drool in my sleep, I cannot wear the full face mask as I get chaffing and feel like I am drowning. I have looked at different styles of mask and am thinking about using a mouth mask...Any have experience with those?
Others will probably chime in with mouth only mask suggestions but I wanted to say that other folks have talked about drooling and have solved it nicely using the mask liners. Tamiloo, post just above, has a superior suggestion that you could try without any outlay of cash. If you are ok with your current mask otherwise, it would be a shame to abandon it, although I sure do appreciate your problem.

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

Ineedanap

Post by Ineedanap » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:31 pm

I have a stack cut out of old shirts and flannel pajamas. As long as they're not made of super thin materiel they go thru the wash beautifully.
The Doc suggested you not put anything IN the mask. This goes between the mask and your skin.