Anybody know anything about Pot trials for Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
PamBerg

Anybody know anything about Pot trials for Apnea

Post by PamBerg » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:41 pm

My cousin who is on medicinal pot for Chemo, sent me some articles that said Pot had been tested and proven effective against obstructive breathing. Anybody know anything about this? I could never smoke it---I have the beginning of COPD also, but one article mentioned a pill taken before bed. I am having trouble adjusting to the mask and use of the machine, and one article said that 46-83% of Apnea diagnosed people, do not use their machines at all or as prescribed. WOW. another article said that mirtazapine, an anti depressant, has shown it works on Apnea. It would be so nice to merely take a pill, instead of going through all this. Any feedback on what you have heard?

49er

Re: Anybody know anything about Pot trials for Apnea

Post by 49er » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:53 pm

PamBerg wrote:My cousin who is on medicinal pot for Chemo, sent me some articles that said Pot had been tested and proven effective against obstructive breathing. Anybody know anything about this? I could never smoke it---I have the beginning of COPD also, but one article mentioned a pill taken before bed. I am having trouble adjusting to the mask and use of the machine, and one article said that 46-83% of Apnea diagnosed people, do not use their machines at all or as prescribed. WOW. another article said that mirtazapine, an anti depressant, has shown it works on Apnea. It would be so nice to merely take a pill, instead of going through all this. Any feedback on what you have heard?
Hi PamBerg,

There are no FDA approved drugs for sleep apnea. Here is what happened with Mirtizipine:

http://www.news-medical.net/health/Obst ... ments.aspx
There are no effective drug-based treatments for obstructive sleep apnea that have FDA approval. However, a clinical trial of mirtazapine, has shown early promise at the University of Illinois at Chicago. This small, early study found a 50% decrease in occurrence of apnea episodes and 28% decrease in sleep disruptions in 100% of patients (twelve patients) taking them. Nonetheless, due to the risk of weight gain and sedation (two risk factors and consequences of sleep apnea) it is not recommended. An effort to improve the effects of mirtazapine by combining it with another existing medication was cancelled during Phase IIa trials in 2006. Dr. David Carley and Dr. Miodrag Radulovacki, the sleep researchers who were behind the initial clinical trial of mirtazapine are now working on a new treatment that consists of two other existing medications taken off-label together for treatment of sleep apnea.
Of course, I have seen no mention of what those medications are. I could be wrong but I suspect the studies went nowhere with the meds.

Having suffered side effects from taking Mirtizipine for sleep, I would be very reluctant to take anything for sleep apnea unless I simply had no other options. But I realize everyone is different.

49er

ironhands

Post by ironhands » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:58 pm

I don't see it offering much in the way of improvement for apnea. If anything, it would likely make the apnea worse. Mj will cause a deeper sleep, and the deeper/relaxed your sleep, the more likely you'll have an OSA event, from my understanding.

Granted, your symptoms may decrease, as it may help your mood, and the sleep you do get uninterrupted may be more restorative... but it wouldn't help with the apnea problem directly, as it's more of a mechanical problem.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Thewino

Post by Thewino » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:18 pm

I agree with the previous poster in that I think MaryJane would tend to cause even more relaxation of your muscles. This, in my mind, would exacerbate the sleep apnea problem.

To each his/her own though. I am nonjudgmental on this issue but choose the side of safety. I already have enough health issues and don't want make any of them worse or add to this fine collection of complications.

Good health,
TheWino
The wino and I know the joy of the ocean... J. Buffett ***Please do not take any information from my post/s as medical advice. I am simply providing personal experiences. Thank you***

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:20 pm

Is there any chance they'll approve brownies made with pot for apnea? Perhaps a low carb version that will meet my craving for chocolate without adding pounds? Someone please PM me when that's approved!
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Woody

Post by Woody » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Well realy there was an article about pot and weight saying that although
pot smokers ate a little more than non smokers they tended to be a few pounds
lighter.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

khauser

Post by khauser » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:31 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:Is there any chance they'll approve brownies made with pot for apnea? Perhaps a low carb version that will meet my craving for chocolate without adding pounds? Someone please PM me when that's approved!
LOL!

A low-carb chocolate brownie? I would find it SO much easier to stick to such a diet...

Unfortunately, given MJ's tendency to increase appetite I don't think any form of intake is going to continue to satisyfing cravings without adding pounds.

Also, if this gets approved I might not be able to find the energy to get off the coach and let you or anyone else know!! LOL

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:32 pm

If it didn't work, would the patient care?

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:37 pm

My husband's aunt who is now in her late 80s told me that they used to sell asthma cigarettes. She said she used these for her asthma and they really helped. Guess what they were. I don't use MJ but it is just a plant that anyone can grow in their yard. I am terrified that someone might plant it down by the creek on the back of our property. We never go down there because of the copperheads. Every fall they go over our property in helicopter to check for any illegal crops.

Thewino

Post by Thewino » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:56 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:If it didn't work, would the patient care?
Haaa. Probably not. I know that Amazon would love me cause I would be a couch tater and just watch movies all the time and go after my one vice way, way more often, ice cream. Yum!
The wino and I know the joy of the ocean... J. Buffett ***Please do not take any information from my post/s as medical advice. I am simply providing personal experiences. Thank you***

eeckel

Post by eeckel » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:58 pm

khauser wrote: A low-carb chocolate brownie? I would find it SO much easier to stick to such a diet...
Well you could try the black bean brownie that low carb dieters talk about. I'm sure MJ could be worked into this!

Ingredients
1 15 oz. can (~ 1 3/4 cups) black beans, well rinsed and drained
2 large flax eggs (2.5 T flaxseed meal + 6 T water)
3 T coconut oil, melted (or sub other oil of choice)
3/4 cup cocoa powder (the higher quality the better)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
heaping 1/2 cup Splenda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Optional toppings: crush walnuts, pecans or semisweet chocolate chips

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:17 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:Is there any chance they'll approve brownies made with pot for apnea? Perhaps a low carb version that will meet my craving for chocolate without adding pounds? Someone please PM me when that's approved!
SU, please forward the info to me as soon as you receive it.

There was a funny thread on Lanky Lefty's forum the past several days in which a poster decided that Ambibrownies (key ingredient Ambien) would be a great way to prep for her sleep study.

STL Mark

Post by STL Mark » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:29 pm

I would suggest Grateful Dead music to go with it to get the entire 1970s experience.

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

Woody

Post by Woody » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:21 pm

Here is one of the articles about pot and weight loss. I know it sounds crazie
but so does giving ritlin a stimulent to a hyperactive child.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/09/08/m ... dy-weight/

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software