Need help sleeping? Try Magnesium. Slept solid 5 hours!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JDTheThird

Re: Need help sleeping? Try Magnesium. Slept solid 5 hours!

Post by JDTheThird » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:10 am

I started taking Magnesium recently from the advice from my Naturopath doctor. But with so many other things that affect me differently, it kept me up and I couldn't sleep soundly. So I have to take mine in the morning now so it doesn't disrupt my sleep. Food for thought.

davep700

Post by davep700 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:57 am

Are calcium or potassium needed alongside magnesium for purposes of sleep (not bone health)?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:00 pm

Maybe that is related to why that Epsom salts foot soak feels so darned good.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:02 pm

JDTheThird wrote:Naturopath doctor
Oxymoron.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:30 pm

An old thread but just to update my previous posts on page two: I don't use magnesium oil any more on my skin... it was just too big a hassle before bed. Nowadays I take 400mg of magnesium in pill form once a day with my usual multivitamins. I also take potassium - two 99mg pills daily. The potassium and magnesium really help calm down my nerves at night and have for years, however they are not some magical knock-out drug to put you to sleep. Also, they help prevent muscle cramps and are often recommended by doctors for neurological stability. It's hard to get sufficient magnesium and potassium in modern refined food diets. NOTE: I take all my vitamins and minerals before noon each day.

Like most minerals, including salt, they can be dangerous if overdone. Talk to you doctor regarding supplementation.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

davep700

Post by davep700 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:52 pm

Thanks I will ask a doctor about this this for some family members who have restless legs and/or peripheral neuropathy.

I guess magnesium doesn't need to be taken at night for effect, as would melatonin?

KimDave

Post by KimDave » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:12 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Here's something I just wrote for another thread... I'm too lazy to retype it so here's a cut and paste:

Another way to supplement magnesium, which I do, is to buy Magnesium Oil at any health food store. You spray a few shots onto your abdomen once a day and rub it in. It's not really oily but just feels that way until it dries. Your skin simply absorbs what it needs, that way no fuss about taking too many pills.

I use Mag oil as well works great! I use it to get melatonin the natural way, I find if I use melatonin tabs I am too groggy but with Mag oil on feet and back and chest before bed I sleep with no grogginess the next day.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:25 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Maybe that is related to why that Epsom salts foot soak feels so darned good.
magnesium comes in many forms, with varying amounts of bioavailability.. some, like magnesium oxide are very poorly absorbed and mostly go to loosening your stools.

epsom salts provide a type of magnesium that is readily absorbed through the skin, and doesn't affect your digestive system at all.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sonnyboy

Post by Sonnyboy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:00 pm

I'm so tired of taking pills.

How about dark chocolate, blackstrap molasses, or a stroll along the ocean

The Eleven Best Sources of Magnesium

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maria-rod ... 17556.html