Equipment, Headgear and mask experiences

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
halifmike

Equipment, Headgear and mask experiences

Post by halifmike » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:07 am

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and am very pleased with the Resmed Airsense 10 I have on trial. It is a very quiet machine with a heated humidfier and wireless to my health provider.

I'm not so pleased with the headgear and masks I've trialed.

The first one was the most comfortable. I think it was Resmed. It was a nasal mask with a sort of wide slit. It provided the most air too. Sadly, when I turned on my side, it would lose its seal and start hissing.

The second one was a Resmed nasal pillow type. I started with the medium size, found it didn't provide enough air so I felt suffocated to a small degree. I switched to the large size and the air issue was fixed. Both these would also fall off, but allowed the least amount of tightening so were comfortable and sealed well.

The third one I tried was a full nasal mask. I only tried it once, but I found the seal was such that I would get air in my right eye unless I put it so tight it was not comfortable.

Comfort in terms of something pressing on your nose, and in terms of the tightness of the headgear is an issue for me. But the main issue is the hissing sound when it falls off, which not only wakes me, but means the machine can't do its job. They all fall off, wake me up, and then I have trouble getting back to sleep.

What has been your experience? Did you try many masks? Which one worked for you?

Thanks,
Mike

Julie

Re: Equipment, Headgear and mask experiences

Post by Julie » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:12 am

Hi, I'd say the majority of us have gone through at least a few masks before finding the 'right' one, and sometimes doing it all again at some future time when we either lost or gained even a little weight, or pressures changed. You can start however, by looking at PapPillow.com - see what you think of those (some people who can sew a bit have made their own versions). You should always try on FF masks lying down because your face changes a lot then and the seal will too. See if you can get your DME to let you try various masks, but if not, Cpap.com will let you do that x 30 days for a small 'return' fee.

halifmike

Post by halifmike » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:51 am

Thanks, Julie.

Mike

curems

Post by curems » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:40 am

I went through 9-10 masks before finding the right one for me. With a small face it is especially difficult to find something that will fit. Nasal pillows tend to make me feel like I am suffocating, nasal masks have to be just right or they cause pressure sores, and FFMs tend to be a problem because my face is narrow so I can get a good seal. I finally settled on DreamWear and found that it is the absolute best mask for me (not trying to sell anyone on this particular mask, just expressing the difficulty with finding the right mask). I also liked the FitLife (fireman's type) and used it when I was hospitalized with a severe cough (the hospital didn't have a single small size mask). I keep my old masks in case a new need arises and I may need to try one of them again so I can remain compliant in spite of some other health issue.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:15 am

halifmike wrote:Hi all,

I am new to this forum and am very pleased with the Resmed Airsense 10 I have on trial. It is a very quiet machine with a heated humidfier and wireless to my health provider.

I'm not so pleased with the headgear and masks I've trialed.

The first one was the most comfortable. I think it was Resmed. It was a nasal mask with a sort of wide slit. It provided the most air too. Sadly, when I turned on my side, it would lose its seal and start hissing.

The second one was a Resmed nasal pillow type. I started with the medium size, found it didn't provide enough air so I felt suffocated to a small degree. I switched to the large size and the air issue was fixed. Both these would also fall off, but allowed the least amount of tightening so were comfortable and sealed well.

The third one I tried was a full nasal mask. I only tried it once, but I found the seal was such that I would get air in my right eye unless I put it so tight it was not comfortable.

Comfort in terms of something pressing on your nose, and in terms of the tightness of the headgear is an issue for me. But the main issue is the hissing sound when it falls off, which not only wakes me, but means the machine can't do its job. They all fall off, wake me up, and then I have trouble getting back to sleep.

What has been your experience? Did you try many masks? Which one worked for you?

Thanks,
Mike
I don't understand all these masks "falling off". I know masks leak..., but, falling off ??????

Quickstrike

Post by Quickstrike » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:11 pm

I tried the Wisp, Quattro Air, Aloha and Simplus before finding one that works for me. I really like the Swift FX nasal pillow but I still have bad nights here or there, mostly from congestion. Changing to a buckwheat hull pillow has made a huge difference in comfort and leaks.

Mr Nifty

Post by Mr Nifty » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:53 pm

I am still searching. Just don't give up.
Sleeping better since 01/13/2016
Masks I have tried
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow, Dreamwear -Nasal

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:54 am

The only experience I've had with CPAP masks falling off was the dreamwear, where the back part of the headgear would slip up to the top of the back of my head during the night, and come off that way. The P10 was another one that I had headgear problems with, since it wasn't adjustable. But it didn't actually come off, it just readjusted itself overnight.

I've found that the Swift FX is a very stable mask for me, and doesn't readjust itself or come off. Works well for me.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:41 am

One of the more successful mods that I made was to cut apart my F10 size small headgear and safety-pinned it back together to make it smaller. I took out about an inch on the top strap and an inch-and-a-half on the back. I also put an old velcro-in shoulder pad on the inside back of the mask, which takes up even more slack, plus gives a little cushioning under the safety pin.