Chapped/Hurting Upper Lip

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
auttienkassiemom

Chapped/Hurting Upper Lip

Post by auttienkassiemom » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:03 am

I have only been using my cpap for two days now. However I notice that the mask is really uncomfortable on my upper lip. I know it will take it getting some used to, but I was wanting to see if this is normal. My mask is a Philips Respironics Comfort Gel mask.

jamiswolf

Re: Chapped/Hurting Upper Lip

Post by jamiswolf » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:29 am

Hi Aut,
I get pressure and irritation on my lip from a Comfortgel Blue which is very similar. If you're new (under 30 days) you should be able to try out several masks till you find one that's comfortable. Talk to your DME.

You can buy silicone gel protective pads or some people just use moleskin.

I have two masks that fit pretty good and swap weekly to change pressure areas. Good luck...
Jamis

ThirdOutOfFive

Post by ThirdOutOfFive » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:14 am

Welcome to the club. . . .

I agree that you should try another mask. I would also suggest you try Ary, a saline (salt) based gel. I use it on my nose every night. It does not have a bad effect on the mask. I found this between children's and adult's nasal products at the local Walgreens. I am on my second mask. I found Ayr helpful with both styles.

Good luck.

scrapper

Post by scrapper » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:26 pm

Lanolin works great..........it's sold in any baby aisle for nursing moms. It's in a lavender colored tube.........brand name Lansinoh.

The lanolin will protect your lips and skin, eliminate chapping, help seal the mask, and make it comfortable all night.

“Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it.” Charles Swindoll

happysleeper

Post by happysleeper » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:29 pm

I agree, it sounds like another mask would fit you better. Most insurances will allow a mask exchange within 30 days.

Here's another idea: cut a piece of a hydrocolloid bandaid and put it on your lip before putting your mask on. The septum between my nares was raw last week, and I put a small piece of of this and put it on my sore spot at night time and the sore was gone in two days. It's self adhesive. I couldn't even feel where the nasal cushion was pressed against my skin with the bandaid there. Here's a link to what it looks like:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgre ... 07-product

Keep on trying, it's worth the effort to get a mask that fits well and allows you to sleep well.