Hands splints with CPAP arrgggghhhh

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
VikingGnome

Hands splints with CPAP arrgggghhhh

Post by VikingGnome » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:02 am

Next time you think about complaining about mask, headgear etc., things could be worse.

Currently I am undergoing hand therapy following poor outcome from bilateral trigger finger release. I call these "Medieval Torture Devices". I'm supposed to use splints all night. The purpose is to force my fingers back to natural extension position. It makes getting ready for bed quite an ordeal. Get my headgear and mask on all adjusted as best as possible. Then place silicone patches over my palms (shrinks scar tissue), then put on these splints. Getting one on isn't too bad but putting on the second with my hand in one splint is an heroic effort. Then connect CPAP hose and try to sleep. With splints on, no adjusting mask possible. No scratching an itch and hard to turn over in bed, pull up the covers, or fluff pillow. Most nights I only get 4 hours and then I wake up with aching hands. Have to take them off and then sleep the rest of the night without the splints. They are hard plastic, custom made by hand therapist. I put up with the torture hoping I won't need second surgeries on my hands to release tendons from scar tissue. Looking forward to getting back to just CPAP at night. (My dog's bed in background. Sorry about all the white hairs in photo).

kteague

Re: Hands splints with CPAP arrgggghhhh

Post by kteague » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:40 am

As one who habitually sleeps on my side with my hand under the side of my face, this would be a nightmare. Was prescribed a night brace for carpal tunnel once. Hope this condition resolves and you can get back to sleeping without these things.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:37 am

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate result from your trigger finger surgery.
I have two fingers affected on my right hand and was going to press to get it done.
Now I think I'll wait a little longer.

If you need to have additional surgery, consider one hand at a time.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

library lady

Post by library lady » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:09 am

Arghhh indeed; I can sympathize, having had 4 hand surgeries and a wrist surgery. Would it help to connect the hose to the mask before you put the splints on? If you have the ability to do it with your machine, maybe you could turn off auto-on feature so that once you're ready you can turn it on manually with a thumb. If not, it wouldn't hurt to let the machine run while you're doing the splints.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

dinycat

Post by dinycat » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:46 am

I, too, wear splints on both hands, and mine go half way up to my elbows--all for carpal tunnel syndrome. I attach my mask first. It is, indeed, very uncomfortable at first, but I'm used to sleeping (and looking like Frankenstein) now.

dinycat

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:00 pm

I'm probably guessing correctly, but no one wants to hear about splinting to correct Peyronies?

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:00 pm

JDS74 wrote:Sorry to hear about your unfortunate result from your trigger finger surgery.
I have two fingers affected on my right hand and was going to press to get it done.
Now I think I'll wait a little longer.

If you need to have additional surgery, consider one hand at a time.
I absoluting agree. I had 2 trigger fingers done before as separate surgeries with no problems. So when doc suggested we do both hands, I was all for it. NEVER NEVER NEVER have surgery on two hands at once. Postop I couldn't turn door knobs, open bottles of water, drive my car (palms on steering wheel too painful), push a shopping cart and some mandatory personal care issues. The incisions are in the palms of your hands so think about all the things that touch or press against palms or require some flexing of the palms. Ouch.

One thing my doc told me is that delay in getting trigger fingers fixed means the underlying problem gets worse. The worse the trigger finger, the more difficult the recovery. So waiting might not be the wisest plan. I waited way too long to have my thumb done. By the time I saw the doc, I could not straighten my thumb after bending it and had to snap it straight using fingers of my other hand. Eventually I couldn't even get it to straighten. It was stuck bent. I had to have 6 weeks of hand therapy to regain motion in my thumb. I couldn't bend, rotate or extend it after surgery. If I had surgery a lot earlier, it would not have been so severe and recovery smoother.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:44 pm

VikingGnome,

I thought sleeping with carpal tunnel splints was a PITA, now I WILL NOT complain ever again! Although I know you are supposed to wear them all night, why not try first 4 hours, then increase to 5 hours, etc. until you reach the entire night. I know having these on is really killing your sleep cycle & my heart goes out to you. Your hands are not functioning normal & that is messing with your sleep cycle. Major not fun.

Hang in there, hopefully this therapy will keep you from further surgeries.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

Stevoreno_55

Post by Stevoreno_55 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:02 pm

For years I had pain in both of my hands and had to wear hand braces at night but finally decided to have carpal tunnel surgery done on both hands but not at the same time. I had my left hand done in December 2002 and my right hand done in February 2003. I can still see where the surgery was done on both hands but I would do it again in a heartbeat. No more pain in my hands.

Stevoreno_55
MS Gulf Coast
06/14/14

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:15 pm

VikingGnome:
I'm puzzled--how did you take the pictures?

Islandwoman

Post by Islandwoman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:22 pm

When you say trigger finger is it the same as Dupatrins which is caused by tissue growing around tendon? I have this and have warded it off with massage etc. but it is a loosing battle now. I am considering getting one hand fixed with a method where they make punctures with a sharp needle cutting through the tissue surrounding the tendon with no incision but it is hard to find a doctor who is well experienced as it is fairly new. I will certainly not agree to both hands at once after reading your post. Thanks

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:15 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I'm probably guessing correctly, but no one wants to hear about splinting to correct Peyronies? :oops:
While I don't want to hear about it, you've made me very curious. How in the world would that work?

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:19 am

RogerSC wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:I'm probably guessing correctly, but no one wants to hear about splinting to correct Peyronies?
While I don't want to hear about it, you've made me very curious. How in the world would that work?
Roger are you baiting the frog?

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:46 pm

I'm sorry, but any doctor who thinks it's a good idea to operate on both hands at once has no respect for the function of hands. Otherwise he/she should have known that you would be seriously impaired during the healing phase. Someone sounds like it was time to build a new swimming pool in the back yard or pay a kid's college tuition. Yikes!

Viking, to prevent reoccurrence you need to understand that the underlying cause of Dupetreyne's contracture/trigger finger is impaired glucose metabolism. It has to do with glycation end products affecting the tendons.

If you aren't diabetic you may very well be on the way, and it's crucial to get your blood sugars and insulin levels under good control. Orthopedic surgeons would never mention this (not sure they even understand this), but how your body handles sugar has everything to do with the health of bones, tendons, joints, and muscles.

I had bilateral frozen shoulders (at least a surgeon didn't CAUSE this!), and did not understand at the time that my hormone balance and metabolism were to blame. Fortunately, when my PCP referred me to a surgeon for treatment, I chose a surgeon who was no longer practicing surgery just for the opinion about whether surgery was recommended or not. He told me about this and that my problem (adhesive capsulitis) would improve if I improved my metabolism. He was absolutely right. I am pain free with almost full range of motion today.

I'm not saying a good diet will reverse contractures, but their presence puts you on notice that there may be other things to address.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:12 am

just a thought...if you wake up partway through the night to remove both braces anyhow, why not only use one brace at a time? Start the night with say, the left on, then halfway through the night, take it off and use the right. If you're only getting half a night's use out of them anyhow, does it matter WHICH half? It would simplify adjusting your mask, machine, covers, etc.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!