How do you guys clean out your cpap hose?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jcmn81980ster

How do you guys clean out your cpap hose?

Post by jcmn81980ster » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:06 pm

I just squirted a little bit of dish soap in to mine then flushed it with mild hot water

Julie

Re: How do you guys clean out your cpap hose?

Post by Julie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:10 pm

Why? The only thing going through it was filtered air from the machine to you, not the other way around. An awful lot of us never touch the hose from one year to the next... no need, unless you incidentally happen to be aware of something that got in through the mask area when you weren't looking.

jcmn81980ster

Post by jcmn81980ster » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:14 pm

Ha ha just figured it might get moldy from the humidity or something like that

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:30 pm

jcmn81980ster wrote:Ha ha just figured it might get moldy from the humidity or something like that
It won't get moldy when you use it every night. As Julie said, you are only running the mist from distilled water through it. I have been using the same hose for about 8 months now and it has never been cleaned or dried out. The only time I change a hose is when the ends get so stretched that it leaks when attached to the mask.

Ontario CPAP

Post by Ontario CPAP » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:56 pm

I give my hose a rinse every couple of weeks. I squirt some soft soap into one end, add some hot water, and swish back and forth by holding both ends, letting the hose droop in a U shape and alternately seesawing each end up and down. Dump out the soapy water, and give a good flushing.

Although I'm using only distilled water, it is not sterile, nor is the ambient air. Having said that, I've never had any issues with molds or smells in the hose, so I could probably go without cleaning it for longer, but I've made it something of a habit.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:10 pm

I confess, I don't do anything unless I see (or smell) something weird in there.

Elle

Post by Elle » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:18 pm

What is "mild hot water"?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:41 pm

I turn me XPAP on with the mask off, and hope the spiders loose their grip. Jim

Never had one come out yet!
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:54 pm

Julie wrote:Why? The only thing going through it was filtered air from the machine to you, not the other way around.
I don't think that is necessarily true. Those of use using nasal pillows have no check valve on our masks to prevent exhaled air from blowing back trough the hose. Indeed, when I exhale through my P10 mask, a significant amount of air blows back into my humidifier, indicating to me that my exhaled breath is making it at least some of the way down the hose.

That said, I generally don't worry about it. If I've been particularly sick, I might wash out the hose, but I've been using the same one for nearly a year and have only cleaned it perhaps half a dozen times.

Incidentally, at least Resmed masks and hoses can be sterilized by submerging them in 190°F water for 90 seconds. I've done it several times with no noticeable harm. To any component.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:04 pm

The Latinist wrote:Those of use using nasal pillows have no check valve on our masks to prevent exhaled air from blowing back trough the hose.
show me one mask that has a 'check valve'.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:07 pm

Check valve, ha, ha, no clue at all, but I've never seen one on a mask, of any kind.
Oh, maybe a steampunk costume mask. Now that would be cool! Especially in brass or copper.

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:19 pm

palerider wrote:
The Latinist wrote:Those of use using nasal pillows have no check valve on our masks to prevent exhaled air from blowing back trough the hose.
Any mask with a so-called "anti-asphyxia" valve (which includes, I believe, nearly every FFM) has a check valve. What else would you call a valve whose purpose is to allow flow of a gas in only one direction? Specifically, both my Quattro Air mask and the Simplus I tried for one night had swing check valves.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:23 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Check valve, ha, ha, no clue at all, but I've never seen one on a mask, of any kind.
Oh, maybe a steampunk costume mask. Now that would be cool! Especially in brass or copper.
yeah, no mask has a 'check valve'. anti asphixiation valves, sure. but those are all closed while the machine is in operation, as you well know

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:37 pm

palerider wrote:
Also the volume of air in the hose is is large enough, that if it all blew back into the HH water would be pushed into the XPAP. So the patient air isn't what's going into the hh. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:41 pm

Goofproof wrote:
palerider wrote:
Also the volume of air in the hose is is large enough, that if it all blew back into the HH water would be pushed into the XPAP. So the patient air isn't what's going into the hh. Jim
I didn't say that exhaled air was blowing into the humidifier; I said that the flow of air into the humidifier suggests that exhaled air is entertaining at least part of the hose. After all, that is what we're talking about potentially needing cleaning in this thread.