New in town

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Apojacks

New in town

Post by Apojacks » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:52 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Matt, I'm 31, I live in Central Indiana, and next Saturday I'm getting married to the best gal a man could ask for. As part of my prenuptial list given to me by my fiancee, I went to the doctor to get a physical. I had complained of being tired all the time and that people had said that I would stop breathing while I sleep. I was so tired all of the time that I would sleep eight hours a night, and three naps during the day, two for fifteen minutes on my 20 minute break, and then 45 minutes on my lunch break and I was never able to seemingly feel energetic. The doctor took my vitals, confirmed high blood pressure and then said I might have sleep apnea. She ordered a sleep study, and after three months of waiting, I am finally getting a sleep study done tomorrow. I am taking the in home sleep study, but in the mean time, my doctor did write out a prescription to get an APAP machine. She said that would be the best course of action since she is 100% confident I do have sleep apnea, we just need to confirm what my pressure settings should be, and she said that the APAP machine would automatically adjust to my needs as I slept.

I don't have insurance...well, I did until my company screwed up on it and everyone was forced to opt out of it, but that's another story. So I'm forced to buy a machine out of pocket. I want to spend less than $600 for an APAP machine, mask, etc. I have looked on CPAP.com and have found several options including the new Luna H60 with the integrated humidifier, the PR System One REMstar Plus CPAP Machine with C-Flex, and the XT Auto CPAP. I''m not really sure what I want, and I am hoping to get some guidance from some of the seasoned veterans on this forum. Thoughts anyone?

rachelp

Re: New in town

Post by rachelp » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:57 pm

I also bought out of pocket and I highly recommend secondwindcpap.com for good prices on machines. I bought two gently used machines from them. Both had less than 4 hours on them and were very discounted. They have great customer service and I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:34 pm

Apojacks wrote:Hi everyone, I'm Matt, I'm 31, I live in Central Indiana, and next Saturday I'm getting married to the best gal a man could ask for. As part of my prenuptial list given to me by my fiancee, I went to the doctor to get a physical. I had complained of being tired all the time and that people had said that I would stop breathing while I sleep. I was so tired all of the time that I would sleep eight hours a night, and three naps during the day, two for fifteen minutes on my 20 minute break, and then 45 minutes on my lunch break and I was never able to seemingly feel energetic. The doctor took my vitals, confirmed high blood pressure and then said I might have sleep apnea. She ordered a sleep study, and after three months of waiting, I am finally getting a sleep study done tomorrow. I am taking the in home sleep study, but in the mean time, my doctor did write out a prescription to get an APAP machine. She said that would be the best course of action since she is 100% confident I do have sleep apnea, we just need to confirm what my pressure settings should be, and she said that the APAP machine would automatically adjust to my needs as I slept.

I don't have insurance...well, I did until my company screwed up on it and everyone was forced to opt out of it, but that's another story. So I'm forced to buy a machine out of pocket. I want to spend less than $600 for an APAP machine, mask, etc. I have looked on CPAP.com and have found several options including the new Luna H60 with the integrated humidifier, the PR System One REMstar Plus CPAP Machine with C-Flex, and the XT Auto CPAP. I''m not really sure what I want, and I am hoping to get some guidance from some of the seasoned veterans on this forum. Thoughts anyone?
You'll want to get a machine that is fully data-capable.
Stick with either Philips/Respironics or ResMed. However, do NOT get a machine that has the words "Plus" or "Escape" in the name. Both of them are not data-capable and are known as "bricks" around here.
Getting one of the Auto CPAPs (APAPs) from either of those manufacturers will assure you that they are fully data-capable.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:36 pm

Pugsy recently gave the best answer to the same question for someone here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107246&p=1022984&hi ... y#p1022989

You need to choose your machine very carefully to get one with the right options and data that you can monitor and use to make adjustments, if necessary.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:38 am

http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/

A few of the latest models are not on the lists, but the overview of info given otherwise is important (it's not just a list of equipmt at all).

Peaceful sleeper

Post by Peaceful sleeper » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:43 am

Welcome! Congrats on your upcoming marriage!