Nose is bleeding, any advice ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BlizzardUK

Nose is bleeding, any advice ?

Post by BlizzardUK » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:56 am

Had my 2nd go on CPAP last night. My nose, both nostrils, seem to have patches of blood coming out when I wipe it. I am using nasal pillows. Any advice ? I am a bit concerned but perhaps this is common at the start for pillows ?

Hang Fire

Re: Nose is bleeding, any advice ?

Post by Hang Fire » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:05 am

BlizzardUK wrote:My nose, both nostrils, seem to have patches of blood coming out when I wipe it. Any advice ?
Quit wiping it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:07 am

You need to increase the humidifier setting...are you using the heated hose? I think you are...so go to setting of 3.

There is a product we advise for use here in the US and I think it is available worldwide but maybe under a different name
Lansinoh lanolin ointment/cream. Put a little dab on your outer nostril area and up inside at night when putting the mask on.
Use it liberally during the day but not so liberally at night because it can make things too slippery.
It will help heal and prevent problems.

Nasal pillows should NOT cause sores or abrasions or nose bleeds if properly fitted. It should be evident if the nose bleed is from the outermost nostril area as you will be able to see or feel an open sore/scab. Those inner cones don't go very far up into the nose. Most nose bleeds come from higher up in the nostril and most likely because the nasal mucosa got dried out. Adding the Lansinoh up inside the nostril will help both with healing and keeping that upper nasal mucosa moist.

I think I sent you the P10...which size nasal pillow are you using?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BlizzardUK

Post by BlizzardUK » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:17 am

Pugsy wrote:You need to increase the humidifier setting...are you using the heated hose? I think you are...so go to setting of 3.

There is a product we advise for use here in the US and I think it is available worldwide but maybe under a different name
Lansinoh lanolin ointment/cream. Put a little dab on your outer nostril area and up inside at night when putting the mask on.
Use it liberally during the day but not so liberally at night because it can make things too slippery.
It will help heal and prevent problems.

Nasal pillows should NOT cause sores or abrasions or nose bleeds if properly fitted. It should be evident if the nose bleed is from the outermost nostril area as you will be able to see or feel an open sore/scab. Those inner cones don't go very far up into the nose. Most nose bleeds come from higher up in the nostril and most likely because the nasal mucosa got dried out. Adding the Lansinoh up inside the nostril will help both with healing and keeping that upper nasal mucosa moist.

I think I sent you the P10...which size nasal pillow are you using?
Thanks Pugsy. Yes, the P10 with large fit. It is a great mask, just was a bit concerned when I itched my nose and saw dark blood, then wiped it and saw patches of blood all over. My right nostril was very blocked last night. Nothing major, was just trying to work out if I am doing things right. Yes, I have the heated hose. At the moment I believe I have the hose on 2 and humidity setting on 1. I go up to 17 on the pressure scale for 90% of the night, so quite high for pillows perhaps, but I am sure many use them up to 20. I am sure all these things are just teething issues that will iron out. I will try some of that cream you mentioned if I can find it.

Oh I seem to read differing views on the dial on the front of the RemStar 60 series. Some people (articles/youtube) say the dial is for the humidifier and some say the heated tube. If I changed the lit up dial to 5 on the top of the machine, does this change the humidification or the heated hose ?

Thanks all. Sorry to comment about something so small.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:28 am

With the heated tube attached the only way to change the humidity setting is in the clinical setup menu and the knob turning when NOT in clinical setup menu only changes the air hose temp.
I thought you were using the setting of 2 for humidity...but you are using the setting of 1 which is for 70% humidity...setting of 2 is for 80% and setting of 3 is for 90%.
If your nasal mucosa are dried out from the pressure being higher....you need more humidity...change it to 3. I don't think 80% will be enough.

Those you tube videos....you have to be careful because a lot of them are with the regular hose and not the heated hose...and some with the heated hose may be made by someone who doesn't really understand how the heated hose thing works.
Trust me...I own a PR S1 with heated hose....the humidity setting MUST be done within the clinical menu area.

Dry nasal mucosa make it real easy for nasal mucosa to crack and bleed. I had it all the time when I lived in Las Vegas and I wasn't even on cpap at that time.

Oh...also get yourself something like Simply Saline and use it frequently during the day and a good squirt of it about 30 minutes before bedtime. It helps keep the mucosa hydrated.

Unless you have an open sore right at the nostril area...the blood is most likely coming from higher up in the nasal cavity.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:32 am

[quote]Thanks all. Sorry to comment about something so small./quote]

I beg to differ that your concern is small. As one who also had nose bleeds before my septoplasty of this year, I can vouch for the fact they aren't fun. Hopefully, following Pugsy's advice will bring you great relief.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:35 am

BlizzardUK wrote: My nose, both nostrils, seem to have patches of blood
Do you take daily aspirin or blood thinners?
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:50 pm

Get a tube of Preparation H and use a Q-tip and smear some inside your nostrils.
But, yeah, lots of medications can cause blood to thin. Aspirin and Fish Oil to name a couple. (agreeing with CG)

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:53 am

Wulfman... wrote:Get a tube of Preparation H and use a Q-tip and smear some inside your nostrils.
That could be a dangerous experiment.

Prep H contains phenylephrine HCL, which constricts vessels and has side effects of raising blood pressure and slowing heart rate. In many people, it causes insomnia.

Start out with something less dangerous (See both of Pugsy's posts.), and if that doesn't work and the bleeding continues for several weeks, you might want to see an ENT.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:44 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:Get a tube of Preparation H and use a Q-tip and smear some inside your nostrils.
That could be a dangerous experiment.

Prep H contains phenylephrine HCL, which constricts vessels and has side effects of raising blood pressure and slowing heart rate. In many people, it causes insomnia.

Start out with something less dangerous (See both of Pugsy's posts.), and if that doesn't work and the bleeding continues for several weeks, you might want to see an ENT.
That procedure/technique was related to me by an emergency room nurse some years back.
I didn't question his intelligence in regard to the matter.

Some people have also used it to help remove the bags under their eyes, too.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:07 pm

Medical advice changes day to day...what was ok to do 5 years ago can now be almost taboo. *shrug* I don't make or follow the rules, just sayin'.
Higher humidity with heated hose would probably feel pretty good...Also,you might want to avoid white shirts and pillowcases til the nosebleeds are fixed.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!