Where can I find a more "attractive" mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cooprdawg

Where can I find a more "attractive" mask?

Post by cooprdawg » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:55 pm

Hi all. I have been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea for nearly a year now. I have had a ResMed air sense 10 with a mouth and nose mask. Being 20 years old in college and living in a fraternity house, wearing a mask while I'm sleeping isn't something I always enjoy doing. People are always coming in and out of rooms and what not and I personally do not like being seen wearing such a medial looking mask. Almost everybody in the house knows about my apnea but I want a mask that doesn't look so ugly. As these two words sound oddly in a sentence together, but I want to have a mask that looks more appealing and "hip". To many this may sound odd but I have a feeling that some people may have a similar insecurity with the appearance of their mask while being worn, even if it is within your own home. If anyone has any company names that sell something like it please let me know. I do know of the process hydro dipping and I assume some of you do as well. I feel like this could possibly be an easy fix but not sure if it would interfere with anything on the mask itself. Thanks y'all

Cathyann

Re: Where can I find a more "attractive" mask?

Post by Cathyann » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:22 am

I can relate a little, but I'm a married lady with teenagers though I'm still a little self conscious. Do you have to use a full face mask? No idea how to make one of those look cool except for maybe adding some Star Wars stickers.

Try a nasal pillow mask, they are less cumbersome. Click the one in my signature, it's pretty popular around here and for good reason. Light weight and simple, it gets my vote.

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:30 am

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:48 am

I don't think there is a mask. The pillow mask is a lot less, look at them on line. We get a lot of wimps on this site. I admire you for your courage.

Sheriff

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:55 am

Don't put it on (and keep it in a drawer) til lights out, and do not dip it in anything, or paint it or anything else because you will ruin the silicone, etc. There's no way to make it glamorous and any efforts will only make it look like you're trying too hard... be cool and develop a sense of humor about it.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:04 am

Go to cpap.com and look at pictures and descriptions of the various masks

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:18 am

Get a spare mask frame & try out your artistic side and paint the mask with something that adheres to plastic.

Absolutely do NOT paint or close off up any vents, movable parts or near where the cushion attaches

You could end up with a nifty CPAP version of a hockey goalie or baseball catchers mask! If you paint it completely back, you could be the Darth Vader of CPAP

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:11 am

What about a FitLifetotal face mask? It looks like what firefighters wear.

https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/total-f ... p-mask.php
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:46 am

cooprdawg wrote:Hi all. I have been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea for nearly a year now. I have had a ResMed air sense 10 with a mouth and nose mask. Being 20 years old in college and living in a fraternity house, wearing a mask while I'm sleeping isn't something I always enjoy doing. People are always coming in and out of rooms and what not and I personally do not like being seen wearing such a medial looking mask. Almost everybody in the house knows about my apnea but I want a mask that doesn't look so ugly. As these two words sound oddly in a sentence together, but I want to have a mask that looks more appealing and "hip". To many this may sound odd but I have a feeling that some people may have a similar insecurity with the appearance of their mask while being worn, even if it is within your own home. If anyone has any company names that sell something like it please let me know. I do know of the process hydro dipping and I assume some of you do as well. I feel like this could possibly be an easy fix but not sure if it would interfere with anything on the mask itself. Thanks y'all
Cooprdawg, two things might help. Get a flannel or fleece cover for the hose. It not only makes it look a lot less "medical", it keeps the air warmer and feels better next to your face. Second, a nasal pillows mask like the Resmed Airfit P10 is very minimal as long as you can avoid mouth breathing. Not only does it provide effective and comfortable therapy, but once you get used to it, you can even talk with the nasal pillows in place. That beats the hell out of the muffled sound of speaking through a full face mask.

Good luck!!

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:30 am

I agree with the Sheriff... a nasal mask might pass you off as someone with Asthma (or whatnot) to some misinformed people, but what good's that? You may as well just fess up and tell everybody what the disease is all about. I've found that's the best way to do it and people generally understand once it's explained. That's especially true of people who have to potentially sleep in a room with a person snoring loudly. One tip: Most people these days tend to like electronic gadgets: focus on the cool technology and all the whiz bang features like you're selling a new smart phone. Go light on the medical jargon.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:48 am

And in the end, you're not obligated to explain in detail anything at all - it is personal and not the business of passing acquaintances.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:58 am

How about a Sleepweaver Elan in camouflage?
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/cloth- ... -mask.html
The original mask is either beige or blue, but replacement cushions come in colors or prints.
The Sleepweaver Advance can be gotten in camo, and other designs.
A couple years ago, someone bedazzled their mask.
Be creative, or not. You could wear a biker bandanna over/under the headgear. Skulls, school,etc.

garagelogician

Post by garagelogician » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:00 pm

Try something low profile and slim. Respironics Dreamwear or ResMed Airfit P10.

spmccord

Post by spmccord » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:54 pm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:33 pm

Remember "triple dog dare"?