Dry Mouth Question/Orajel

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
49er

Dry Mouth Question/Orajel

Post by 49er » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:27 am

Those of you who have used orajel, has it helped if you feel your problem with a dry mouth is chronic due to limited saliva production? As an FYI, the dentist's office that I went to for a cleaning advised me to use a prescription flouride toothpaste at night to protect the teeth against my increased risk of dental decay. But they didn't have a dry mouth remedy suggestion which it seems I need in addition to the toothpaste. So that is why I was asking.

Thanks!

49er

seeing you

Re: Dry Mouth Question/Orajel

Post by seeing you » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:40 am

The gel does help me some but mostly with keeping the inside of my mouth in better condition but as to keeping dry mouth away it has not stopped that from happening to me. Hope that helps some and I do not have any other problem with dry mouth except when using my c-pap.

urn357

Post by urn357 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:01 am

I've used orajel dry mouth gel before and has seemed to help. I haven't used it religiously because my dry mouth problem isn't chronic, but for the times my mouth was dry it helped.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:32 am

These products are used for dry mouth chronic or otherwise. I was using the Orajel sporadically at first. But how can you tell when you are going to have dry mouth? So I've started using it on a regular basis and haven't experienced it since. With the importance of avoiding dry mouth for dental health, using Orajel is a small thing to do.
My dental hygienist reccomended to use Biotene Spray but I don't think it lasts as long and will use it as a backup if I ever again wake up with a dry mouth after using the Orajel.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

MarcoSil

Post by MarcoSil » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:00 pm

49er wrote:Those of you who have used orajel, has it helped if you feel your problem with a dry mouth is chronic due to limited saliva production? As an FYI, the dentist's office that I went to for a cleaning advised me to use a prescription flouride toothpaste at night to protect the teeth against my increased risk of dental decay. But they didn't have a dry mouth remedy suggestion which it seems I need in addition to the toothpaste. So that is why I was asking.

Thanks!

49er
Colgate PreviDent 5000, Dry Mouth formulation is available by prescription from your dentist. I also use Biotene Oral Balance gel.

The thing that works best for me is putting some of each in a pair of teeth guards that my dentist made for me that fit over my teeth (top and bottom) before going to bed. This prevents dry mouth all night as well as addressing the decay problem. I've been doing this for over a year now and it really works!

Therapist

Post by Therapist » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:12 pm

MarcoSil wrote:Colgate PreviDent 5000, Dry Mouth formulation is available by prescription from your dentist.
That's just a toothpaste. I don't see what it does for chronic dry mouth.
MarcoSil wrote:I also use Biotene Oral Balance gel.
Once this company was bought out, and the formulation changed, it did not work so well. I switched to Orajel, and it is much better. I usually can find it a good bit cheaper also.

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:51 pm

Just happened to talk to my DME (who, incidentally, solved the humidifier problem) about the dry mouth and he said use a saline solution before and after using the CPAP. I hope it works. I'm already using Biotene before and after the machine wakes me up when I feel the dryness.

If the dryness occurs over a period of time, expect big dental bills, especially if you're taking medications. Good luck!

49er wrote:Those of you who have used orajel, has it helped if you feel your problem with a dry mouth is chronic due to limited saliva production? As an FYI, the dentist's office that I went to for a cleaning advised me to use a prescription flouride toothpaste at night to protect the teeth against my increased risk of dental decay. But they didn't have a dry mouth remedy suggestion which it seems I need in addition to the toothpaste. So that is why I was asking.

Thanks!

49er

Additional Comments: My headgear varies (STILL!)
Resmed S9 with humidifier and in need of the right mask.

MarcoSil

Post by MarcoSil » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:03 pm

In case it wasn't clear, I wear the guards on my teeth all night. The Prevident 5000 Dry Mouth formulation toothpaste addresses potential decay. The biotene or orajel prevents the dry mouth. I haven't been woken up due to dry mouth for over a year now since I started this regime and before I was woken up multiple times each night.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:05 pm

Thank you all for responding. I will definitely give the orajel a try. Doesn't cost that much so nothing to lose.

Sheffey

Post by Sheffey » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:32 pm

DeeCPAP wrote:Just happened to talk to my DME about the dry mouth and he said use a saline solution before and after using the CPAP. I hope it works.
Saline solutions will not work. Try Orajel for Dry Mouth. The trick is in how to apply the gel. If you have problems, just ask.

What mask are you using?
Sheffey

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:58 am

How do you apply it and how much do you use? I just received a tube in the mail.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:02 am

Hi 49er. I put about half an inch of Orajel in my mouth and that lasts all night. Call around to your local pharmacies to see who's got it, buy a tube and see if you like it. I've tried Biotene gel and don't like the way it doesn't last. Here's the cheapest place I've found to buy Orajel:

http://www.dentist.net/products/orajel- ... rizing-gel

I don't use any special Rx toothpaste, just regular ol' Colgate.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:11 am

Okie bipap wrote:How do you apply it and how much do you use? I just received a tube in the mail.
I put a small amount. probably about a half inch also but you may need to experiment, on my tongue tip and then rub it between my teeth and gum.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:47 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Hi 49er. I put about half an inch of Orajel in my mouth and that lasts all night. Call around to your local pharmacies to see who's got it, buy a tube and see if you like it. I've tried Biotene gel and don't like the way it doesn't last. Here's the cheapest place I've found to buy Orajel:

http://www.dentist.net/products/orajel- ... rizing-gel

I don't use any special Rx toothpaste, just regular ol' Colgate.
Thanks SNO,

I ordered some from Amazon today since it was free shipping and I have an Amazon gift card.

I can hardly wait to try it out when it arrives next week.

Glad it works for you.

49er

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:00 pm

Okie bipap wrote:How do you apply it and how much do you use? I just received a tube in the mail.
Two small dabs. I put one small dab on the tip of my tongue and work it in between the lower teeth (Still have my teeth. ) and the gums. The second small dab goes on the tip of the tongue and then between the upper teeth and the gums.

I find the smaller amounts work better. Larger amounts tend to be self-siphoning and don't last all night.

Before I start to apply Oragel, everything is set up to get in bed. The mask is on the dresser, and I put it on immediately after I apply the gel. Try to get in bed and fall asleep without accidentally sucking down the gel.
First read: viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

Then get a free account: https://home.sleephq.com/

Post links in this thread for members to see and make recommendations.