Loud hissing noise when sleeping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Aazimon

Loud hissing noise when sleeping

Post by Aazimon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:56 am

I have a resmed airsense 10 autoset with a airfit P10 nasal pillow and a chin strap.
When I put it on, it seems to fit just fine, but when I sleep, at some point it makes a loud hissing noise that keeps my wife awake. She made an audio recording and it sounds like the mask is leaking really bad. I've tried to figure out how its leaking. I've tried rolling on my side, pushing on the mask, but to get that amount of sound from her recording I would essentially have to take the mask off.
The My air apps says a have a good seal most nights. About 18 leaks / minute, which it scores as "good."
Any ideas how I can determine how it's leaking? What I can try to prevent it?

Violet West

Re: Loud hissing noise when sleeping

Post by Violet West » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:22 pm

A lot of times when there's a loud, strange noise I find it's not in the mask, but in the unit itself -- usually something (chamber, hose) needs to be pushed in/re-seated.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:42 pm

Violet West wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:22 pm
A lot of times when there's a loud, strange noise I find it's not in the mask, but in the unit itself -- usually something (chamber, hose) needs to be pushed in/re-seated.
In which case, it would be doing that from the start, which isn't what the op said.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Osiris357

Post by Osiris357 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:32 pm

18 L/min is a pretty good leak even though it says it’s good. The myAir app will only say adjust after you hit 24L/min and won’t give you the red frowny face until you stay at that level for 30% of the session. All that said, that noise your wife is hearing more than likely is coming from your leaking mask. 18L/min is making your machine run that much harder and isn’t too far off from the 24 L/min that it can’t keep up with. But the most important part is your therapy is more than likely being compromised at 18 L/min. For me personally my flow rate waveform starts to distort at around 12 L/min. Which makes sense because that is the highest you should allow your leaks to get on a regular basis. Always aim for hardly any leaks to get the most out of your therapy and make any necessary adjustments if it spikes over 12. If the mask needs to be tightened till it hurts to achieve that it’s time to trial new masks until you find one that seals better for you. Masks are very personal and just because someone else loves it it may not be what’s right for you. After typing all that I just double checked what mask you have. I bet it’s coming from your mouth. The chin strap is holding your mouth closed yes but the air is still rushing out from between your teeth and is hissing. I had the same problem with mouth leak not hissing though. My solution was mouth taping. Some are against it but I am for it since it enables me to use pillows which give me optimal therapy. Hope this helps I hope you can get this under control.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:38 pm

Try placing lower than the bed. This noise will be further way and muffled by the mattress.

ragtopcircus

Post by ragtopcircus » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:01 pm

I have the P30i, not P10, but I sometimes get hissing where the hard plastic diffuser housing seals against the soft cushion body. For the P10, the seal between the cushon and vent frame could be responsible. Applying a little KY to the seal with a Q-tip will fix it.

For that sort of leak, it may be totally silent while you are awake. Then, as you move in your sleep, the mask can get tugged around a bit. This can stretch/deform the seal just enough to hiss loudly.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:59 pm

Osiris357 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:32 pm
But the most important part is your therapy is more than likely being compromised at 18 L/min.
No, no it's not.
Osiris357 wrote:
For me personally my flow rate waveform starts to distort at around 12 L/min.
a leak of even 24lpm has *nothing* at all to do with your flow waveform 'distortion' issues. Look elsewhere.
Osiris357 wrote:
Which makes sense because that is the highest you should allow your leaks to get on a regular basis.
No, no it's not.
Osiris357 wrote:
Always aim for hardly any leaks to get the most out of your therapy and make any necessary adjustments if it spikes over 12.
I don't know what stinky dark orifice you pulled that out of, but there's no basis in *FACT*

Last edited by palerider on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:31 pm

That 18 L/min leak number is a 95% leak number and it is NOT where the leak was at for 95% of the night and it is NOT an average leak number for the entire night.

95% numbers just mean at OR BELOW for 95% of the night.. That "OR BELOW" part is very critical to the definition.
95% numbers are easily skewed upwards and often make things look worse than they are.
BUT even if the leak was at 18 L/min all night long...the machine can compensate for it easily.

Now any leak that wakes us up or disturbs our sleep is unwanted.
Connection leaks like the humidifier chamber not being inserted fully or loose mask connection would normally be present immediately when the machine gets turned on.
Leak noises that come on during the night will most likely be related to mask movement and the seal being broken.
Hissing noises make me think minor mask movement and small area of the mask not sealed completely.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Osiris357

Post by Osiris357 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:42 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:31 pm
That 18 L/min leak number is a 95% leak number and it is NOT where the leak was at for 95% of the night and it is NOT an average leak number for the entire night.

95% numbers just mean at OR BELOW for 95% of the night.. That "OR BELOW" part is very critical to the definition.
95% numbers are easily skewed upwards and often make things look worse than they are.
BUT even if the leak was at 18 L/min all night long...the machine can compensate for it easily.

Now any leak that wakes us up or disturbs our sleep is unwanted.
Connection leaks like the humidifier chamber not being inserted fully or loose mask connection would normally be present immediately when the machine gets turned on.
Leak noises that come on during the night will most likely be related to mask movement and the seal being broken.
Hissing noises make me think minor mask movement and small area of the mask not sealed completely.
Thanks for the info Pugsy. And also for doing in a classy way and not in a narcissistic internet smart mouth way...please palerider put me on the foe list...after that I won’t be back here again anyway

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:00 pm

Osiris357 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:42 pm

please palerider put me on the foe list...after that I won’t be back here again anyway
He probably would, but he has to suffer fools "like you" so he can correct harmful information given out by ignorant self assured
posters "like you".

Anyway why should he when you:
"won’t be back here again anyway" :D

Osiris357

Post by Osiris357 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:21 pm

Nothing I said was harmful in any way...controlling leaks down to nothing can only be positive and I was talking about flow limitations as he so cluelessly said...flow rate what I was talking about. Lol arguing and name calling on the internet...internet muscles...dealing with high school kids in here...what a joke...bye bye now...have your very inappropriate forum who immediately attack someone for being wrong...

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:29 am

Osiris357 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:21 pm
Nothing I said was harmful in any way...
Actually, it WAS. you're sending the OP off on a totally unnecessary wild goose chase, when there's nothing actually that *needs* to be corrected.
Osiris357 wrote:
bye bye now...
You keep saying you're leaving... will you really?
Osiris357 wrote:
have your very inappropriate forum who immediately attack someone for being wrong...
My my... some people are so *touchy* about being corrected when they're wrong.

CPAPLuv

Post by CPAPLuv » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:42 am

Aazimon wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:56 am
I have a resmed airsense 10 autoset with a airfit P10 nasal pillow and a chin strap.
When I put it on, it seems to fit just fine, but when I sleep, at some point it makes a loud hissing noise that keeps my wife awake. She made an audio recording and it sounds like the mask is leaking really bad. I've tried to figure out how its leaking. I've tried rolling on my side, pushing on the mask, but to get that amount of sound from her recording I would essentially have to take the mask off.
The My air apps says a have a good seal most nights. About 18 leaks / minute, which it scores as "good."
Any ideas how I can determine how it's leaking? What I can try to prevent it?
I am pretty new at this but I am using the same mask and machine as you are and I get the same "hissing" sound on occasion and it is always from my mask. I have found two things that seem to help with this:

1. I use a cream called "Lansioh" which is a lanolin cream. It's for nursing mothers but works great on your nose to help with the seal and preventing any soreness.
2. Sometimes just gently and slightly lifting and releasing the nasal pillows to let them inflate and seal works wonders.

Aazimon

Post by Aazimon » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:46 pm

Thanks for the information. I will try a cream to help with the seal, and check the tightness of my chin strap.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:32 am

This situation sounds very familiar to me.
My p10 will get turned slightly askew and make loud hissing noises.
If I wiggle it until my nose is comfortable again, the hissing stops.