Lifting the hose up

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Violet West

Lifting the hose up

Post by Violet West » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:09 am

For years, I have used a hose stand or a hose hook contraption to elevate the hose above my head-supposed to make the hose less unwieldy. However, I've noticed during times I don't lift the hose up (e.g., when away from home traveling) there seems to be no difference. It doesn't seem that elevating the hose offers better function, comfort, or convenience. Tje hose is the hose.

What do you think? Should I bother with lifting the hose up? Does it make a difference for you?

Biomed_ZZZ

Re: Lifting the hose up

Post by Biomed_ZZZ » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:25 am

My short answer is - yes for me it matters but everyone is different.

I'm a week into using CPAP and 20+ years ago I had attempted to use a CPAP and the hose was always a problem for me. Back then I had a different headboard and all the stuff available today wasn't around. So I rigged the hose up holding onto the fitted sheet with a clothes pin to keep the hose from weighing down the mask. Today I have a different head board and remember what it was like and my hose is now heated thinking it may weigh more so I took a piece of paracord made 2 loops and have it being suspended from the headboard and I think it makes a difference.

If you are using the same setup for home and travel and you don't see a difference then it doesn't matter to you.

Cruiser1234

Post by Cruiser1234 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:29 am

I don't use one. I just run my hose behind my pillow and wear it normally.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:38 am

Definitely a “your mileage may vary”type of thing. I have no trouble not hanging it. I have more trouble hanging it where if I don’t get enough “play” in the hose I can end up with my p10 pulling away if i turn over too quickly.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:35 pm

There are lots of ways to manage hose position. I have 2 pillows. I sleep on one, and I stand the other one up against the headboard. I route the hose behind that pillow and over the top end of the pillow. It does the trick. I did the same thing when traveling. Having the hose routed from behind or over the top of my head eliminates me getting my arms tangled in it. As far as therapy, I don't think it makes any difference how high per se.

Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset - Former Airsense 10 Autoset
Resmed Airtouch F20 Foam Mask
Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:54 pm

At home, the hoses run up over the headboard of the bed. When we travel, we use two Hose Boss to hold the hoses up. Personally, I sleep better if I don't have to fight the hose.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:35 am

At home, my hose gantry keeps my hose up and out of the way,
and provides a convenient place to hang my mask during the day.
While traveling, scrunchies and safety pins or duck tape do the job nicely.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:37 am

I don't know how many years I've used a Hose Buddy. But I do remember why I got one. I was tired of fighting the hose all night. It would get under me or I would get tangled up in it. I suspect I'm an active sleeper. I suspect I have the "jimmy legs". One night I jerked my head while the hose was under me and I actually tore/ripped the hose. After that I was done fighting it.

Sheriff

JayDee

Post by JayDee » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:53 am

Perhaps it depends on how "active" you are when you sleep. I'm a side-sleeper. Luckily for me, whatever side I'm sleeping on, that side's arm will go numb/asleep and I have to roll-over to the other side until my other arm goes numb. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

As frustrating as that can be, having to also untangle myself from my PAP hose would only add frustration. So, I hang a command-hook over my head and suspend the hose through that with an elastic headband. No worries. And I store a couple of those command-hooks, another elastic headband and an extra pack of command adhesive strips in my PAP travel case so I'm always prepared.

Opinions and experiences may vary. Good Luck!
-JD
If you're not having a good time, *DO* something about it.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:31 am

Violet West wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:09 am
It doesn't seem that elevating the hose offers better function, comfort, or convenience. T
It's an inconvenience, especially when traveling.

Everyone should thoroughly examine their hose management -
- Make sure to use good hose management - the hose should not pull on the mask. Notice how your hose is positioned between machine and mask. It should be positioned to minimize any pull on the mask. Hose management is an individual practice. How it is done depends on the mask, the position of the machine, your sleeping position and other factors specific to the individual.
In the end, some will still find some sort of hanger system adds net value to their CPAP process.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:42 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:37 am
I don't know how many years I've used a Hose Buddy. But I do remember why I got one. I was tired of fighting the hose all night. It would get under me or I would get tangled up in it. I suspect I'm an active sleeper. I suspect I have the "jimmy legs". One night I jerked my head while the hose was under me and I actually tore/ripped the hose. After that I was done fighting it.

Sheriff
Hay man! What's wrong with my legs? :lol:

JPB

Violet West

Post by Violet West » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:52 am

I suspect that the location/position of the CPAP unit relative to the bed and the head makes a difference, also. Thanks for the replies, guys-I will keep experimenting.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:26 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:54 pm
At home, the hoses run up over the headboard of the bed. When we travel, we use two Hose Boss to hold the hoses up. Personally, I sleep better if I don't have to fight the hose.
I, too, sleep better if I don't have to fight the hose. I love the Hose Boss. I used it when I had a mask with a swivel and it could be routed up toward the head of the bed (because of my high, padded headboard, the Hose Boss was stuck on the wall at quite a distance). When I switched to the Bleep, which is now my mask of choice, it does not swivel and is routed down. So I stopped using the Hose Boss and struggled with hose management. Last week I got a hose stand with use it WITH the Hose Boss. What a difference! Great combo...no more struggles!

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:26 pm

Put me on the list of managing my hose with pillows. I would freak out if I woke up and something was hanging over my head. Lol.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:41 pm

There once was a member here who went by the name of Roby Sue. She named her hose Kaa after the snake in The Jungle Book and talked about cuddling up with it. I think it was heated and had a soft cover, so it was like a warm stuffed animal for her.

I hate the hose in my bed. Since very early days I rigged up a contraption with a weighted pulley system that hangs on a wall mounted lamp and keeps the hose up and out of my way. It moves with me and I don't have to think about it. Especially now that the hose connects to the Dream Wear mask at the top of my head, the hose doesn't bother me in any way.

When I travel I take some rubber bands and some elastic headbands with me. Almost always I can find something to hang my hose from using whatever combination of headbands and rubber bands are needed. Usually it's a corner of a headboard or a wall mounted bedside lamp.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm