Just got my new S9 Autoset

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yardbird

Just got my new S9 Autoset

Post by yardbird » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:25 am

After a little hiccup at first, I have my S9 AutoSet, H5i humidifier, climate line hose. 100% covered. No out-of-pocket (ie, no "upgrade charge")

Because the DME originally had an Escape Auto for me.... and I really do believe it was an internal miscommunication at the DME ... they upgraded my humidifier tank to the one that comes apart for cleaning. Not a huge deal, but nice of them to at least acknowledge their mistake and do something to sweeten the pot a bit.

They need my card in a week and then once more at 60 or 90 days (they'll call me) and he said, "If you want to you can just bring it in, we'll read it, and you can take it home with you and put it back in your machine so you don't miss any detaled data." They're only about a 15 minute drive away so this beats mailing it to them as far as I'm concerned.

So they know I'm interested in the data, know I have the software, and are accommodating my desire to have a complete detailed data history. AND they know I have access to the clinician manual and they know I'll be adjusting/tweaking the machine for my comfort and they have no issues with it at all. They are simply not accustomed to dealing with CPAP patients who are as involved in their therapy as we area. And they TOLD me so, and also told me it's a refreshing change to find one who IS involved.

I think I may have found a good DME to work with.

apneawho

Re: Just got my new S9 Autoset

Post by apneawho » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:30 am

Glad you got everything you need and glad you have a good DME to work with. That is wonderful news.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:39 am

Great. Is this the first DME or the second?

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:41 am

yardbird wrote:So they know I'm interested in the data, know I have the software, and are accommodating my desire to have a complete detailed data history. AND they know I have access to the clinician manual and they know I'll be adjusting/tweaking the machine for my comfort and they have no issues with it at all. They are simply not accustomed to dealing with CPAP patients who are as involved in their therapy as we area. And they TOLD me so, and also told me it's a refreshing change to find one who IS involved.

I think I may have found a good DME to work with.
You know, I wish I'd been more proactive when I first started using cpap many years ago. Probably 2003. It's just been since I got my new cpap in November 2011 that was data capable and such that I've really been trying to learn. Perhaps if I'd understood more, I'd have insisted on a second sleep study much sooner. I've felt bad for awhile and just never put that together with my sleep apnea. It wasn't until my doc suggested a second sleep study that I went for one. It scared me how much worse my apnea had gotten and I can only wonder how long I've been sleeping like that!

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:51 am

Lizistired wrote:Great. Is this the first DME or the second?
This was DME #2 (NOT ApneaCare) and not tied to Dr's office. A pleasure to work with, truly. Wish I'd found them 12 years ago.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:38 pm

I wonder why the DME wants your data when they know you can download them yourself? Personally, I wouldn't give em' squat... but that's just me. Glad to see you have found a good DME. Good ones are hard to come by.

Sheriff

STL Mark

Post by STL Mark » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Congratulations on your search for a good DME. Sounds like you hit the jackpot.

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Sheriff Buford wrote:I wonder why the DME wants your data when they know you can download them yourself? Personally, I wouldn't give em' squat... but that's just me. Glad to see you have found a good DME. Good ones are hard to come by.

Sheriff
They need the compliance data for the insurance company. I even saw what they were billing the insurance company and, frankly, the total they are charging (for the AutoSet, the H5i and the climate line) is less than it would cost me to just buy the S9 itself. I'm in a self-funded insurance plan so I pay attention to those things. Everyone should, but when you're in a self-funded plan it affects the others in your group if you just go with whomever and don't look at the cost.

They also told me when it comes time for a mask, I can try as many as I like until I find one that works. As long as I have it back within 30 days if I'm not keeping it. They said ALL of their mask manufacturers have this policy. I asked how that affects insurance. They said, insurance only gets billed for a mask. "If it takes us 8 or 10 masks to get you one that works for you then WE should be paying better attention."

I wonder if the reason they seem to be this good is that the OWNER uses CPAP.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:54 pm

Sheriff Buford wrote:I wonder why the DME wants your data when they know you can download them yourself? Personally, I wouldn't give em' squat... but that's just me. Glad to see you have found a good DME. Good ones are hard to come by.

Sheriff
Well, if they're competent, they could look at the data, make it available to the doctor, check for problems, make suggestions, etc. Not every patient really knows how to interpret CPAP data on their own.

More likely though is that it's to prove compliance for insurance.

In terms of sending them the data, why not just get another SD card and mail them one and swap cards until the next time you need to send them a card.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:03 pm

archangle wrote:In terms of sending them the data, why not just get another SD card and mail them one and swap cards until the next time you need to send them a card.
I could do that, but they're so close to home and I drive right by them probably once a week anyways, it would probably take less time to walk in with the card, let them read it, and then get it right back and continue on with my day, than it would to mail it to them and drive over to the post office.