Distilled water leaked!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cowlypso

Distilled water leaked!

Post by cowlypso » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:02 pm

But not from where you're thinking... I've read all sorts of posts about water containement devices to keep one's CPAP machine inside so that if the humidifier happened to spontaneously spring a leak both the furniture and the machine would be protected from water damage.

But I've yet to see any posts about the gallon jug of distilled water springing a leak! I just got back from a 2-week trip out of town. Thought my jug looked lower than I'd remembered when I got back, but it's been a very busy two weeks so I figured I was mistaken. Just picked up the jug to refill my humidifier and noticed a drip on the bottom of it. The bottle has been leaking all over my dresser for 2 weeks. Totally ruined the wood.

I'm tempted to contact the store I bought it from and ask for reimbursement for the replacement of my furniture. I did not in any way abuse my jug. Brought it home from the store and left it sitting on the dresser. Picked it up a few times to pour into my humidifier. Never dropped it or banged it into anything. I'm so mad!

idamtnboy

Re: Distilled water leaked!

Post by idamtnboy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:28 pm

cowlypso wrote:But not from where you're thinking... I've read all sorts of posts about water containement devices to keep one's CPAP machine inside so that if the humidifier happened to spontaneously spring a leak both the furniture and the machine would be protected from water damage.

But I've yet to see any posts about the gallon jug of distilled water springing a leak! I just got back from a 2-week trip out of town. Thought my jug looked lower than I'd remembered when I got back, but it's been a very busy two weeks so I figured I was mistaken. Just picked up the jug to refill my humidifier and noticed a drip on the bottom of it. The bottle has been leaking all over my dresser for 2 weeks. Totally ruined the wood.

I'm tempted to contact the store I bought it from and ask for reimbursement for the replacement of my furniture. I did not in any way abuse my jug. Brought it home from the store and left it sitting on the dresser. Picked it up a few times to pour into my humidifier. Never dropped it or banged it into anything. I'm so mad!
With billions of plastic jugs being manufactured every year there's bound to be a bad one once in awhile in spite of the best quality control measures. You are just the unlucky one who hit the jackpot.

I think you could make a good claim on your homeowner's insurance.

cowlypso

Post by cowlypso » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:07 am

I doubt my homeowner's insurance is interested. Thankfully it's not an expensive piece of furniture. It's one of those assemble-yourself jobs that probably cost me less than $100 when I bought it 7 years ago. So even if I submitted a claim, after they looked at its depreciated value or whatever, I'd probably get a big fat check for $12 or something.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:12 am

Just last week, I stepped out of bed onto wet carpet. My spare jug of distilled water had about one inch of water left in it. There was a small crack about one inch from the bottom and I don't know how long it took to drain out because I usually step right into slippers, but my foot slipped and I felt water. What a mess!

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Vader

Post by Vader » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:54 pm

I've had jugs leak many times while being stored in my garage, which is another reason why I'm glad I've been distilling my own water, and store it in a leak proof container.

Vader

cowlypso

Post by cowlypso » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:18 pm

I went into the store where I bought it (it was the store brand) and they took an accident/property damage report. Took down all the info and took the pictures I had of the damage. Not sure if anything will come of it. You'd think that they'd put a little more care into the manufacture and handling of these jugs so they wouldn't just crack open like this...

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:00 pm

It's a given any container that holds a liquid could develop a leak, so care should be taken to prevent damage. INS will have a higher deductable than the damage, do you have Flood Ins. Jim
I keep mine on the floor, if it leaks the termites can drink it up.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:37 am

My large container of Alhambra distilled water leaked last night as well. Fortunately, there was not alot left in it, but it still managed to all drip out from a very tiny hole created by a crease in the plastic. This was my very first container of distilled water.

Last edited by davelikesbeer on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:46 am

The plastic is so thin that any little bump can cause a leak. Since it was full when you purchased the jug, it can be assumed that the leak occurred after you bought it. I'll bet that is what the outcome will be...

The moral of this story is...don't store liquids where a leak can cause damage.

kempo

Post by kempo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:15 am

LSAT wrote:The moral of this story is...don't store liquids where a leak can cause damage.
BINGO!

Karina200

Post by Karina200 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:11 pm

I used distilled water in the bottle sterilizer for my baby as well as with my iron. every single gallon jug a leaked in the past year or so. It has to be something about distilled water that's causing the leaks because i buy spring water from the same manufacturer and never experienced a leak. I just decided to google this issue to see if I was the only one experiencing it

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:42 pm

cowlypso wrote:I
I'd probably get a big fat check for $12 or something.
And your premiums would rise about 10x that...

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:42 pm

Karina200 wrote:I used distilled water in the bottle sterilizer for my baby as well as with my iron. every single gallon jug a leaked in the past year or so. It has to be something about distilled water that's causing the leaks because i buy spring water from the same manufacturer and never experienced a leak. I just decided to google this issue to see if I was the only one experiencing it
I usually have a few gallon jugs of distilled water in the house. I've been doing this for 7 years or so. Walmart brand, store generic, or brand name. I'm not particularly gentle with them, but I'm not abusive. I keep them in the garage or on the kitchen floor or counter where a leak would be less of a disaster.

I might have had a leak or two in 7 years, but not often enough that I clearly remember it happening.

I pour the distilled water into a 20 ounce drinking water bottle and keep the drinking water bottle near the humidifier to fill the humidifier. I don't recall a leaking problem with them, either.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:47 pm

If you use tap water, that's never a problem...

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

AmIawake

Post by AmIawake » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:38 pm

I purchased 3 gallon jugs of generic store brand distilled water to start my xPAP journey. 2 of the 3 jugs leaked. I decided to purchase a more substantial plastic gallon several weeks ago. It cost about 40 cents extra compared to the really flimsy plastic jugs. I will keep that bottle and refill it from the cheaper flimsy jugs in the future. I have an older plastic jug of distilled water that is kept to refill lead acid batteries. Hasn't leaked in over 20 years. Progress isn't always better.

When do I get the t-shirt?