My first week - new sensations!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleeplessInBrussels

My first week - new sensations!

Post by SleeplessInBrussels » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:00 am

I've been a week on CPAP. I had 2 bad nights and 2 good nights (where I only wake up once) and 2 nights on the weekend I drank wine before I slept and they were good nights but I feel that doesn't count because of the wine - like I cheated

Last night was a good night (woke up once only to go pee) and this morning when I came to the office I felt 'different'. I can't exactly describe it. More alert ... felt like the inside of my body (like my organs) were lighter - I felt slimmer (this doesn't match what I see in the mirror as I'm still 20 kgs heavier than I should be). I felt positive (not that I'm depressed normally). It was a nice feeling. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? A few hours later the feeling started going away and I felt the usual stinging in my eyes from the tiredness and yawned a few times - though it's been coming and going - not constant like other days.

The way I felt this morning - I'm wondering if that's a taste of how it feels when the CPAP works?!

Sheriff Buford

Re: My first week - new sensations!

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:28 am

Brussels: welcome to the world of Cpap. What you felt is your body telling you that you are going down the right path. My second or third morning after starting cpap therapy was like the morning you described. Even though I was fighting the mask, and trying to sleep with the dang cpap contraption... I awoke so refreshed!!! It was a feeling that I haven't had in years. That one morning makes me continue with this treatment and will help me to do it the rest of my life. As you see folks here struggling, you wonder why folks go thru it. They do it for the morning you just described. Keep it up! Over the next year you see more improvements, and they will probably be small, but they will be there.

Happy papin'!

Sheriff

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:45 am

SleeplessInBrussels wrote:The way I felt this morning
- I'm wondering if that's a taste of how it feels when the CPAP works?!

Welcome to your new life.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44517
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:04 am

I've found that, over time, the good feeling stays through the day. You begin to notice that you're yawning a lot less most days, and that you're not always tired in the afternoon. Soon, you start to feel like a normal person LOL!

Yes, you're feeling the results of getting real sleep. They may keep growing in leaps and bounds, or very slowly, but stick with CPAP and they WILL continue to grow.

wolewyck

Post by wolewyck » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:09 am

Yep; that's a good start! Most likely, those good feelings will persist for longer and longer each day as your body catches up on its sleep deficit. After a while, you may find yourself no longer procrastinating as much, finally getting to some of those items on your "to do" list that always seemed like such a burden, and not being as stymied by every tiny bump in the road of life. YAY.

SleeplessInBrussels

Post by SleeplessInBrussels » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:11 am

Yay indeed! Thanks for the encouragement guys. I've been in this community a week and it's been an enormous help to get through these first days. I feel all I do is take take take but hope one day I'll be able to give give give back to other novices. Signing off before I start sounding like a Hallmark card