Dent in my head from the straps

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zonker

Re: Dent in my head from the straps

Post by zonker » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:12 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:25 pm
Pugsy wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:08 am
You all want to see dents? :lol: :lol: I have woke up with dents in my face/cheeks from the sleeping on the short hose. Now that is a sight to see for sure.
Only she refuses to let cameras near here at those times...
I do have a picture of the real pugsy... she's gorgeous... (in all fairness, it was a glamor shot.. but ... wow.
she posted it here ONCE and for a limited time only.

and i completely agree with your assessment!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:31 pm

I started wearing a little head band like you use for skiing to keep your ears warm, to keep the head gear from digging into the back of my neck... that may be an option as well. Anything you can sleep comfortably with that you have right now can be improvised to provide some relief. Your just looking to even out the pressure from the head gear straps so they press on a larger surface with a softer interface.

Don't forget to re-ajust your straps as the added fabric from what ever you do is going to change the fit.

I've sketched out a pattern for my head gear to make a padded headgear cover that matches my hose cover but I haven't gotten around to sewing it yet. Maybe one-day... LOL until then it's skiing headband to the rescue.

Rest well,

Gryphon

Vajrabell

Post by Vajrabell » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:18 pm

I have exactly the same problem. I use the airsense p10 and just try and keep the strap in different places (like the back strap up in my hair and the front one more forward) so that over time the dent isn't as much. It feels a little alarming when you first discover it but like people have said, it's soft tissue not skull and does change again when you stop pressing it down. I too will now try the padacheek.
Vajrabell

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:53 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:25 pm

I do have a picture of the real pugsy... she's gorgeous... (in all fairness, it was a glamor shot.. but ... wow.
Here she is:
pugsy.jpg
pugsy.jpg (5.36 KiB) Viewed 18901 times
I agree, wow! :wink:

JPB

SlackerInc

Post by SlackerInc » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:25 am

I have a shaved head and am a side sleeper, so the dents in my scalp on the left side are very visible on my pale skin, a striking outline. Today I almost cancelled going to the in-laws for Xmas, and once I was there I kept turning to keep my left side away from everyone. It was kind of a nightmare, very embarrassing. That Bleep deal is not an option: I use a full face mask because my nose is often congested and I mostly breathe through my mouth.

So I was kind of horrified by all the posts about how it’s fine, your hair covers it up anyway. Mine doesn’t! :(

I am going to try the suggestion of a bandana between the mask straps and the left side of my head. Thanks for this, good idea—I’ll report back as to how well it works.
I “graduated” from BiPAP to IVAPS after my third sleep study. My machine is not listed as a choice: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A with humidifier and FFM

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:40 am

A bandanna is good, lined with a strip of batting even better.
Sew or stick batting (or fleece) in place with fabric glue or double stick tape.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:02 pm

If it's not too warn, I usually wear a stocking cap to bed each night, I pull it down in the back to keep the head gear from rubbing into the back of my neck and causing ingrown hairs. Find a comfortable soft cap you can wear to bed and try your mask on, make sure to loosen up your head gear to account for the extra layers.

Restwell,

Gryphon

SlackerInc

Post by SlackerInc » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:06 am

The bandana worked! There were some kind of wrinkle marks on my jaw and upper neck from the bandana itself, but way less obvious looking than the strap shape. Thanks 🙏
I “graduated” from BiPAP to IVAPS after my third sleep study. My machine is not listed as a choice: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A with humidifier and FFM

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:25 pm

SlackerInc wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:06 am
The bandana worked! There were some kind of wrinkle marks on my jaw and upper neck from the bandana itself, but way less obvious looking than the strap shape. Thanks 🙏
thank you for coming back to update us! i find it frustrating when a user comes in, gets advice then never tells us how it went.

thank you for not being "that user".
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

SlackerInc

Post by SlackerInc » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:51 pm

I hear you, NP

SKBERRYFARM

Post by SKBERRYFARM » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:05 am

I took my soft chest strap cover that I had on my car seat belt and put it on my cpap head strap. So far the indentation is getting less because the strap is wider. Pad-a-cheek was not wide enough or thick enough to help my indentation.