CPAP Broke

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jenn52

CPAP Broke

Post by jenn52 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi. On Thanksgiving night my CPAP machine stopped working in the middle of the night. It's a Respironics System One REMstar Pro C-Flex Plus. It started beeping and then said service required. I tried unplugging & restarting and it would try to start but then stop. I called my supplier on Friday but being the holiday weekend there is nothing they can do until Monday. Last night was awful. I've been using it for over a year and a half and am very attached. LOL I didn't sleep well and I woke up so many times with my throat soooo sore and dry. When I finally got up this morning my uvula is very swollen and it hurts to eat and swallow. And I still have at least two more nights like this. My supplier wanted to ship out my replacement on Monday, but I didn't want to wait for shipping so hopefully they will be available for me to come pick it up. In the meantime, is there anything I can do to relieve the throat issues? Would running a humidifier help?? I don't usually even use my heated humidifier on my machine because it's so humid where I live. I can't believe how awful I feel after just one (and a half) night.

Elle

Re: CPAP Broke

Post by Elle » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:02 pm

I feel your pain....and your addiction. I was going to try to go a night without my cpap last night just to see how I felt but I stared at it on my bedside table as if it was a syringe full of heroin and finally reached for it with a sigh.

I would try using a humidifier for the next couple of nights to see if it makes a difference. I hope it does. argghhhh.

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:42 pm

Jenn,
Very sorry for the predicament you're in. This is a classic example for why every CPAP user should have a back-up machine. Check your local Craigslist and locate and purchase a machine for such emergencies. You will be surprised how inexpensive used machines are.
Jamis

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:55 pm

jenn52.

This might be a long shot, but do you know anyone here at the forum or some immediate family or friend, who is close enough to where you live and might have a machine you could borrow for a couple of nights? Anyone who is a CPAP user and has had any success at all in their treatment would totally understand where you are coming from and share a spare/back-up machine (I know I would).

I think that DME's/Suppliers should consider the impact both physically & emotionally even a few nights can have, especially for those for whom it has become their 'Heroin' as Elle so vividly stated.

I have only been on this CPAP journey for 17 nights now, but my heart goes out to you or anyone in this situation. Hang in there the best you can. Hopefully something will come about to help you get through this with the least anxiety and discomfort possible.

John

Last edited by 2 B Sleeping Soundly on Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

harry33

Post by harry33 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:13 pm

turn it on and drop on floor, the shock may make it work again, Ive done this several times
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:19 pm

Went without my machine one night I had food poisoning. I couldn't get my mask off fast enough . I slept in my recliner ( when I did sleep) and I was fine next morning. I do have a back up machine I bought from another forum member...might be a good idea for you too.....never know when your main machine is going to crap out.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:24 am

A long shot, but is the air inlet plugged?

fuzzy96

Post by fuzzy96 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:23 am

if all else fails sleping upright in a recliner will help. i may not be the best sleep but it will cut down on the apneas. anyone having shoulder surgeries can tell you that.

a backup is a good idea. but its too late for that this time. but i'm sure you realize by now it's something to check in to.

one day for a dme to get you a loaner is understandable but two and three days is totally unacceptable.time todump the dme.that is no kind of service. a call to your sleep doc even if theydon't get it till monday morn is a good idea. dme's hate to hear from them. it may change thier attitude.

BusyLyn

Post by BusyLyn » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:06 pm

I just did a search on 'service required' and found this thread. I also have a Remstar Pro C-Flex Plus, and it woke me up on Thanksgiving morning with the dreaded 'service required'. From the card data I luckily had a full night's sleep before the machine died. While I had very little sleep Thanksgiving night, even though the machine's DME was closed until Monday, someone did agree to meet me at the store to swap out my dead machine with a loaner.

It just seems strange that 2 people here report that their identical systems have died on the same day. Is there a group of ill-fated Remstar Pros? I received mine on 10/28/2010, and used it faithfully each and every night until it died -- almost 13 months. Or are Jenn52 and I merely unlucky?

Lyn
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Clare74

Post by Clare74 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:13 am

I haven't any suggestions I'm affraid but just wanted to share my sympathies with you.