Sleep study "How often" ? Are you kidding me ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Sleep study "How often" ? Are you kidding me ?

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:42 pm

"Buh-bye!"
Get thee away from this greedy quack ASAP!

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:42 pm

Need to get another doctor. Your machine will give the doc plenty of data. It's treated data...only.

This thread has got me thinking. We we REALLY wanted to know (and I mean REALLY), we could ramp our machines down real low.... just above the uncomfortable range, but well under the treated range. Then... get our results the next morning. This would tell us how bad our apnea really is... Kinda sick... huh?

Sheriff

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Sheriff, go get that unethical doc for us! You can return to tracking Pugsy down after that.

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:01 pm

That is so wrong. I can't believe it. That is insane. Are they going to do the study for free?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:05 pm

Even if you are not on Medicare, this doc may be ripping off Medicare--good to give them the heads-up!

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:06 pm

I had 9 sleep studies - 8 of which were for the purpose of trying to eliminate/treat seizures which were happening in my sleep (also when I was awake). Last study in 2007, got a new machine when mine was going out last yr. Only used data from 2007 study to get my new machine. Most of my supplies have been paid thru insurance & they use the 2007 study data for that too.

Time to look for a new Dr. I would not fire the existing Dr until you get a new one, just because its easier to get records transferred that way. I fired a Dr once & played hell getting the records transferred - had to insist it was the LAW for me to have my records to get them. Just a thought. Also, you definitely want to call your insurance company & tip them off to this kind of abuse of the system.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

tqpannie

Post by tqpannie » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:21 pm

I saw my sleep doctor in January and the only thing she stated is that we might do a send home oximetry set up for me in July just to see where my O2 levels are if we drop the o2 from 2.5 to 2.0. I'm okay with that--she said that I don't have to have another study unless my AHI goes way up again.

allen476

Post by allen476 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:25 pm

As others have said, run away from this quack like your ass is on fire.

Last sleep study was 3 years ago and that was because I was having difficulty with a pressure of 19 and did a bipap study. I wouldn't have done it otherwise.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:29 pm

My sleep doctor said that as long as I watched my AHI and it stayed under 5 and I had no other issues reoccur that i didn't need to see him or have another study. That was 3 years ago.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:21 pm

My sleep doctor did a 6 week followup, then 6 months later, mostly to make sure things were on track and that the initial issues of getting used to it were improving. Normally, his next appointment would be a year later if things are looking fine. He is a neurologist who specializes in sleep and headaches. At my 6 month appointment, I brought up my headaches. My morning headaches are pretty much gone (unless I sleep a long night without my machine,and I know that is my instant feedback for not using my machine). But I still have weather change headaches. He gave me a headache diary to use, and scheduled a followup in 6 months (unless my headaches get worse and I want to come in sooner). In fact, they are much fewer now, so maybe the cpap is also helping with those too.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

porete

Post by porete » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:20 pm

caffeinatedcfo wrote:
mrnetwurm wrote: it's her policy to check all her patients every six months with a new sleep study. Her office also happens to be the sleep clinic.
Yep - time to switch doc. She is abusing the system and is contributing to the over-inflated cost of medical insurance! I wonder what your insurance carrier would say if you advised.
I agree. I am not even sure if insurance would cover one every six months...they are so expensive. It kind of sounds like your MD is making lots of money from unsuspecting patients. If he/she accepts Medicare, it could also be a fraud issue. I had my study in 07/2011, and my MD has not said one word about another one.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Wow!! Talking about brazen!

Is it me, or are a lot of docs starting to take the crooked mechanic route?

mrnetwurm

Post by mrnetwurm » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks for all the great replies. I did confirm with my medical supplier that my script was written to expire after one year. I will be asking my primary care doc to take over.