Allergic reaction to mask!! OUCH!!! HELP!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
monkeybutler

Allergic reaction to mask!! OUCH!!! HELP!

Post by monkeybutler » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:29 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to the community, but have been a CPAP user for over 5 years. I have always had a Fisker Paykel Machine and a Comfort Gel mask. Here's the story....I CAN NOT SLEEP WITHOUT MY MASK!! LOL I know most people hate their masks, but I literally can't even take a nap without using the machine. I recently started getting a severe and painful rash under my nose and on the side of my nose. I've also been getting welts under my eyes. Before you ask, yes I clean them properly and I have my parts replaced every three months. My dermatologist thinks I've developed either a silicone or latex allergy and that's whats causing the problem. While I tend to agree with the allergic reaction, I'm not entirely sold on it. I don't use a humidifier, never have, yet I consistently get condensation build up inside of my mask (not the tube, just the mask). I think this adds even more irritation. I've searched and searched for a hypoallergenic mask and have really only found 2. The Sleep Weaver and the Resmed Mirage Full Face Series 2. Before I go out and spend a fortune on new equipment, I thought I'd come on here and ask for advice. Anyone else have similar issues (ie the rash and the condensation from the breath)? What were your solutions? Has anyone tried the two masks I listed?? Feedback is GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you!!!!
Last edited by monkeybutler on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT

Re: Allergic reaction to mask!! OUCH!!! HELP!

Post by LSAT » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Check out the Remzzzs mask liners

http://www.remzzzs.com/Default.asp

monkeybutler

Post by monkeybutler » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:38 pm

I've used the Remzzz's. They really didn't work for me. I was really hopeful that they would, but they wouldn't stay in place and didn't go down far enough under the nose to avoid the rash. Good suggestion though! Thanks!! Forgot to mention that

sister

Post by sister » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:46 pm

OH YES,I have severe allergies to all the masks. I don't have a rash but if the mask so much as touches my face it will take the skin off!
I have tried for years and have finally settled on the Comfortlite 2 nasal pillows,which the only part that touches the face just below the nostrils I have covered with fabric.

I also use the Sleepweaver,which as you know is cloth.

After my sleep study I came out of the room and the tech said,'my GOD! did the mask do that to your face?
So you very well could be allergic to the mask.
Good Luck!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:49 pm

If remzz don't fit, make your own out of well washed knit cotton or work with Padacheek to design some to your specs.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Goofy

Post by Goofy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:07 pm

You can also go to padacheek.com and see if there is anything there that might work as a mask liner.
Good luck.

jromano

Post by jromano » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi monkeybutler,

Here's the bad news about allergies: they can come and go pretty much as they please. I'm over-simplifying (and assigning them a cheesy personification), but IgE antibodies can be sensitized to a huge range of substances without an apparent trigger.

Latex and silicone are both fairly well-known allergens. The Fisher and Paykel Comfort Gel mask is latex free, which leaves silicone. Talk to your doctor - a simple skin test will determine whether you are allergic or not.
Silicone is found in the majority of CPAP masks in some shape or form. Some make direct contact with the skin, some do not. Those that do not may be more tolerable to someone with a mild silicone allergy.

As a note: hypoallergenic in this case implies that a product is clean, most likely made of medical grade materials, and that it is less likely to produce an allergic reaction. A mask containing silicone can very easily still be (correctly) labeled as hypoallergenic. The terms does NOT imply that a product is devoid of all materials that could provoke an allergic reaction.

You can certainly try making or buying a buffer of some sort out of a comfortable material - some great suggestions have already been thrown in the pot.

That is my personal, non-medical opinion at any rate...

Best of luck to you in your quest! You WILL find something that works - keep trying...

Cheers,
Jess
Disclosure: Any views or information expressed are opinions of the poster only and are not medical advice. Please consult with your doctor or healthcare professional with any questions regarding your health.

Crabby in SA

Post by Crabby in SA » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:43 pm

I have been using CPAP for about 4 years now with pretty good success. My CPAP is a ResMed Humidaire 3i and my full face mask is a ResMed Mirage Quattro. First tried a nasal pillow but I have a deviated septum. In October I developed a rash everywhere that the mask contacts my face and puffy redness around my eyes.

The dermatologist told me to stop using CPAP for 2 weeks and gave me steroids. Condition improved and I started using CPAP off and on. Skin condition gets better and then worse. Then rash spread to my chest and neck area. Dermatologist thought it may not be the mask and tested me for airborne and latex allergies which were negative. Today I have hives on my neck. Dermatologist says my skin is now very hyperactive.

Yesterday my sleep doctor told me she doesn't think I can tolerate CPAP mask anymore. Wants me to see a dentist for evaluation for a mouth appliance which may require another sleep study.

All of this has been disappointing. But after reading this post I am going to go back to the respiratory clinic for evaluation for a different mask and keep trying. I'm hopeful something will work!

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:25 pm

in your case have you 1.) washed your mask? or 2.) tried a sleepweaver?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:39 pm

I am suspicious about when you got the offending mask/cushion.
If it was shortly before you had the reaction, I would suspect a change in manufacturing:
If a vendor source has changed, perhaps there was a change in material content. Is this possible?
If you had been using the SAME cushion for a long time, I would urge you to insist on an allergy test.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:39 pm

Consider the possibility that you're allergic to something other than the mask.

Are you allergic to something you use in the cleaning process? Cleaners, paper towels, laundry detergent used to wash a cloth you use, cloths. Is it possible the mask touches something else when you store it or sit it down between sessions and picks up something irritating? Is there something like cleanser, cream, etc. that gets on your face or hands and provokes an allergic reaction only where the mask touches because of pressure, humidity, etc.? How about the traces of laundry detergent or fabric softener from towels?

Lots of skin care products have lanolin in them, which comes from sheep. Lots of people develop allergies.

Be sure to wash your face where the mask touches before putting it on. Also consider the possibility that what you're using to clean your face is what is causing the problems.

Yes, you're probably allergic to the mask itself, but a lot of these ideas are easy to try out.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

physicsbob

Post by physicsbob » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:21 pm

When I wore a TENS unit I became Allergic to the gel electrodes, I used a roll on skin protectant that is used for colostomy patients. I think it was called "Liquid Skin". It was a clear liquid that rolled on just like deodorant and dried to form a thin barrier, It worked good for the gel electrodes even though current was passing through the barrier. Without it the outer layer of the skin would peel off after just a few hours of use, with it on I could wear the electrodes for all day without problems. I hope you find something that works for you because I know how it feels when you need to use something to have a life and suffer through open skin sores to do use it.

codinqueen

Post by codinqueen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:13 pm

Yes, sounds like Latex allergy, might also be silicone allergy. I have Latex allergy and cautioned sleeplab tech about it, so we chose ResMed's Swift FX for Her since there is no Latex . Only part that touches face is just a small piece of silicone under the nose, above upper lip area. I have not had any welts, which is what happens to me when exposed to Latex. You should probably have allergy test, but also should avoid Latex and silicone touching your skin, and possibly your mucous membranes, until you have some answers.

Pressure 6-10 cm