heart rate really high on waking in morning?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pandatx

heart rate really high on waking in morning?

Post by pandatx » Wed May 15, 2013 5:44 am

just wondering if anyone else experiences this and if so do you know why it happens? I take my blood pressure and heart rate when I get out of bed in the morning and without fail it is really high. It might go down 10 beats within 15 minutes of waking and moving around? I would expect my heartrate to be fairly low right when waking, not consistently very high.

quietmorning

Re: heart rate really high on waking in morning?

Post by quietmorning » Wed May 15, 2013 5:57 am

I experience this if my apnea is high or has been high for some consistent nights or if I have a cluster fairly close to my wake time. You've been having a rough time of it trying to get things figured out - so your heart is probably tired. It's reacting the same way it would react if it were an athletic heart and ran a several races for several days in a row without a break.

I so hope you find a mask that works for you very soon. (((((((((hugs))))))))))

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed May 15, 2013 6:05 am

pandatx wrote:just wondering if anyone else experiences this and if so do you know why it happens? I take my blood pressure and heart rate when I get out of bed in the morning and without fail it is really high. It might go down 10 beats within 15 minutes of waking and moving around? I would expect my heartrate to be fairly low right when waking, not consistently very high.
What do you consider high? How are you measuring it?

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Wed May 15, 2013 6:22 am

I have a blood pressure cuff that measures both blood pressure and heart rate but also manually. My normal heart rate is in the 70s. I've had tachycardia since developing Graves disease. I'm waking up with my heart rate anywhere between 105 and 118. That's very high for me. I'm 5'7, 128 pounds, very fit.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed May 15, 2013 6:29 am

pandatx wrote:I have a blood pressure cuff that measures both blood pressure and heart rate but also manually. My normal heart rate is in the 70s. I've had tachycardia since developing Graves disease. I'm waking up with my heart rate anywhere between 105 and 118. That's very high for me. I'm 5'7, 128 pounds, very fit.
Yep, you need to report it to your doctor if it keeps up. Do you have a way of keeping a tab on your heart rate through out the day? If you sit down and watch tv or read and it stays above 100 you need to talk to your doc so that he/she can put you on a medication to help regulate your heartrate. The apnea will effect this, and as you said, the graves disease.

This started with me before I was diagnosed with apnea because of a very heavy dose of a drug (neurotin) they gave me for a misdiagnosed disease. I weighed 122 and worked out for nearly two hours every day - had a waking heart rate of 62 and a bp of 84/48 most of the time. Suddenly my heart rate was over 110 even when I was resting, and it was keeping me awake at night because it would not slow down. My bp started going up, too. They put me on a beta blocker which did very well in regulating my heart rate - but didn't bother to take me off of it when I found I had been misdiagnosed and got off the neurotin. I'm getting off the beta blocker now, and my heart rate is doing just fine.

Once your apnea is well managed, you may be able to go off of it, though I don't know if the graves disease will continue to effect it.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 15, 2013 6:33 am

It might also occur with abnormal blood sugar levels.

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Wed May 15, 2013 7:11 am

I've been keeping track during the day. For reference, On last Monday (the 7th), after he told me not to take the beta blocker b/c my blood pressure had gotten too low I had one day where my resting heart rate was around 80-85 and my blood pressure was 94/66 (it was only 84/61 when I woke up). By Wed (the 9th) my resting heart rate was staying anywhere from 85-100 and blood pressure around 100/65. But...by this Monday, my heart rate (resting) stayed between 102 and 115 all day, blood pressure 109/76. I finally took a 1/4 pill and it dropped to heart rate 77 blood pressure 100/72. Yesterday, heartrate in the mid 90's all day. This morning it was 108 when I woke up.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Wed May 15, 2013 8:29 am

Your heart rate is likely being affected by thyroid problems if you have been Dx'd with Graves.

BP of 100/70 is too low and you should avoid the beta blocker and instead go see an endocrinologist.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Wed May 15, 2013 8:30 am

I left him a message this morning. Waiting to hear back. He told me to stop taking it when my blood pressure was 84/66. That worried him. 100/70 is a little high for me. My normal is low to begin with. This all sucks so much.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed May 15, 2013 8:43 am

If you are not wearing you cpap then any apnea event will trigger a racing heart as your body goes into panic mode as you lay there dying from being choked.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Wed May 15, 2013 10:23 am

pandatx wrote:I've been keeping track during the day. For reference, On last Monday (the 7th), after he told me not to take the beta blocker b/c my blood pressure had gotten too low I had one day where my resting heart rate was around 80-85 and my blood pressure was 94/66 (it was only 84/61 when I woke up). By Wed (the 9th) my resting heart rate was staying anywhere from 85-100 and blood pressure around 100/65. But...by this Monday, my heart rate (resting) stayed between 102 and 115 all day, blood pressure 109/76. I finally took a 1/4 pill and it dropped to heart rate 77 blood pressure 100/72. Yesterday, heartrate in the mid 90's all day. This morning it was 108 when I woke up.
Hi Amy -- Did the doc tell you to stop the beta blocker all at once? I know of cases of "rebound" rapid heart rate on discontinuing beta blockers. Not because the BB's are addictive like some medications, just a matter of too jarring to the system to just stop suddenly. Some docs dismiss the idea but I've had at least a couple of people report too fast heart rate after stopping (in the cases I heard about the BB was atenolol). And if your Graves is still not fully under control, I'm guessing it's a factor too.

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Wed May 15, 2013 10:34 am

He did tell me to stop them all at once. I was only on them for about 2-3 weeks and a very low dose. I was taking half a pill. I spoke with my brother today (he's a doctor) and I feel a little better. At least better until I can talk with the Endo. I'm sure its all fine but its just all new to me and I don't know yet what is worrisome and what isn't. Now I'm more worried about them thinking I'm just a huge pain in the ass.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Wed May 15, 2013 10:39 am

pandatx wrote: Now I'm more worried about them thinking I'm just a huge pain in the ass.
Oh, dear Amy, that is the last thing you should worry about.

On a low dose for only a couple of weeks, probably not a med discontinuation effect, though it does correspond in time with when you stopped taking it. Maybe Graves sx popping through. Nice to have a doctor in the family to put your mind at ease.

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Wed May 15, 2013 11:53 am

Kaiasgram, you're right And yes, I'm so thankful for my brother. It was actually happening back when I had the sleep study. So...I do think it has to do with the Graves. My brother said it could be something to do with my cortisol/adrenals which probably is related to the thyroid stuff. There's just no way to tell anything until we get that stabilized. I can say with certainty it has nothing to do with sleeping with or without my mask. My apnea is not severe and it doesn't seem to make a difference in my heartrate at all. One thing I'm not putting myself through right now is dealing with the mask when I'm already trying to get to sleep with a rapid heartrate.

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Wed May 15, 2013 12:57 pm

pandatx wrote:just wondering if anyone else experiences this and if so do you know why it happens? I take my blood pressure and heart rate when I get out of bed in the morning and without fail it is really high. It might go down 10 beats within 15 minutes of waking and moving around? I would expect my heartrate to be fairly low right when waking, not consistently very high.
Hi pandatx!

Actually I experienced it this morning. No where near as high as it has been in times past but above the normal very quiet rates.

In my case I believe it is caused by an over active nervous system likely related to frayed nerves (Post Traumatic Stress (PTS)). The simple solution for me is to use techniques to slow my breathing rate, reduce the air volume used, and so return to a eucapnic state. As I do this I can feel the blood return to my feet, a feeling of warmth, my heart rate slow, and the urge to breath so much evaporates.

Today I will look at my stress levels, try to walk my 10,000 or so steps, do a resistance workout at the gym, and eat some anti-inflammatory foods. I will strive to better manage stress in my life.

If it happens consistently and I cannot control it with other means I will use EERS[1]. I hope they do develop Dynamic CO2 therapy[2] for us in the future.

Have a great week!!

Todzo

[1]: Gilmartin G, McGeehan B, Vigneault K, Daly RW, Manento M, Weiss JW, Thomas RJ.
Treatment of positive airway pressure treatment-associated respiratory instability with enhanced expiratory rebreathing space (EERS).
Source: J Clin Sleep Med. 2010 Dec 15;6(6):529-38. Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA.
Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21206741

[2]: Dynamic CO2 therapy in periodic breathing: a modeling study to determine optimal timing and dosage regimes
Yoseph Mebrate, Keith Willson, Charlotte H. Manisty, Resham Baruah, Jamil Mayet, Alun D. Hughes, Kim H. Parker and Darrel P. Francis
J Appl Physiol 107:696-706, 2009. First published 23 July 2009; doi: 10.1152/japplphysiol.90308.2008
Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19628721
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!