AHI worse after APAP changed to CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
needzzzzs

AHI worse after APAP changed to CPAP

Post by needzzzzs » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Had my sleep study about a month ago.

My original home study showed an AHI of 16 (roughly 3 years ago). APAP with pressures of 5-12 got me an average AHI of just over 5.

My baseline study during the recent sleep study showed an AHI of 5. Roughly the same AHI as the AHI I was getting with my trusty APAP machine. (Interesting, huh?)

The titration study determined that a pressure of 6 knocked out all the apneic events and gave me an AHI of 0.

Because I was having some centrals with APAP, the tech converted my machine to CPAP at a constant pressure of 6.

My AHI is WORSE with the new setting, running between 6 and 7.

I have an appointment in a little over 2 weeks, but I'll be calling the sleep center tomorrow. Seems like my therapy is worse than what my body does naturally, so I need to change it.

I'm trying to figure out how to get a screen shot of Sleepyhead up so I can post it here, but while I'm trying to figure that out, any thoughts on why this is happening? I'm very discouraged at the moment, and wonder if I should even bother with the mask tonight? Last night's AHI was 7.63, with the following other info:

Event Breakdown
AHI IApnea / Hypopnea Index 7.63
HypopneaHypopnea 1.40
ObstructiveObstructive Apnea 3.74
Clear AirwayClear Airway Apnea 2.49
RERAResp. Effort Related Arousal 0.00
VSnore2Vibratory Snore #2 4.05
PB/CSRPeriodic Breathing 0.00%

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Debbie

Julie

Re: AHI worse after APAP changed to CPAP

Post by Julie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Just curious, but do you know how to change your machine back to Apap? Possibly starting at 6, topping at ? 9 or 10 (10 being the avg. pressure of so many of us)? For a 1-2 night trial? It's a very small change, at the low end of things anyhow... it's up to you of course, but we all do it on occasion, especially if we feel the need.

caffeinatedcfo

Post by caffeinatedcfo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:04 pm

You mentioned APAP caused centrals. Were these determined in an official lab setting or just at home with nothing but cpap machine data?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:36 pm

Your Clear Airway (Centrals) were only 2.49...that's not high especially if they ocured at a time when you were falling asleep or getting up.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:45 pm

When your machine was on Auto, what were the settings?
Sadly, some techs have no idea they do not have to be run wide open (4-12).

needzzzzs

Post by needzzzzs » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi Julie,

I've never tried changing my machine, but know where to find the instructions on how to do it. Still waiting to hear from my sleep doc's office...if I don't hear by tomorrow, I'll try changing back to APAP myself, and possible going a bit higher, as you suggest.

Thanks,

Debbie
Julie wrote:Just curious, but do you know how to change your machine back to Apap? Possibly starting at 6, topping at ? 9 or 10 (10 being the avg. pressure of so many of us)? For a 1-2 night trial? It's a very small change, at the low end of things anyhow... it's up to you of course, but we all do it on occasion, especially if we feel the need.

needzzzzs

Post by needzzzzs » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Just at home, with nothing but CPAP machine data.

Debbie
caffeinatedcfo wrote:You mentioned APAP caused centrals. Were these determined in an official lab setting or just at home with nothing but cpap machine data?

needzzzzs

Post by needzzzzs » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:05 pm

Good point about the timing of the centrals. I'll take a look at the data. Thanks for reminding e about this.

Debbie
LSAT wrote:Your Clear Airway (Centrals) were only 2.49...that's not high especially if they ocured at a time when you were falling asleep or getting up.