My Husbands Cpap Adventure

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Stormynights

My Husbands Cpap Adventure

Post by Stormynights » Sun May 05, 2013 10:28 am

I hounded my husband to get a sleep study done and he was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. He got his machine and mask with setting of 6 to 12. He put the mask on and threw it across the room and said I will never put that on again. I kept tweaking his settings and hounding. I finally set his machine on straight cpap at 4. I knew he wasn't getting the therapy he needed but he wouldn't get any therapy at all with his machine in the closet. I kept getting him new masks to try until I found one he would wear. Every night was a battle but I loved him and thought he was worth a fight. I took baby steps and I finally got his pressure to 6 and he said he was starting to like wearing the mask. Yeah finally! Then I broke my leg and had a cast from my crotch to my toes. I had to stay at my daughters because I couldn't get up my steps at home. When I was able to come home my husband said he would commit suicide before wearing his mask again. Now my husband is in the dog house and I got him to try using his machine again. He wants me to lower his pressure again but I refused. Now he is masking up every night but pulls it off during the night after about 4 hours. I think we are making progress. It may take months to get him the real therapy he needs but progress is progress. I never checked his data before because I didn't see any use at such low numbers I knew it wasn't close to what he needed. I hope I will be needing the software for his machine soon.

Sheriff Buford

Re: My Husbands Cpap Adventure

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun May 05, 2013 11:08 am

You may not want to hear this... but I would let him run his pressure back to 4. It looks as though he almost had this sucker whipped when you went to your daughter's house. Start over at the lower pressure. Then ease it back up once he gets used to it. It may not immediately help him, but in the long run, it may turn into life long treatment. That's what the goal is.... isn't it?

Sheriff

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun May 05, 2013 11:12 am

Is it the mask he is uncomfortable with? Is that why he rips it off?...OR...is it the pressure? I can't believe he is comfortable at a setting of 4. I feel like I'm suffocating at 6.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun May 05, 2013 11:19 am

Go ahead and pull some data from the machine now.
Let's see just exactly what is going on.
Did you leave the machine in APAP mode or change to cpap mode?
Maybe there's a way to give him the lower pressure he wants and it not be the end of the world in regards to therapy effectiveness.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sun May 05, 2013 11:26 am

I don't have anything to offer - as I just don't know enough and though I would LOVE to see my husband in a sleep study - he's not there, yet. But Kudos to you for the effort and fight you are doing on your husband's behalf.

Do you have any previous posts on how you convinced your husband to get a sleep study? I'd like to read them.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun May 05, 2013 11:30 am

Pugsy wrote:Go ahead and pull some data from the machine now.
Maybe there's a way to give him the lower pressure he wants and it not be the end of the world in regards to therapy effectiveness.
He is still in cpap mode. I need the encore software for his machine. I hate to change him back to 4. Actually I forgot how to change the pressure on his machine.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sun May 05, 2013 11:43 am

Stormy
Don't despair... I went thru the same battle with my son and now after 6 months he finally admits he wears the mask every night and is seeing some relief. His pressure was 17 and he could not tolerate that for the longest time, so I told him to try it at 14, but once he was used to that he had to slowly creep back up to his pressure of 17. He is still at 14, but his ahi is under 3, so I am not overly worried. For the first 3 months he told me he would take the mask off in the night and toss it against the wall and he "hated that mask" . I had him go back to his dme and change out to different masks about 4 times..... guess what, he is back to his original mask and is okay with it . Some of these guys (not all of you boys) are babies when it comes to this kind of stuff...." your too macho to wear a mask and be hooked up to a machine" BLAH!.... you will get used to it and it WILL help. Keep working on him Stormy, he will get the hint one of these days and will surprise the heck out of you and admit "this stupid machine really does make me feel better"
Remember your journey... patience and perseverance and you will succeed.
Cheers and good luck
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun May 05, 2013 11:55 am

quietmorning wrote:I don't have anything to offer - as I just don't know enough and though I would LOVE to see my husband in a sleep study - he's not there, yet. But Kudos to you for the effort and fight you are doing on your husband's behalf.

Do you have any previous posts on how you convinced your husband to get a sleep study? I'd like to read them.
Sleeping with him was like sleeping with a wild animal. He snored kicked talked in his sleep and stopped breathing. I told him I couldn't sleep with him and I was worried about him. He said he didn't stop breathing but I did. I had a sleep study and sure enough I did. I told him I was moving into another bedroom. He didn't want that and I really wouldn't have because I was too worried about him. Í just hounded him constantly till he gave in.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sun May 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Stormynights wrote:
quietmorning wrote:I don't have anything to offer - as I just don't know enough and though I would LOVE to see my husband in a sleep study - he's not there, yet. But Kudos to you for the effort and fight you are doing on your husband's behalf.

Sleeping with him was like sleeping with a wild animal. He snored kicked talked in his sleep and stopped breathing. I told him I couldn't sleep with him and I was worried about him. He said he didn't stop breathing but I did. I had a sleep study and sure enough I did. I told him I was moving into another bedroom. He didn't want that and I really wouldn't have because I was too worried about him. Í just hounded him constantly till he gave in.
I think I may officially become a nag. Yep. (Inside joke between me and my hubby)

Thanks, Stormy!

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun May 05, 2013 12:24 pm

quietmorning wrote:
Stormynights wrote:

I think I may officially become a nag. Yep. (Inside joke between me and my hubby)

Thanks, Stormy!
Constant nagging is a hard job. It was going well until I broke my leg. If these stubborn old farts would just realize how much we really care maybe they would make our life and theirs easier.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun May 05, 2013 1:06 pm

Pugsy wrote:Go ahead and pull some data from the machine now.
There wasn't any data on his card except complience. We will have to start over tonight.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun May 05, 2013 1:11 pm

Stormynights wrote: There wasn't any data on his card except complience. We will have to start over tonight.
Shouldn't have been that way.
The 550 machine stores about a months worth of data internally and will write it to the SD card even if the SD card was left out.

Who told you no data except compliance?
If you have a 550...it has everything stored for almost a month except for waveform and that isn't a big deal right now.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun May 05, 2013 1:27 pm

It says the media does not contain any data. I changed his pressure to 5.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun May 05, 2013 3:51 pm

Stormynights wrote:It says the media does not contain any data. I changed his pressure to 5.
Hmmm...put the SD card back in the machine and watch to make sure the machine recognizes it and does its little thing.
Then try another download. It should write whatever data that is stored on the 550 (which is substantial) to the SD card even if it was a brand new SD card.

It should have data.

Do you happen to have SleepyHead or are you just using ResScan? You can use SH too.

Can you open the SD card and go into the P series folder and then into the P0 folder and look for 3 file types?
Should be files with xxx.001 xxx.002 and xxx.005 extension. Look to see the newest date they were modified...higher numbers are newer...lower are oldest.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun May 05, 2013 4:34 pm

I got it to open in sleepy head and it shows his AHI 14.8. I know that isn't good but it is better than I expected it to be.