Overdoing waking CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
archangle

Overdoing waking CPAP

Post by archangle » Sun May 26, 2013 8:40 am

I will often put on my CPAP when I'm sitting in the recliner watching TV and working on the computer, in case I drift off to sleep. I've found I end up continuing to use the CPAP for hours and hours while I'm still awake.

Can anyone think of any disadvantages to doing this?

I can think of more hours/wear and tear on the machine. It also makes it a little harder to analyze my data, but my AHI is good, even when awake.

What other disadvantages might there be to this.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Overdoing waking CPAP

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun May 26, 2013 10:11 am

--making it difficult to snack?
(for many of us more of a plus)

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Sun May 26, 2013 10:22 am

archangle wrote:I can think of more hours/wear and tear on the machine. It also makes it a little harder to analyze my data
I think you have already listed the disadvantages yourself.

In my own case, I think that wearing the mask for "hours" in anticipation of falling asleep is in itself a deterrent to falling asleep.

I take everything off just to go to the bathroom.
I can't imagine wearing my mask & chinstrap for that long while awake.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sun May 26, 2013 10:31 am

I vote for Froggie's response.

Arch you probably have the number one disadvantage already identified as putting more mileage on the machine (and the mask). The only other thing I can think of, which is likely not relevant in your case (or you'd already know it), is for those whose skin is sensitive, there could be more irritation from the extra time wearing the mask.

Kate M

Post by Kate M » Sun May 26, 2013 11:15 am

archangle wrote:I will often put on my CPAP when I'm sitting in the recliner watching TV and working on the computer, in case I drift off to sleep. I've found I end up continuing to use the CPAP for hours and hours while I'm still awake.

For me, I think it wold be a sleep hygiene issue. I can't watch tv, read or exercise in the bedroom. Putting the CPAP mask on is, for me, a signal that it is time to go to sleep now. I'm afraid if I wore it while awake, I would lose that connection and find it harder to fall asleep with the mask on. I do not nap much any more and when I do, I do it in bed now, with mask on. I try not to fall asleep in my recliner. Also, my pressure is too low to wear comfortably while awake!

On Waking by John O'Donohue
I give thanks for arriving/ Safely in a new dawn/ for the gift of eyes/ To see the world/ The gift of mind/ To feel at home/ In my life...

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun May 26, 2013 11:56 am

After waking up from my real sleep of the night, I sometime doze or sleep lightly for an hour with my machine running. It raises my overall AHI a little bit but I'm willing to live with it.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun May 26, 2013 2:56 pm

Yes, my sleep hygiene is bad. I'll have to think about whether it's really going to be worse with mask on than with mask off. Sleeping in the recliner where the TV and computer are is also bad hygiene, but I sleep so much better there than in the bed that I'm probably better off.

I guess if I really wanted to go for good sleep hygiene, I should turn off the computer and TV before I mask up and not do computer or TV if I'm too sleepy to stay awake.

Since I switched to the Swift FX, I'm so much more comfortable that I don't feel as much urge to take it off. I can take my glasses off, clean them, sip water, etc. I will sometimes just disconnect the hose from the mask instead of unmasking when I need to get up and do something.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sun May 26, 2013 5:45 pm

Arch et al., do you know about F.lux for those of us that use our computers, iPads, etc. in the evening?

MagsterMile

Post by MagsterMile » Mon May 27, 2013 8:36 am

Is there any other reason why you have the mask on in addition to it helping you with naps? The reason I ask is perhaps that you feel you stop breathing normally during the day sometimes and the mask will remind you to continue breathing.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu May 30, 2013 4:43 pm

MagsterMile wrote:Is there any other reason why you have the mask on in addition to it helping you with naps? The reason I ask is perhaps that you feel you stop breathing normally during the day sometimes and the mask will remind you to continue breathing.
No, just in case I fall asleep. I usually sleep with the TV on. I'll often decide to sleep, and if I don't fall asleep, I'll decide to check "just one thing" on the computer and not unmask. I have also sort of gotten in the habit of masking up even if I don't plan to go to sleep immediately.

I guess I should only mask up when I plan to sleep or if I'm so sleepy I might fall asleep without knowing it.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu May 30, 2013 4:44 pm

kaiasgram wrote:Arch et al., do you know about F.lux for those of us that use our computers, iPads, etc. in the evening?
I'm not sure what you mean by "F.lux." Are you talking about the effect of light on your sleep?

Useful Links.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Thu May 30, 2013 4:51 pm

archangle wrote:
kaiasgram wrote:Arch et al., do you know about F.lux for those of us that use our computers, iPads, etc. in the evening?
I'm not sure what you mean by "F.lux." Are you talking about the effect of light on your sleep?
f.lux is a little program that filters out blue light from your computer monitor in the evenings. I decided to try it a few months ago and it only took a few days to get used to it. It runs seamlessly on my Mac, and it looks like there's a Windows version as well: http://stereopsis.com/flux/

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu May 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Kate M wrote:
archangle wrote:I will often put on my CPAP when I'm sitting in the recliner watching TV and working on the computer, in case I drift off to sleep. I've found I end up continuing to use the CPAP for hours and hours while I'm still awake.

For me, I think it wold be a sleep hygiene issue. I can't watch tv, read or exercise in the bedroom. Putting the CPAP mask on is, for me, a signal that it is time to go to sleep now. I'm afraid if I wore it while awake, I would lose that connection and find it harder to fall asleep with the mask on. I do not nap much any more and when I do, I do it in bed now, with mask on. I try not to fall asleep in my recliner. Also, my pressure is too low to wear comfortably while awake!

I'm with Kate on this issue. When I put on my mask, it's time for sleep.