Slightly off topic: Mattress Toppers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Janknitz

Slightly off topic: Mattress Toppers

Post by Janknitz » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:27 pm

My husband and I had a little romantic weekend at a Victorian Inn, and there was a feather bed on top of the mattress. We both slept SO well and without the usual aches and pains. So we are now thinking of investing in some sort of mattress topper. He has a herniated disk, and ANYTHING that helps him sleep is a winner. Because he's not sleeping well, his tossing and turning is waking me all night, so I'm miserable, too ( he rips the covers off me, every time!). And I have some hip pain bothering me when I sleep on my sides, but my mask leaks too much on my back.

I'm reluctant to get a feather bed because they seem high maintenance, I don't like the odd feathers poking out here and there, and I worry about allergies. So we are thinking about a foam mattress topper--specifically the Novaform 3" Memoryfoam Topper Costco is selling right now. I'm interested to hear from others who may have this, and I have some questions:

1. Is it really hard to turn over with this topper--some people say it is in their reviews?
2. How HOT is it? I'd especially like to hear from women who have hot flashes at night and who have had this mattress through a hot summer.
3. Does the smell of the foam last a long time and bother you? I have some chemical sensitivities, and I'm not sure if this would set off some asthma problems for me.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

brivers222

Re: Slightly off topic: Mattress Toppers

Post by brivers222 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:36 pm

The problem i have found with memory foam (we even got a thinner version from costco years ago) is that if the temperature is slightly chilly they are a rock at first. People have suggested that you use a heated mattress cover with them and they are much softer. As for the smell, it does disipate, but it takes a few days... we used a lot of febreeze on ours

Ultimately we went with a feather bed (yeah those things poke ya!!) so we put it under our mattress topper... no more poking!
Machine: PR S1 REMStar 60 Series Pro
Humdifier: PR S1 Heated Humidifier
Mask: Simplus FFM , Quattro™ FX FFM
Pressure: 10cmH20
Untreated AHI: 90.4
Treated AHI: 1.4

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:24 pm

to me a topper is the way to renew a mattress

foam will outgas for awhile meybe you can leave it on a porch or garage to outgas

you could try a mattress store to lay on some foam beds to see if the odors will bother you

a topper more than 3 or 4 inches thick may give some troubles trying to get out of it

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:41 pm

There are also wool mattress toppers if you are looking for natural one that doesn't off gas.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

codinqueen

Post by codinqueen » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:03 pm

We had a 10" memory foam topper on our bed for about 2 yrs, because we needed a new mattress and couldn't afford it. We both have bad painful backs, as well as fibromyalgia & myofascial pain disorder. It was hard to turn over, but it could be done with effort, but I think 10" was probably too thick. We had a quilted zipped cover that the foam topper went inside, so we didn't notice any outgassing or hardness from it being cold. We have an elderly indoor cat and the electric blanket is on in the winter & fall, and sometimes into the spring, and the bed never got cold enough to affect the hardness or softness of it- plus- we live in FL. The topper did try to constantly fall off the mattress of the bed- pulled the sheets askew with it- it would slide down from the head of the bed, and usually stuck out a few inches past the foot of the mattress. I had to constantly get hubby to help me yank it back when I changed the sheets because you can't move the foam topper when the mattress has the weight of sheets & blankets on it, and 10" memory foam in California King is really heavy for one person to move. I could not lift the thing by myself at all. We also tried feather bed topper, & they went everywhere and got tracked all through the house even though we had a cover on the feather topper. We finally just bought a new Serta Envelop King mattress set for Valentine's Day for both of us, with an easy-pay plan on QVC.
If you need a new mattress, take a look at QVC and HSN- they might have a mattress on easy-pay that would be so much more comfortable than any toppers. We bought ours on EasyPay and it will be paid for in 4 more monthly payments, with no interest fee-the only way we could buy a new mattresses since they are so expensive. We had what they call White Glove delivery and it was actually free for the shipping and handling. It was the Today's Special Value, and they frequently have specials on mattresses. I love our new bed. We bought a set of 1500 thread count sheets- oh-h-h, so luxurious!!! like sleeping on a cloud!

Pressure 6-10 cm

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:31 pm

http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/S ... earchidx=1

This is the one we purchased several years ago in 3 inch. It's wonderful and Mike has no problem turning over. It's held up very well. He tried a memory foam in a store once and he had trouble turning over. The only problem is I don't see it on Overstock in 3 inch anymore but maybe you can check it out elsewhere.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi there,
We had that one from Costco. That memory foam mattress topper. I too have hip muscle pain and am strictly a side sleeper. We hated it. You have to lift yourself up in the air to turn over. We would wake up to turn our bodies over. Not good. Also it is very HOT! We live in the desert and even with the air on - it is HOT. Don't let any salesman tell you that it is not hot - it is.

So we visited many mattress stores and decided to buy a new mattress. Thing is I like a softer feel and hubs likes firm. We found the perfect mattress! It's called a hybrid. It has a gel padding on the top but still has firm support inside with the inner springs. It's perfect! When you lay on it you feel a softness but firm support underneath due to the springs. We just LOVE it! The best mattress we have ever had. Not any more expensive than any new mattress. We bought a king size and spent about $1,200.00 without box springs since we have a platform bed. They are new and upcoming so ask around and do your research. Go lay on the beds and you will see a big difference. It's made by Sealy but I am sure there are all kinds of brand names that make a HYBRID mattress.

Do not waste your money on the Costco Topper!
Hope this helps.

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

RobertS975

Post by RobertS975 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:56 pm

Mattress pads made a huge difference to my wife and I. They do tend to migrate somewhat but no big deal. Bed and Bath has a huge selection... we have used a mattress quilt rather than a foam pad. Before we bought it, I used to go to bed feeling great and wake up injured!

HerbM

Post by HerbM » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:50 pm

We tried a memory foam topper over our waterbed (been sleeping on a waterbed since 1971 except for in the Army etc.)

It needed a "cover" (sort of like a giant pillow case) to keep the phone from bunching and tearing.

That cover has a very slightly quilted stitching and it was ANNOYING through high quality sheets.

IF you get memory phone then buy a SEEMLESS cover for it. You will enjoy it more.

We took ours off the bed and stopped using it.

A down top sounds a little more like a good idea to me and maybe we'll get one. (It's a water bed with baffles but my arthritic shoulders etc. could use a little more comfort.)

--
Sweet Dreams,
HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-14 w/AHI: 0.2 avg for 7-days

"We can all breath together or we will all suffocate alone."

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:56 am

I bought the new novafoam 3 inch one from Costco this past summer and it is great... better than the 2 inch one I had for about 8 years. It is the one with the blue gel beads in it to keep you cool when its hot out. Its easy to turn, I just flip it and then pull the foot end up to the head end every so often to keep it fresh. I have had no problem rolling over at all from one side to the other..... did I say "it's great" . Buy it Jan you won't regret it.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

gsbuck

Post by gsbuck » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:29 am

I love memory foam, but even better is a memory foam mattress that has approx 2" of latex foam on top of it. That is what we have. The memory foam keeps it stable (my hubby is really big, and when he turned over in a "regular" bed it would wake me up), but the latex makes it more comfy, soft of like what I imagine the feathers do for you.

I think topper just cover the mattress that you already have, and if that mattress has a dip in it, so will the topper eventually.

I did by a 4" memory foam topper to use as a pallet on the floor for grandkids, and it is very comfortable!

Ladyflower

Post by Ladyflower » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:58 am

I wish we would have just bought a memory foam topper for our old mattress that needed replacing so I could have tossed it in the trash without feeling guilty about wasting a lot of money. Instead I went and purchased an entire memory foam mattress. We both absolutely HATE this bed. I sprung for the more expensive gel memory foam because it is supposed to sleep cooler. Seems to work because I am rarely hot when I sleep. But, it is very hard to roll/move on the memory foam because it "envelopes" you...I have to kind of hop when I roll over. Though, like the pp said, there is less movement than a traditional spring mattress so my hubby generally doesn't feel me "hopping." I feel like there is no support with this bed, despite the fact that our mattress is 13" deep with an 8" base layer. We both agree that we will never get another memory foam mattress. I would love to go back to the feather pillow top mattress we used to have.
Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt ASV
Mask: AirFit p10 Nasal pillow mask, DreamWear Nasal Mask

gsbuck

Post by gsbuck » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:11 am

That is why I like the latex foam at least 2" of it on made on top of the memory foam. But we have been eyeing the sleep number type bed. I do not know much about it though.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:03 pm

Wow,that's a range of opinions!

A new mattress is not in the budget right now. We have a sleep number bed. My husband likes it very soft, and right now I have it very firm because my back has been acting up, but I loved waking painfree after a solid sleep at that inn.

I've been hesitating to get the topper because my asthma is bad right now. We'd put it out on our hideabed for a week or so to "gas off", but since that's in the room off the kitchen I've been waiting still until the asthma calms down.

At least if we buy from Costco we can return it so we may give it a try.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Islandwoman

Post by Islandwoman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:30 pm

With asthma I would definitely go with Latex pin core not memory foam. The fabric covers on the memory also off gas plus the Memory foam itself. Google for toxicity probably fire resistant chemicals also. We have a pin core foam mattress with cotton cover no issues.