Getting humidity right

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Clizby

Getting humidity right

Post by Clizby » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:09 pm

I have a resmed airsense 10 that is pretty new to me. I like it a lot but I seem to have more issues with my mouth feeling dry from it than my last machine.

The problem is, if I turn up the humidity from 4 to 5, the dang thing starts to drip on my out the hose, which doesn't do much letting me sleep. It also has a heated hose, which is new to me - I wasn't sure if adjusting the hose heat could help with the dripping or not. Any thoughts?

Mark55

Re: Getting humidity right

Post by Mark55 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Clizby

Post by Clizby » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:43 pm

Oh yeah I didn't mention my tube is also wrapped. I guess I could try to turn up the temp? I think it was 81 before but I saw somewhere it is recommended to be between 78-82, so I don't have much wiggle room.

hpm08161947

Post by hpm08161947 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:48 pm

I have had that problem a lot lately. I believe I have finally solved it by turned the heat up in the room I sleep.

jamesbond007

Post by jamesbond007 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:56 pm

Clizby wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:43 pm

Oh yeah I didn't mention my tube is also wrapped. I guess I could try to turn up the temp? I think it was 81 before but I saw somewhere it is recommended to be between 78-82, so I don't have much wiggle room.
82? Holy cow. I tried 74 once and my nostrils burned once. Not literally. I am set at 72 and humidity level 1 or 2. 2 for the most part.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:03 pm

What is the temperature of your bedroom?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Clizby

Post by Clizby » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:34 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:03 pm
What is the temperature of your bedroom?
Well I think overnight our thermostat is set to 69, but our room is the least affected by the heater in the house and its winter here so it may be cooler than that.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:55 pm

I wear the dreamware mask and even in Arizona where my bedroom temp rarely gets below 72 I was having rainout. I turned the humidity down to 2 but it didn't really go away until I got the little fleace wraps for the frame sides that pugsy recommended.

djams

Post by djams » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:40 pm

Looks like all posters so far have Resmed machines. Me too, and I've had my climate control set to Auto since day one, and no problems so far. I can still adjust the temperature. Good thing, because the 66 degrees that I like in the summertime makes the tip of my nose freeze now that it's cooling off a bit around here.

Off the wall question - does anyone have an example of flow rate breath shapes when the hose contains condensation? Asking for a friend... :lol: Really, I've been getting unusual shapes myself, and want to rule this out as a possibility. I've never had any condensation in my mask.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:50 pm

I don't know about different flow rate breath shapes, but when you have condensation in the tube, you get a lot of loud popping, bubbling and gurgling sounds. The few times I have had it, I could not sleep through it. It woke up me and my wife.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Mark55

Post by Mark55 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:16 pm

I guess in Florida we don't have these issues. :lol:
I leave my humidifier generally set on 4, and that's with a non-heated slimline hose. I have never seen the first bead of moisture inside my hose, much less having been sprayed with water! I know it's working because my water level goes down, I guess it's just that my bedroom never gets below 68 degrees, and it's usually 74 most of the year.

I tried the blank-off plate last night since I had just cleaned my humidifier tank, and went with it off. My nose didn't seem to like that too much. I have been stopped up all day.

djams

Post by djams » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:02 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:50 pm
I don't know about different flow rate breath shapes, but when you have condensation in the tube, you get a lot of loud popping, bubbling and gurgling sounds. The few times I have had it, I could not sleep through it. It woke up me and my wife.
Thanks for the response, makes sense.

BTW - I found an example on-line. The flow rate chart is an absolute mess. That makes sense too.

Also have gotten an answer on my unusual flow rate shapes. All is right with the world again. :)

Attachments
Flow_rate_condensation_in_tube.PNG
Flow_rate_condensation_in_tube.PNG (339.51 KiB) Viewed 1924 times

Clizby

Post by Clizby » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:44 pm

I know this post is old, but I kind of have a followup to it. Originally, I had issues because i couldn't get the humidity just right, but now the issue has gotten worse. I wake up in the middle of the night with my mouth bone dry. I know it's using the water because I fill it up most days, but I'm not sure what is going on. Suggestions would be appreciated. What temperature should I set my hose to? Again, in my house, I think the temp is usually about 69 overnight.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:49 pm

Which mask are you using and what is the humidity setting?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:53 pm

Are you using a FF Mask that seals well? Because if whatever mask you use allows you to lose Cpap therapy air out of your mouth then you will dry out that way. Full face masks allow you to mouth breathe without losing the air, but can still cause dryness, so people use different types of e.g. gels from the pharmacy before bed... but consider using a FFM if you're not doing it now.