SleepyHead Project Takeover Attempt by AB

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: SleepyHead Project Takeover Attempt by AB

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:35 pm

sleepy-programmer wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Sooooooo … … what's in the future for SleepyHead for people like me who want to help contribute code? Anyone know yet? This software is incredible and I'm grateful for it.
Pop over to apneaboard, in the software forum, there's a link to get an invite into the working group for what's tentatively called "OSCR, the Open Source CPAP Reviewer", pronounced 'oscar', I'm sure the'd love to have any help you want to give.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:36 pm

sleepy-programmer wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:14 pm
prodigyplace wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:57 pm
sleepy-programmer wrote:
Sooooooo … … what's in the future for SleepyHead for people like me who want to help contribute code? Anyone know yet? This software is incredible and I'm grateful for it.
Some people are gathering secretly on the other forum but not with the blessing of JediMark. I hope to be able to release some of Mark's last SleepyHead 1.1 here.

Those on the other forum claim they have nothing to hide but they quickly hid their publicly visible code repository. For some unexplained reason, they are looking for people to reverse engineer some code. This does not sound like GPL software development. Why hide is there is nothing to hide? Why reverse engineer if you have the source code?

Too many things happening there do not make sense if you assume good intent.
If what you say is true, wow. Hiding originally open source code is not okay. 8 years of open source development, part time or not, huge lapses in dev time or not, does not deserve that kind of treatment. The only usual reason to hide source code is to profit off of it. Not saying that's what will happen here but this is highly illogical to me. Software's much harder to debug without the source code, it's to everyone's benefit to keep it open source. It lets someone from the outside like me easily find their repo and create a pull request to contribute. If there are AB folks here that are part of this I hope they read this and reconsider.
Nah, it's all wrong. Not a lick of truth in it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:11 pm

Folks... think about this.

I've not been a big fan of Apneaboard, ever since I got banned for making a joke about how strict their moderation is, even though I've continued sending people over there, because of two things...

1) the manual service they provide is invaluable.
2) it's great to have choices for where to get help for making cpap work. Some people prefer it here, some people prefer it there... I tell them to pick the board that suits their personality. (and some people prefer Jason's, a sort of 'in betweener' place).

I may not really *like* Apneaboard. but I *respect* apneaboard for what it does for the people that need help.

That said... If I'm *DEFENDING* "apneaboard" in this... it oughta make you think.

There IS a lot of lies and bullcrap being spread around, but it's not coming from "apneaboard" (the owner or members), or the people that were *invited* developers and testers.

It's coming from Mark, and prodigyplace.

sleepy-programmer

Post by sleepy-programmer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:51 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:35 pm
sleepy-programmer wrote:
Pop over to apneaboard, in the software forum, there's a link to get an invite into the working group for what's tentatively called "OSCR, the Open Source CPAP Reviewer", pronounced 'oscar', I'm sure the'd love to have any help you want to give.
Thanks. Someone messaged me and is helping me get setup to help.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:06 pm

sleepy-programmer wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:51 pm
palerider wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:35 pm
sleepy-programmer wrote:
Thanks. Someone messaged me and is helping me get setup to help.
Sweet!

A KLERK

Post by A KLERK » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:35 am

prodigyplace wrote: .....
Too many things happening there do not make sense if you assume good intent.
In the first hours of the blast, on SleepyHead's Facebook group a guy named Fritz made a very good analysis of the cause: (for short) Mark was defending his property and I was defending the users. He also had some nice discussions with Mark. In direct contact thereafter this Swiss offered me to mediate.

When I proposed that to the two others who were busy on (illegal?) version 1.1.1 (Phil had more less retired), I first was neglected during several attempts. Bruce was directly communicating with Mark by email. Several times I warned them to stop that as it obviously only would split the group. Bruce (prodigy place) is very dangerous in his childish thinking. As Mark's 2IC I had to convince Mark often in long private discussions to not ban Bruce after he did another stupidity. The last one was when Bruce posted the new version 1.1.0 on the CPAP talk forum, while it was not yet given free by Mark. He was completely banned... THAT was the real start of the trouble around this good version with a quite different database. That same Bruce is now trying to gain 2IC and telling us we stole Mark's child...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Looking for MORE translators!

A KLERK

Post by A KLERK » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:38 am

Having said that, I have to emphasize that versions 1.0 and 1.1 can be used on the same data in your Folder SleepyHeadData without any problem. You may just neglect the warnings going back and forth. Try it for yourself!!!

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:34 am

A KLERK wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:35 am
The last one was when Bruce posted the new version 1.1.0 on the CPAP talk forum, while it was not yet given free by Mark.
Actually Mark thanked me for doing that. GPL makes it free to redistribute.

As far as I know I have not been banned from AB but messed up my credentials a while ago due to their lax security practices.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:37 am

prodigyplace wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:34 am
A KLERK wrote:
The last one was when Bruce posted the new version 1.1.0 on the CPAP talk forum, while it was not yet given free by Mark.
Actually Mark thanked me for doing that.
I *HIGHLY* doubt that.

That would be completely out of character for Mark to let someone else post notice of a testing version.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:40 am

palerider wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:37 am
prodigyplace wrote:
A KLERK wrote:
I *HIGHLY* doubt that.

That would be completely out of character for Mark to let someone else post notice of a testing version.

Story, I misread that. I posted 1.0 and, for a while Mark's 1.1 builds. I never posted later ones I had and Mark never gave those out for free. Mark actually thanked me for posting 1.0 separate from his servers to be sure we had it here.

Mark seems to be in a good place right now but is looking for a project maintainer to look after SleepyHead. He still posts occasionally on his SleepyHead Facebook group.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

A KLERK

Post by A KLERK » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:41 am

palerider wrote:
prodigyplace wrote:
A KLERK wrote:
I *HIGHLY* doubt that.

I think it can be true: Mark plays with people like ignorant Bruce Image

JayDee

Post by JayDee » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:53 am

palerider wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:20 pm

"...Well, I'll be hugely surprised if there ISN'T a fork..."
I've worked with devs who have some quirks and it's rarely a productive environment when the coder has more bugs than the code. Given this soap-opera, it's pretty clear there *DESERVES* to be a fork. If "OSCR" is a proper, above-board fork, hopefully, the drama can minimize. I try to be an optimist.

-JD
If you're not having a good time, *DO* something about it.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:01 am

A KLERK wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:41 am
palerider wrote:
prodigyplace wrote:
A KLERK wrote:
I *HIGHLY* doubt that.

I think it can be true: Mark plays with people like ignorant Bruce Image

Comments like that get threads locked.

Some of us are more compassionate about the individual people involved than than how best to profit from their work.

bonjour

Post by bonjour » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:59 am

JD
This will be a full and Above Board fork. We are working hard on that now. And we are looking for others in th. apnea community that want to help.

springman946

Post by springman946 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:38 am

hello I'm glad that I got the new version of sleepyhead software when i saw that you were stopping the project i was like OMG if something happens to my sleepyhead program where else am I going to get the newest version of the software but anyway keep doing what your doing because your doing a wonderful job. best of luck to you