new machine coming sleep lab said only they make adjustments

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Krelvin

Re: new machine coming sleep lab said only they make adjustments

Post by Krelvin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:32 pm

user232 wrote:Also,
since I am staring out on a monthly rental. A few questions I have regarding procuring the rental mask
1) Are they going to give me someone's used one?
2) If I can ask for a new one. How do I verify it's new. I would think it's in a sealed bag, but the lab says 'they' have to adjust any settings for me.
1) Not knowing where you are located, a rental most likely will be a used machine. There is really not much to cleaning them since you don't actually breath in them, you are breathing against positive air pressure. The failure rate unfortunately for new patients pretty high.. Many people with try it, have a problem and not use it again.

2)You can ask but if it is a rental most likely they won't give you a new one. You can see how used it is by looking at the Run time hours.

Masks, hoses and other expendables and even some times the humidifier if it is a separate unit, should be new as you are most likely paying in full for those (minus what your insurance covers) even if you are getting a rental machine.

If you are buying, it should all be new unless you are accepting a used device which you would have to approved before the sale. Sometimes they can offer a low use machine for a good discount. Again, whatever you get, you can check the Runtime hours on it.

There should not be strong smells, cigarette smoke etc.. I would reject that right away.

Note that a new machine, hose, mast etc will have a plastic smell that might take a few days to get rid of.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

A MESS

Re: new machine coming sleep lab said only they make adjustments

Post by A MESS » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:21 pm

My Doctor made the setting--the pulmonary therapist at the medical store followed his script when setting up the machine. . Mine starts at 5-goes to 20. I am at 14 consistently so dont want or need change.