Europe travel plug adapter

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lancaster

Europe travel plug adapter

Post by Lancaster » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi,
I have a Phillips Respironic System One Bi pap machine and will take it with me on my first ever trip to Europe next month.

I need to get an electric plug adapter for the UK and Switzerland.

I have read about many products on amazon etc and there are always a few reviewers who say the adapter sparked and caught on fire.

The same thing happened to my son while in London this year with a plug adapter he bought at Target when he plugged in his I phone.

My machine has a converter so that is ok.

I am worried re electrical damage to my machine. It is an ASV machine and expensive.

palerider

Re: Europe travel plug adapter

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Lancaster wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:59 pm
Hi,
I have a Phillips Respironic System One Bi pap machine and will take it with me on my first ever trip to Europe next month.

I need to get an electric plug adapter for the UK and Switzerland.

I have read about many products on amazon etc and there are always a few reviewers who say the adapter sparked and caught on fire.

The same thing happened to my son while in London this year with a plug adapter he bought at Target when he plugged in his I phone.

My machine has a converter so that is ok.

I am worried re electrical damage to my machine. It is an ASV machine and expensive.
The *RIGHT* way to do it is to buy a short cord to plug into the appropriate wall socket and go to your power brick.

Those cords are just what is used in the other countries... Unfortunately, you need a different short cord for the UK and Switzerland.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Stom

Post by Stom » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:15 pm

I believe Palerider has the right of it. If you have a multi-voltage power brick with a removable AC cord, then the "right" way to adapt it to foreign sockets is to buy the correct cable. While the brick may be rated for 240, it's not uncommon for the US AC supply cord to only be rated for 120. And plug adapters can be a bit dodgy, especially with higher current draw appliances.

Unfortunately, they are a bit hard to find in the US. And the ones you can find are generally from china with an unknown provenance, so who knows if they are actually better than an adaptor. The trick to finding the replacement cable is knowing the names of the connectors and the amperage rating. For ResMed devices the brick side connector is a C7 connector. I don't know what the Phillips bricks use.

It may be easier to find a cord in country if that is the sort of thing you enjoy doing while traveling. For me, finding the local hardware store or elctronics retailer where I'm visiting is fun. But replacement cords may not be a simple thing to find. So, dunno.
Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:26 pm

Here's the british cords you need:
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... tish&ajr=2

And here's what you need for most of the rest of europe:

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... 7+european

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:38 pm

I've traveled extensively and never had a problem. Your machine is compatible with the voltage in Europe. The issue that you'll need to deal with is the shape of the wall sockets. American (or Canadian) plugs will not fit into the wall. You need an adapter for the UK and a different one for Switzerland. Also, the socket might not be near the bed, so pack an extension cord.

The UK adapter is on topand the Swiss one is below.

Image Image

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:17 pm

noise wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:38 pm
Image Image
Also known as a "deathdapter", because it makes it easy to get 250 volts where you don't want it.

Stom

Post by Stom » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:26 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:17 pm
Also known as a "deathdapter", because it makes it easy to get 250 volts where you don't want it.
Merits some Big Clive video explainers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESIzuV6kdWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvOTiQKkQMo

Although, to be fair, many US 120V extension cords, cube taps and other adapters have the same flaw that allows one blade of an electric plug to go into the socket and for one to hang out, potentially exposing people to live current from the exposed blade - which is ironic since many of the exact same sockets have a tab to prevent you from plugging in the ground upside down, sticking out. Even so, the danger from an exposed conductor is significantly higher with European 240 volt power than a US 120 volt supply.
Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:57 am

Hi Lancaster,

Palerider is correct. The simplest and safest way to power up your machine in the UK is to buy the 'direct' cord with the British plug at the wall-socket end.

You might care to note that UK plugs have a fuse in them for extra protection. If there's a surge, the fuse will blow at the same time as the micro-circuit breaker will trip. The fuse looks like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulk-Hardware- ... B00O7P1FN0

Most of the time, the plug is sold with a 13-amp fuse already in it. But if you're really concerned about safety, you can switch that for a 5-amp fuse, thus:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulk-Hardware- ... HBGR4N47FB

That rectangular bit you see on the plug – sometimes of a different color – is the fuse carrier. You flip it out with a penknife or small screwdriver.

Obviously, you can buy a dozen spare fuses from Amazon, and bring a couple with you. They don't take up much space. Or you can buy a packet of four fuses from any hardware store.

Lancaster

Post by Lancaster » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:20 am

Thanks to all of you for the excellent information.

I had not thought of the cord idea. Great to see the px of the exact shape of the adapters required.

Those videos were incredible. I would never have realized that those multi adapters were death devices.

Lancaster

Post by Lancaster » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:11 pm

I am reading a lot about this topic and most people advise taking an extension cord because
hotels in Europe have very few electrical outlets and they are potentially not near the beds.

So now I am researching how to use an extension cord rated for US 120 v in the UK 220 v
outlet. It does not look possible to buy a UK extension cord in the US.

Many people say it is possible to use the US 120 v one .

I would not be so concerned except the asv machines are really expensive and essential.

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi Lancaster,

Newer UK hotels have caught up with the modern world, and have more outlets per room – I know this from personal experience – but it's good to be to be prepared for every eventuality.

If you want an extension power cord for use in the UK that is rated for 240 volts, try here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/pro-elec-Mains ... on+cord+3m

You could also wait till you get here, and then take a cab to "the nearest Tesco's, please." Tesco's is one of three national supermarket chains. It has 3,700 stores across the country, so you're never far from one.

You will find a 3 metre extension cord rated for 240V – like the one in the link – in the household section.

grapeshly

Post by grapeshly » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:44 pm

I traveled in Sweden with a Respironic for a week last year, and used an adaptor like what Palerider showed in his (her??) bottom picture. I did not need a converter. The Respironics runs on either 120V or 240V, and I had no problems. Just make sure all the prong connections are snug and tight. (Loose connections overheat and cause meltdowns of plastic housings and lead to even worse problems.) I had several adaptors, and was glad I had them for charging my laptop, my cellphones, and tablet. (Yeah, I am totally a gadget girl.) I had also brought along a convertor, just in case, but did not need it. Even my travel blow dryer had a little switch I could use to select 120V or 240V.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:08 pm

grapeshly wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:44 pm
Palerider showed in his (her??) bottom picture.
He's a his, not that it matters much here :lol:

Reddwarf

Post by Reddwarf » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:14 pm

A very good thread, but I still needs some clarification. I have a Resmed Compact S8. I'm going to Sweden from USA for business. Not sure if I need a cord like posted earlier or a converter./ adapter. When traveling in the US I carry a small power strip just to make it easy to plug in my CPAP, my Laptop and phone/tablet changer.

I saw a couple of adapters on Amazon I thought might work:
Foval Power Step Down: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074QLCKW6/re ... B01E140XWA

and the BESTEK Universal Travel Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Universal ... op?ie=UTF8

The Foval seems to be more quiet. I also need something to use at the Client's office with my Laptop so maybe the same devise or just a power adapter such as this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DB ... M2VSRFG6P6

Biggest concern is my CPAP, I think the laptop is easy to accommodate.

Any suggestions on the CPAP usage? Also, anyone use the CPAP on the airplane? It's a rather long flight from Dallas, TX and there is no way I can sleep on a plane without CPAP. So far all my domestic travel I just don't sleep, even napping is out. I assume I plug into the seat power and set the CPAP, sans water tank, on the floor at my feet. Doesn't seem very easy with the lack of room and of course sitting on the plane with my mask - not pretty!
"First things first, but necessarily in that order" - Dr. Who

msla

Post by msla » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:52 am

I went here and ordered the male plug. https://www.110220volts.com/cee-7-5-plu ... kuEALw_wcB I can buy a 14/3 extension cord, thinking 25' with 3 plug ins https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... ds/3383783 , and then clip the US male end and wire in the continental European male plug. Note, you will not want any cords that have surge protection or "glow" lights that are 120 volt. How to video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHo68GZ83hY Getting ready for March trip to Tahiti 8)
This should work for GB. You could get a short France extension cord and add the British Male end and use it to connect the longer continental extension cord.

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.