Total Newby But worried about machine making noise while inhaling

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
AHI88

Total Newby But worried about machine making noise while inhaling

Post by AHI88 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:13 am

Hi All, completely new to this. And my very first post.

I have the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset machine now only for 4 days. The first 2 days I could not even hear it. In the last 2 days, it makes a wheezing sound everytime I inhale.
Even when I hold my breath I can hear the slight wheeze/fan sound following my heartbeat.

I've asked my wife on the opposite side of the bed and she can also confirm she can hear the breathing wheezy sound following my every inhalation?

Tried removing the humidifier and connected my Full face mask, but that has not made any difference to this new breathing noise.

Is this normal, I spent tonnes on the machine as my medical aid did not cover this. Of what I read ResMed prides themselves on quiet machines?

I've taken a video, but not so sure if you can hear what I mean?

https://youtu.be/3g-qj3bLTdc

Your opinions are most welcome.

Pugsy

Re: Total Newby But worried about machine making noise while inhaling

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:12 am

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, I couldn't hear anything on the video but that might be on my end because the volume on my laptop leaves something to be desired even at max.

The only time my AirSense will wheeze is when I don't have the water chamber snugly inserted. It's silent otherwise.
If you are for sure that the water chamber is snugly inserted and nothing will reduce the unwanted noise and the noise is loud enough for a spouse to hear it....defective machine IMHO.
Especially when it was fine for a few nights and then the noise level changes and becomes annoying. Can you take it back to where you got it and get a different machine?
These machines come with a 2 year warranty and what you are complaining of I have seen a few people on this forum complain about it and it was a defective machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

AHI88

Post by AHI88 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks Pugsy, I've removed the Humidifier, but this made no difference?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:33 am

You do pull it out and push it back in but make sure it goes in completely. Push firmly on it...if it won't move then it is in snugly and if the machine still makes unwanted noise then there is something wrong with the blower motor most likely or fan motor. I don't do insides of machines kind of stuff.

If a machine was silent and then all the sudden it isn't silent and you know everything is snug and other people can hear the noise then there is something wrong with the insides of the blower unit.

It needs to be returned to where it was purchased from and swapped out for a new not noisy machine.
This complaint...the wheezing...is uncommon and rare but I have seen it before on this forum a handful of times. Normally ResMed isn't known for failures but with any electronics...you can get a lemon.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:35 am

Most CPAPs have EPR (expiratory relief pressure). That means that the pressure is slightly higher when you inhale than when you exhale. Usually, this will be called "C-Flex" or "A-Flex." The two names are minor variations on the same theme. They can ussually be set as high as three points or turned off/set to zero. Three point means that of your pressure is 11cmH2O it will lower to 8cmH2O when you ae exhaling (or it "thinks" that you are).

I found this very annoying and tuned it off.

AHI88

Post by AHI88 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:45 am

Thx is that the Pressure Relief on/off setting on airsense 10 you talking about?

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:48 am

AHI88 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:45 am
Thx is that the Pressure Relief on/off setting on airsense 10 you talking about?

I think so (I have a different machine).

BTW, I didn't hear anything on the video either.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:52 am

D.H. wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:35 am
Usually, this will be called "C-Flex" or "A-Flex." The two names are minor variations on the same theme.
Flex exhale relief is a Respironics marketing term.

EPR is ResMed's marketing term for their exhale relief. They don't function the same despite both being exhale relief.

I own an AirSense 10 machine and a Respironics machine.... EPR exhale relief won't/shouldn't cause a wheeze even at max of 3.
Remember OP said things were silent for 2 nights and then the wheeze happened. I am going to assume that nothing was changed after 2 nights.

EPR could be turned off just to make sure though just in case....assuming it was ever turned on.

AHI88

Post by AHI88 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:00 am

Thx all, turned off no and no diff, I'll get a better sound recording.
Are you supposed to hear your inhale and exhale from the matchine with every breath.

I'm 100% this humming noise was not there before but now I'm starting to doubt myself?

I can definitely hear the the machine making a different pitch/hum with every inhale and exhale.

Just not sure if normal or not

Here is maybe a better recording

https://youtu.be/_PqZE23sTqo

Last edited by AHI88 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:10 am

The breathing noises...I call it the Darth Vadar noise and some people do hear it more than others. It seems to be related to the kind of mask that is used and a function of the noise being conducted through the hose to the person's head.
Most of the time the spouse won't hear the Darth Vadar noise. It is NOT the same thing as a machine motor noise.
See what Robysue says at the bottom of this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96295&p=892182&hili ... se#p892182
and here
http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blog ... rough.html

The thing that makes me wonder about your machine being defective is the fact the wife hears the noise. There's no way she can hear conducted noise.

AHI88

Post by AHI88 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:20 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:10 am
The breathing noises...I call it the Darth Vadar noise and some people do hear it more than others. It seems to be related to the kind of mask that is used and a function of the noise being conducted through the hose to the person's head.
Most of the time the spouse won't hear the Darth Vadar noise. It is NOT the same thing as a machine motor noise.
See what Robysue says at the bottom of this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96295&p=892182&hili ... se#p892182
and here
http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blog ... rough.html

The thing that makes me wonder about your machine being defective is the fact the wife hears the noise. There's no way she can hear conducted noise.
Thx Pugsy, Ive read your links, it's Def not conductive noise I'm experiencing or worried about. I can confirm it's coming from machine as it's louder when I put my ear closer to machine 😭

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:21 am

If it's annoying...and your wife can hear it...take the machine back.

AHI88

Post by AHI88 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:24 am

Pugsy wrote:If it's annoying...and your wife can hear it...take the machine back.
Image I'm going to contact them tomorrow

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

hpm08161947

Post by hpm08161947 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:50 am

I have what sounds like an identical problem, I gave up and plan to take it back to the DME for what that is worth. The machine is about 4 years old and has been used continuously. I am lucky to have two ResMed AirSense 10s, but this inhale - whine noise certainly seems like something for the repair guys.

AHI88

Post by AHI88 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:21 pm

hpm08161947 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:50 am
I have what sounds like an identical problem, I gave up and plan to take it back to the DME for what that is worth. The machine is about 4 years old and has been used continuously. I am lucky to have two ResMed AirSense 10s, but this inhale - whine noise certainly seems like something for the repair guys.
I'm only day 5 😢😢😢