Repeating Sleep studies every 5 years

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hpm08161947

Repeating Sleep studies every 5 years

Post by hpm08161947 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:43 am

My new Doctor feels that in order for her to monitor my CPAP needs she needs a new sleep study done. My Sleep Study was done 5 years ago and I have consistently monitored my data with SleepyHead. My data typically indicates that I have 0-2 apnic events per hour. I see nothing in this data to indicate that anew titration is needed. My Doctor tells me that it is just a "Standard of Care" to repeat sleep studies every 5 years. Do other CPAP users typically repeat their Sleep Studies every 5 yearswithout underlying data or symptoms?

squid13

Re: Repeating Sleep studies every 5 years

Post by squid13 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:46 am

I wouldn't doubt she has an interest in the place where the sleep study is done.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Stephaniedp3

Post by Stephaniedp3 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:47 am

I just started but seems strange to me. If data on your machine is good I don’t see the need. But then again I’m new.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:02 am

More like Standard of Her Profit! Ask for her Credit Card to pay for it, Fat chance that wouldn't change her Standards.

I'd be using software, monitored by someone I could trust, Me! I'd have my GP take care of any needs I couldn't get on my own. Jim

15 Years on the same Sleep Study, still using the same machines and .5 cm increase in pressure 15 cm.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:12 am

Your doctor is looking out for her $$$. I have been using CPAP for 12 years and only saw a sleep doctor the first month. I have no problem sleeping and my AHI stays between 2-3. There is nothing a sleep doctor or a sleep study can do for me.. Once you are on CPAP and using it regularly, there is no reaso n why your Primary Care Doctor can't follow your progress. Most insurance requires a doctor's follow up yearly.....it can be ANY doctor....just to verify that you are using your machine....If the machine you are showing in your profile is correct, your machine does not have the capability to provide you with data.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:43 am

hpm08161947 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:43 am
My new Doctor feels that in order for her to monitor my CPAP needs she needs a new sleep study done.
is it possible to get a NEW new doctor? seriously, check in with someone new and see if this is bs or not.

i can't comment as i haven't seen a doctor since i had my machine prescribed 4 1/2 years ago.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:22 pm

Back in he day, I did it more than that. However, that was when almost all CPAPs were "boxes" and collected no data other than motor hours. I used to refer to that as strictly an "odometer." However, it's even more primitive, as an odometer doesn't register when the car is not moving.

Also, I needed a new test when I had to replace my CPAP. What I really didn't like about that was that I had to sleep long enough without CPAP to "prove" that I still had sleep apnea. I did not like that because I'm not comfortable about sleeping without CPAP and a full night titration would be more accurate.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:03 pm

I have been "on the hose" for 10 years and doing great. My pulmonologist suggested he needed to see an up-dated report from the sleep clinic.... hinting that I needed another test.....NOT!!! I told him what my stats where and said that I would bring in copies of my latest sleepyhead reports showing and AHI under 1... consistently. He got red in the face knowing that I had not fallen for his suggestion, and said "no, if I was happy with my results I was fine".
I followed advise from those great guys and gals right here in the forum and have never looked back.
Beware of those wanting to bait you into spending your hard earned $$$ like sleep clinics and DMEs..... I buy my supplies on line and when I can at cpap.com.
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:46 pm

hpm08161947 wrote:
My Doctor tells me that it is just a "Standard of Care" to repeat sleep studies every 5 years.
"Standard of PROFIT, more like.

The medical industry is ride with unnecessary testing.

If you have a full data machine, you know what your sleep is doing..

Ps, get Oscar, sleepyhead was killed by it's creator.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:21 pm

I think I smell a KICKBACK!

klm49

Post by klm49 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:26 pm

hpm08161947 wrote:
My new Doctor feels that in order for her to monitor my CPAP needs she needs a new sleep study done. My Sleep Study was done 5 years ago and I have consistently monitored my data with SleepyHead. My data typically indicates that I have 0-2 apnic events per hour. I see nothing in this data to indicate that anew titration is needed. My Doctor tells me that it is just a "Standard of Care" to repeat sleep studies every 5 years. Do other CPAP users typically repeat their Sleep Studies every 5 yearswithout underlying data or symptoms?

I don't find it unreasonable and would want one myself. When I changed Dr.'s she wanted one, possibly because I showed her what she diagnosed as possible Rem stage desaturations. They do monitor O2 and EEG. It can't hurt.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm