WISP MASK Question - still a newbie

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Luthie2006

WISP MASK Question - still a newbie

Post by Luthie2006 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:26 am

Good afternoon: With the help and assistance of the Latinist, Pugsy and Chunky Frog among many others I am getting the hang of the CPAP machine and mask. I really appreciate it and hope that I can help someone else soon someday.
Question is I have found the WISP nasal mask the most comfortable and it is working for me with a chin-strap. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this nasal mask, where you point the exhale ventilation holes? If I point it upwards the air blows on my eyebrows. If I point it downwards the air rushes at my nose. I even put the the tubing above over my head and still I feel air rushing. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Birdsong

Re: WISP MASK Question - still a newbie

Post by Birdsong » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:00 pm

My suggestion would be to try the Airfit N10, I normally use the Airfit p10 and really like it but this spring I had some allergies going on and felt too stuffed up to use a pillow mask, so I tried the Wisp and it seemed to leak a lot and with the venting air blowing everywhere I some times couldn't tell if it was leaking or just venting into my eyes. I tried the Airfit N10 and liked it so much better, the headgear is really comfortable, easy to put on in the dark and the hose in front is so light weight it doesn't pull on the mask when I move and I couldn't even feel the venting so I'm keeping it as my "in case of need" mask. I recommended it to a friend who was looking for a nasal mask and she really likes it too. Cpap.com and a lot of the other online stores will often give you a 30 day trial on new masks so it might be worth checking into as the comfort of any mask it the key to cpaping in my opinion. Good luck, I hope you find the mask that really works for you.

Physician

Post by Physician » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:28 am

Birdsong wrote:My suggestion would be to try the Airfit N10, I normally use the Airfit p10 and really like it but this spring I had some allergies going on and felt too stuffed up to use a pillow mask, so I tried the Wisp and it seemed to leak a lot and with the venting air blowing everywhere I some times couldn't tell if it was leaking or just venting into my eyes. I tried the Airfit N10 and liked it so much better, the headgear is really comfortable, easy to put on in the dark and the hose in front is so light weight it doesn't pull on the mask when I move and I couldn't even feel the venting so I'm keeping it as my "in case of need" mask. I recommended it to a friend who was looking for a nasal mask and she really likes it too. Cpap.com and a lot of the other online stores will often give you a 30 day trial on new masks so it might be worth checking into as the comfort of any mask it the key to cpaping in my opinion. Good luck, I hope you find the mask that really works for you.

My Airfit trial was a failure. It stopped me from breathing/inhaling: viewtopic/t98411/Airfit-n10-nasal-mask- ... ml#p913162

Try the Mirage FX Nasal Mask first.

Luthie2006

Post by Luthie2006 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:10 am

Thank you both Birdsong and Physician: I was up last night with the WISP nasal mask with air flowing all over my eyes from the exhalation vent holes. I am more in confusion because now someone says hte AirFit Nasal Mask does not work well and someone says it does..... Not sure what to do now. The WISP nasal mask does work well except for the vent holes. I am also trying a position to sleep in because I also have acid reflux and if I lay on my side I cough all night, laying up on a wedge my mouth was totally dried out (with a chin strap), so for now, not sure which position or which mask.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:44 am

There's lovers and haters out there for every mask made. It's the way of the mask.
You won't know which you will be until YOU try it. There are people who have great success with the AirFit N10 and people like physician who don't. Mask preferences, facial structure, whatever....all vary with the individual and there just isn't any way for one of us to tell you for 100% sure that you will hate or love something based on our impressions.

I lasted 86 minutes with the Wisp with 50 wake ups during those 86 minutes related to the mask. You like it except for the vent holes. I didn't have a problem with the venting. I had other issues.
For me to tell someone to avoid the Wisp because I had issues with it....well it would be irrelevant and I still offer it as a suggestion when people want to use a nasal mask. It's a good mask...just not for me.

If a mask interests a person....then I tell them to try it because that is really the only way to know if it will work out for them or not. Doesn't matter what I personally might think of the mask. Now you might find out you hate it or you might find out you like it. You won't know which you will be until to you try it. It's the way it goes with masks.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sleepymags

Post by sleepymags » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:42 am

Had my first night with Wisp last night and didn't even notice there was venting air ... I found it comfy although a little weird when lying on my side. For the first time in years I slept on my back and had a steady 4hrs sleep with no interruptions until I woke up with an episode but fell back asleep again.

My husband also has a CPAP and I've learned to deal with his venting air over the years maybe that's why I didn't notice mine

BrandonB

Post by BrandonB » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:02 pm

One thing to keep in mind is like, with many "air cushion" masks nowadays, sometimes it needs to be looser for a better fit. You may want to retry fitting your headgear straps (particularly the top ones). You may have the top too tight and it's created a stark angle to blow the vents in your eyes. Then again, that may be how you need it fitted.

I am using this mask (only a week so far). I have the vents pointing up and they do not flow over my eyes. I have my headgear at their loosest setting too. No noticeable leaks. Numbers are good. So far I'm liking it!
Life before my CPAP was really no life at all!

Suzannaor

Post by Suzannaor » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:46 pm

I use the Wisp mask and find it the most comfortable of the six I tried. I believe my air vent is to the right on one side and I don't have air blowing that bothers me ... only my husband if I turn toward him! Hope you have discovered you can remove those metal fasteners on the straps, so you don't have that cutting into your face when you sleep on your side. Good luck!