Using a CPAP mask as a Covid19 mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
camper

Post by camper » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:51 pm

It took me a while to figure this out, but if you want a mask to protect you from infecting or being infected by others, those full face CPAP masks, that fully cover mouth+nose, might be better than a typical home-made or store-bought cloth masks, especially ones that don't exactly fit.

Think about it: it seals well enough to maintain the positive pressure that is the whole basis of CPAP.

In my case, I can direct the input tube downwards, and cover its main opening and holes with a piece of somewhat permeable cloth, held on by a rubber band.

Also, whereas everything else I can make or find seems to direct a moist air flow upwards, that fogs glasses, this won't.

However:

1. They look hard core. Someone might think you actually have the disease.
2. It wears out your mask, just like wearing it at night. So use an old one.
3. If you find your mask puts marks on your face, this will too. You could try loosening the straps a bit - you don't have to worry about a pillow pushing the mask off.
4. As with any mask, moist cloth and air can culture bacteria. (I don't know if it can culture the Covid19 virus.) So if you wear any mask too much, you may get sick - though maybe not with Covid19.

Anyone have any comments, concerns?

(This has been cross-posted to another forum, whose name I won't mention in case that violates this forum's rules.)

LSAT

Re: Using a CPAP mask as a Covid19 mask

Post by LSAT » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:21 pm

Use a FF mask and completely cover the hose hole and you could make yourself ill by re breathing your CO2. I'll use a cloth mask and take my chances.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:41 pm

camper wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:51 pm

2. It wears out your mask, just like wearing it at night. So use an old one.

4. As with any mask, moist cloth and air can culture bacteria. (I don't know if it can culture the Covid19 virus.) So if you wear any mask too much, you may get sick - though maybe not with Covid19.

Anyone have any comments, concerns?
2) Masks don't "wear out" just from using them. But it makes sense to use an old mask.

FFMs have AA valves, that open, that are going to let air right in and out, so, I think this is of debatable utility.

4) ever heard of 'soap and water'?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

camper

Post by camper » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:42 am

LSAT wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:21 pm
Use a FF mask and completely cover the hose hole and you could make yourself ill by re breathing your CO2. I'll use a cloth mask and take my chances.
I said to use somewhat permeable cloth, for that reason.

The problem with the cloth masks I've tried is that I can feel a stream of air streaming in and out of the top and bottom. It's enough to fog glasses, so it is likely enough that droplets containing viruses (and it seems to be generally accepted within the literature that a few such viruses as well as bacteria will probably get into your lungs one way or another, even if you wear a reasonably good mask of the type consumers can buy or make) could get to your mouth and eyes.

On my CPAP mask, the output tube can be pointed downwards but away from the face, so it would be a little better, even though some viruses will get through the permeable cloth.

Of course, there may be no easily purchasable or makeable mask that can stop all viruses, because they are so small. We do what we can.
palerider wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:41 pm
FFMs have AA valves, that open, that are going to let air right in and out, so, I think this is of debatable utility.
True for many masks.

But I use a Resmed F20 mask that AFAICT has no valve. Instead, there are holes in the output tube that fits into the main tube, which I could also cover with the same cloth.
palerider wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:41 pm
4) ever heard of 'soap and water'?
We are supposed to use mild detergent to clean our CPAP equipment to reduce the bacterial problem.

It seems like most medical treatments have potential side effects, and involve trade-offs. We accept the presumably somewhat elevated bacterial levels from CPAP machines (and other humidifiers, I suppose) because we assume sleep apnea has a bigger risk of causing problems. Just like we accept the potential side effects when we take a life-saving medication.

But there are many medical sources that say that protective masks (like surgical masks) should only be used a few hours (typical cited max: 3 hours) because of the bacterial culture problem. And there are also such sources that say you should always look at the risk trade-offs between wearing masks and not wearing them. I presume you would wear very hardcore masks and other protection all the time you were around people with a super-dangerous virus or other disease like Ebola. Yet most of us often don't do that when we are around many common airborne diseases, like mild colds or flus, because the mask might pose a greater risk, and perhaps because it would be a nuisance. For the present, Covid19 is seen as a serious enough risk at present that it often makes sense to wear them when you are around other people. Maybe that will change if and when we can get immunized, and/or better treatments come into being.

When I go running outside, I go to uncrowded areas, and don't wear a mask, though I take a washable one with me (probably designed for pollen and air pollution particulates, but that also claims to stop droplets - but doesn't cover the eyes) with me, in case I get into a situation where I feel I need it. But if I go into a medical appointment, maybe I should take more...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:51 am

Cloth masks are not perfect, but they are lightweight, and inexpensive.
I have yet to see a medical mask that fit as nicely as my old Sleepweaver.
Of course, the mechanics are completely different--positive air pressure/non-porous fabric, etc.
I wonder if anybody at Circadiance is working on a new line . . .

SandmanIsOnVacation

Post by SandmanIsOnVacation » Fri May 08, 2020 3:39 pm

I have done this myself. I found several issues along the way that I had to work out. (BTW- I use a Resmed F10 full face mask)

1. The elbow that attaches to the mask has open ports for exhaled breath. To fix this, I purchased Resmed elbows designed to fit between the CPAP and the hose. (These don't have any holes and are the same diameter.) Of course, the new elbows don't have any attaching clips, so I had to use waterproof tape to attach them to the face mask. (I ended up using electrical tape. I am looking for something rated for use with oxygen that will work. I saw several types of plumbing tape seem to be rated for that, but I'm not as familiar with it. I can say the adhesive in duct tape is irritating so I'd skip that.)

2. Cloth is hard to breath through, especially with the area for air to pass being shrunk to the tube's size. To help with that, instead of using cloth, I purchased in-line viral/bacterial filters. They are already fitted to typical breathing circuit diameters, so they fit the elbow. Also, they are rated for over 99% filtering at .3 microns. Finally, they are specifically designed to allow good air flow.

3. Even with this setup, it was still hard to breath. I still wasn't getting enough air. So I purchased a disposable nebulizer mouthpiece off Amazon. Where the nebulizer attaches to the breathing tube, there is a T shaped adapter. I attached the bottom of the adapter to the elbow and placed bacterial filters at either end. This allows enough air to pass for comfortable breathing for me.

The thing does look a bit like a do-it yourself gas mask, so I tie a bandana around it so I don't look quite so "medical" in public.
Last edited by SandmanIsOnVacation on Fri May 08, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.