DreamWear Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
OkyDoky

Re: DreamWear Mask

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:30 pm

palerider wrote:
OkyDoky wrote:PR, I found that the Dreamwear had system resistance X1 and so did the Wisp nasal mask. So possibly nasal?
well, x1 is their generic setting... so... maybe?

I'd really have to be motivated to look up the numbers in the manual, and compare it to some resmed masks to get an idea.

while I believe that the mask type setting has an effect on the final delivered pressure in your mask, I do think it's a smaller effect than say hose type or length, or whether there's an AB filter in the line.

I've started conducting some informal experiments with a differential manometer, measuring pressure at the back of the humidifer and at the mask, with a 10 foot hose and an ab filter, I'm seeing up to 6cm more pressure at the back of the machine than at the mask, during inhalation, and around .1 more pressure during exhalation, that's at 18/13 pressure settings.

so while the mask is measuring 13 to 18cm, at the back of the machine I'm getting 13 to 23. compensation for resistance of the hose and filter. I haven't tried changing mask settings yet, but it's on the list of things to do
Yeah, looks like something for another day.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

marcus10

Post by marcus10 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:28 pm

Have to say I also love this mask. I'm new to CPAP but so far have trialled the Nuance, P10, Wisp and Amara View as well as the Dreamwear. The Dreamwear is my favourite mask by far in terms of comfort and it is a joy to use.

The silicone feels good next to the skin and it does come with fabric as well if people prefer. The only issues I've found is it can be difficult to use as a side sleeper. Although the air comes down the non-compressed side, it can have a tendency to dislodge the pillow sufficiently to start a small leak. However, I don't think this is particularly worse than any other mask I've tried.

DeeCPAP

Re: DreamWear Mask and Amara View

Post by DeeCPAP » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:30 pm

Pugsy, I bolded and put it in read font, the part of your message that jumped out at me (see below). I've been on the Amara View for a few days, both the medium and the small. I KNOW the Amara will be the best I've used since I've been on CPAP therapy because using only pillows isn't natural for me because I breathe 50% through my nose and 50% through my mouth. None of the pillow masks allowed me to do this. HOWEVER, the problem I'm having with the Amara is the leaking but ONLY when I try to take the weight of the mask off the tip of my nose .. that's when air came gushing out.

To me, it feels like the tip of the mask is smashing the tip of my nose. It really isn't, but it feels like it after I've worn the mask for a few minutes. When I try to fix it and lower the part that touches my nose just a half of a millimeter (not a precise measurement lol) then the leaks start. I've worked on this mask and getting it adjusted MANY, MANY hours and the problem recurred, until I read your message about the airflow setting and changed it to NASAL ULTRA.

This MAY be the solution because now when I try to adjust the tip of the nose I don't get air leaks that blow me away(at least for now). I wonder if that NASAL ULTRA setting on my ResMed S9 could be the difference between no leak and a WINDSTORM leak. If this works consistently (where my nose doesn't feel like it's being squashed) then it'll be a dream come true. My nose really isn't really getting squashed, but it's so sensitive but it feels like it AND I've been waking up with a pink-tipped nose and a windstorm in my face.

I'll report back if it works because it may help other new Amara view users. Keeping your mouth closed all night when you're really a nose*and*mouth breather can feel tortuous to some (namely me). Tonight will be the first night I'll know if it works well and not just while lying down tweaking things.

P.S. I don't get message alerts when I'm following a topic (website glitch, I presume), but I hope following it manually will work.
Pugsy wrote: <SNIP>
When I did the month long trial with the DreamWear I just left the S9 setting on nasal pillows (what I normally use) and actually never gave it a second thought. To me it is a nasal pillow type of mask as the airflow is more direct than a nasal cushion type of mask...but that's just my thoughts.

I don't think it is something that is a make it or break it choice. It might affect the baseline leak a tiny bit (or it might not) but if it does it isn't something that is a huge deal.

Not long ago I tested the Amara View (which is a full face hybrid type) with and without the correct choice being made in the mask selection menu and with the nasal pillow mask choice being made I saw maybe a 2 to 3 L/min difference in the baseline leak. It showed a little more baseline leak with the nasal pillow choice than it did with the "correct" choice. Which sort of goes along with what we have been told by ResMed in that the mask choice is there mainly for leak computation.
I was actually surprised that the difference was so slight as I would have thought it would have been greater.

It might make a difference if someone is continually skirting large leak territory all night long for some reason but that would be about the extent of whether I would worry about leak being a tiny bit off due to mask choice.
It's not like it is 10 to 15 L/min different...it's more like 2 to 3 between nasal pillows and full face mask and I suspect with the DreamWear that the difference between nasal and nasal pillow probably is barely measurable.

As far as actually comparing resistance...way more work than I feel needs to be done so I won't be doing it. The Amara View mask choice experiment showed me it wasn't that big of a deal.

Additional Comments: My headgear varies (STILL!)
Resmed S9 with humidifier and in need of the right mask.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:57 am

DeeCPAP wrote:I wonder if that NASAL ULTRA setting on my ResMed S9 could be the difference between no leak and a WINDSTORM leak.
My experiments with leak and the Amara View and the mask setting were intended only for the baseline leak numbers...baseline being the leak line where there was no large leak and I knew it because I was awake and knew for sure there was no leak and I also slept with it 2 nights...1 with the nasal pillow setting and 1 with the correct full face mask setting.

Now I have been known to let a little big leak slide if I slept through it and I don't know if your idea of a "windstorm" leak would be the same as what I might let slide. If large leaks aren't prolonged and I don't wake up and they don't happen often then I don't try to do much about them but if they are prolonged and I see them happening often then I would do something about them.
Essentially the same advice no matter what mask is being used and even for mouth opening leaks.
It all depends on how long it lasts...how often it happens and how far it goes into large leak territory and of course does it wake me up or not. I don't rely solely on the leak numbers themselves....I like to look at the whole picture before I decide if leaks need serious work or not.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Iamagolfer

Post by Iamagolfer » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:58 pm

Finally received my Dreamwear mask. looking forward to having a good night's sleep (finally) - fingers crossed!

Had been semi-tolerant using the AmaraView but lately, it has felt heavy, like an elephant sitting on my face.

gasp

Post by gasp » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:53 pm

Oh! Lamagolfer you're first night! I too hope it goes well.

For me, this mask fits looser than any other mask I've worn, to seal properly and be comfortable.

For the final adjustment, I just put the DreamWear on, get into my sleep position, breath to start the air flowing, and lift the nasal part of the mask into a sealed position under my nose. Voila!

Let us know how it went.