It's raining again

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
puffing billy

Post by puffing billy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:59 am

Melissa this post is now quite long so I cant quite recall what you have done but I will put forward all of my ideas for a fix (I realise you might have tried them).

1. Machine on the floor (as low as you can get).
2. A cover on the hose.
3. A cover on the exposed area of the hose on the mask.
4. The routing of the hose so that the shortest length possible goes downwards to the mask.
5. The other end of the hose slopes back into the humidifier with no U bend to trap moisture.
6. Set the humidifier to 1.
7. Measure the temperature of the water at each setting from low to high as it may be possible the humidifier is not controlling the water temperature. I had this happen on PB humidifier it just ran hot, CPAP.com replaced it.
8. Stop any draughts.

This is all I can think of at the moment.

Billy

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:14 pm

#5--I'm wondering b/c this machine has a swivel connector to the hose, that this is causing some to be trapped. Also, the swivel elbow in my mask. Last night, everytime I turned to the side, it "dumped" water on me, like it had been sitting in the elbow.

#7-I'm going to try this

Everything else I'm doing, but thanks for the other 2 that I hadn't thought of. Last night I was awoken several times b/c of this .

~Melissa~

The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. ~E. Joseph Cossman

rainout

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:36 pm

I took the humidifier off of my CPAP machine because I was always waking up to water. It's great without it. Once in awhile if the room is really cold I get a little water in the tube but nothing like before.

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:39 pm

Melissa,

I forgot to mention this earlier: Have you started out with a DRY hose each time you introduce something different to your 'trials'?
It does seems obvious, but sometimes those are the things we forget - just a thought.

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:06 am

Yes, not at first I didn't...lol...but the last 4-5 days I have been making sure it is completely dry, even the mask and still managing to get the water.
~Melissa~

The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. ~E. Joseph Cossman

dsm

Post by dsm » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:18 am

Mellisa,

The one time I had this problem (constant rain) was in the middle of winter (our winters are rather mild though).

I was using the PB330 bilevel & HC150 F&P humidifier which had been great up until this point.

I had a flimsy tube cover that was so useless I threw it away.

IIRC the solution for me was using a full length fleecy cover that went end to end on the airhose + I found a setting on the HC150 that reduced the waterfall enough + I kept the windows closed for a few nights (wife loves em open even in a howling gale). But this did occur in a period when the temperature had gone from quite warm in the daytime to particularly cold at night for this particular climate.

But I never did have to resort to the heated tube.

I actually like cold air & can tolerate some spray on my face

Good luck

DSM
(we are coming into summer now)

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

hmmartin

Post by hmmartin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:59 pm

Melissa,
I have the same cpap machine that you have and am in a trial study for the same type of mask that you are using.

I had been using the swift nasal pillow mask and did not have any issuses with "rain" since trying the other one I have had rain every night , waking me up. I will be glad with the study is over with so I can return to my other mask.

I think the mask has issues.

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:56 pm

Maybe it is related to the mask. And the only reason I didn't notice it before, is b/c it didn't get cold enough for it to happen.
~Melissa~