Thoughts about the future of wide open 4–20 setting/detecting optimal APAP pressure

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Thoughts about the future of wide open 4–20 setting/detecting optimal APAP pressure

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:25 am

CapnLoki wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:07 am
Pugsy wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:24 pm
alexander wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:14 pm
It’s still a mystery to me why my AirSense 10 gives me a much higher pressure than what is needed in order to treat my apneas and hypopneas if I set the maximum pressure to 20. I wonder if other machines would react in a similar way.
Because it treats more than apneas and hyponeas in auto mode....snores and FLs are actually a much bigger driving force for pressure than people realize and you don't necessarily see evidence of those happening as much as a flagged event can be seen easily.
Actually its well established that the ResMed algorithm overshoots the needed pressure by a wide margin.
"well established", please document your allegation.

What *IS* well established is that you vastly prefer Respironics because you feel they use a lot less battery power.

What is also well supported by peoples posts in the forums is that the vast majority of people that have tried both brands of machines prefer Resmed auto machines to Respironics auto machines.
CapnLoki wrote:
This is a byproduct of the "fast response" that is designed into ResMed.
The "fast response" of Resmed machines has to do with not ignoring apneas and hypopneas, and instead... RESPONDING TO THEM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzCCgNLya_g

It has nothing to do with how fast the pressure increases.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

alexander

Re: Thoughts about the future of wide open 4–20 setting/detecting optimal APAP pressure

Post by alexander » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:23 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:54 am
alexander wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:15 am
https://i.imgur.com/DqJBXcG.png

Does it look acceptable?
No.
wiki/index.php/Sleepyhead:Organize
Or, from the link at the top of the forum that you should have read before posting:
viewtopic/t158560/How-to-post-images-for-review.html
Sorry for that. The following should be better. I’d appreciate if someone could have a look.

https://i.imgur.com/QC8wLwV.png

Edit: I should mention that I felt more alert when I wake up than usual, but I’ve throughout the day maybe felt a bit more tired than usual. Perhaps it just takes some time getting used to a different pressure?

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:44 pm

alexander wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:23 pm
palerider wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:54 am
alexander wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:15 am
https://i.imgur.com/DqJBXcG.png

Does it look acceptable?
No.
wiki/index.php/Sleepyhead:Organize
Or, from the link at the top of the forum that you should have read before posting:
viewtopic/t158560/How-to-post-images-for-review.html
Sorry for that. The following should be better. I’d appreciate if someone could have a look.

https://i.imgur.com/QC8wLwV.png
*gives up*.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:16 pm

I looked at your report.
Nothing exciting going on with it IMHO.
Your pressure barely went just a little bit over 11 cm and even then it was for a relative brief duration.
Nothing I see warrants any changes.

If you are still having unwanted symptoms then maybe look deeper into the usual causes of those unwanted symptoms.
Hours of sleep?
Are those hours fragmented with multiple wake ups?
Medication side effects?
Other health issues maybe a factor?
Not everything that we complain about can be fixed by cpap. Cpap only fixes the sleep apnea stuff...it can't fix bad sleep caused by something else.
Or you simply may need more time for the body to adjust. I know people expect quick miracle fixes but in real life those are very rare.
Most of us have found it takes weeks, months or even longer to feel better.

I still get sleepy in the afternoon...10 years of cpap therapy that is darn near perfect. Very low AHI, no mask problems or anything like that. I get sleepy because I don't sleep well due to other health issues that I have that mess with my sleep...or the dog wakes me up...or the cat wakes me up or sometimes I get insomnia and can't sleep for no known reason.
It is what it is. I would have the same problem even if I didn't have OSA and use cpap.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:38 pm

CapnLoki wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:24 pm
alexander wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:14 pm
It’s still a mystery to me why my AirSense 10 gives me a much higher pressure than what is needed in order to treat my apneas and hypopneas if I set the maximum pressure to 20. I wonder if other machines would react in a similar way.
Because it treats more than apneas and hyponeas in auto mode....snores and FLs are actually a much bigger driving force for pressure than people realize and you don't necessarily see evidence of those happening as much as a flagged event can be seen easily.
Actually its well established that the ResMed algorithm overshoots the needed pressure by a wide margin. This is a byproduct of the "fast response" that is designed into ResMed. Personally, I like to set the mask straps at the lowest force to withstand the pressure so it would drive me crazy to have the pressure run up to 15 when I only need 11. Of course, the best thing is to have the initial pressure set correctly to start.

Although some folks praise the ResMed fast algorithm, I wonder if its responsible for so many people complaining about leaks.
Well....I have had the opportunity to use both Respironics and ResMed auto adjusting machines.
I am wondering where you got this idea that ResMed overshoots anything.

3 Years of Respironics apap use ....10 minimum with 20 maximum Flex at 2... and almost 2 more years of auto BiPap use with EPAP 9 and PS of 4.....often saw 18 cm hit probably during REM where my OSA is known worse. 90% number 12 to 13 range if averaging long term (like 6 months). Overall median average around 11 to 12. Average AHI around 2 ish.

over 5 years of ResMed apap usage...and the most recent 2 years with the AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her using the for her mode.
Minimum of 7 cm...max 20 and EPR at 3....
And here below is the last 12 months of stats....overall average is lower, 95% numbers are lower, maximum numbers are lower.
And all that is with starting at quite a bit lower with more exhale relief....AHI is actually somewhat lower but most of my AHI is always SWJ due to the back pain stuff.

Hmmm....ResMed numbers are all lower in every category.... so I fail to see how anyone can say that ResMed overshoots anything.

You are of course entitled to your opinion but I just don't see any proof to substantiate what you are saying happens. If anything Respironics requires more pressure to do the same job and it would be the overshooting culprit in my book.
And I am basing my opinion on years and years with both machines and lots of software data looked at over those years.

Leaks at higher pressures...comes with the territory when we make initial adjustments at lower settings and then are surprised when it blows out at higher pressures and we spend a lot of time at the higher pressures.

My IPAP numbers for last couple of weeks slightly higher because I am now using a bilevel ResMed machine and doing some experimenting...all the other stuff older than a couple of weeks was all with the for Her AutoSet.
my stats.JPG

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

alexander

Post by alexander » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:38 pm

Pugsy, thanks for the review.

I do take some melatonin supplement, but nothing else that should affect sleep – I think. Otherwise I usually sleep through the night. I did wake up a bit more than usual last night, but fell asleep again quickly.

It probably takes a little while in order to adjust so I’ll give it some time. :)

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:00 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:25 am
CapnLoki wrote:
Actually its well established that the ResMed algorithm overshoots the needed pressure by a wide margin.
Pugsy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:38 pm
Sorry - I thought you knew this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5005142/
This study, funded by ResMed, simulates the response of various machines. I appreciate that both of you believe the ResMed algorithm is superior, but perhaps many of the folks with leak problems are victims of an over aggressive response.
palerider wrote:
What *IS* well established is that you vastly prefer Respironics because you feel they use a lot less battery power.
Its not that I "feel" that ResMed uses more power, its that ResMed documents their testing which shows that the AirSense in particular uses almost twice the power of other machines, including their older and cheaper models. I would also point out that the camping setup (DC, no humidity) for the AirSense is over two lbs heavier than the DreamStation. So twice the weight, twice the battery needs, about 50% more volume - this is a huge difference for a camper. And don't forget that the ResMed is over $300 more expensive. I'll admit this of not much import for the home user, unless they have need of battery backup.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:54 pm

CapnLoki wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:00 pm
This study, funded by ResMed, simulates the response of various machines. I appreciate that both of you believe the ResMed algorithm is superior, but perhaps many of the folks with leak problems are victims of an over aggressive response.
Is the mentioned DreamStar the Respironics DreamStation? That was never clear to me but if it is......it didn't go as high but it also never established normal breathing where it went to and the residual AHI was a lot higher at the pressures it went to and I guess quit.... and I am sorry...I care more about killing apneas than I do worrying about leaks from pressures that increase either too slow or too fast.
I want the machine to kill the apneas....I will figure out how to manage the leaks.....if there is a problem which I have never had leaks from pressures even when I was using ASV and routinely saw pressures over 20. Now with that machine the pressures did fire up fast....from 9 cm to 22 cm in about 15 seconds and then back down again.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:47 pm

CapnLoki wrote:
palerider wrote:
CapnLoki wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:38 pm
Please point out where in that study there's a conclusion that Resmed machines are "over aggressive"... because I searched through it *twice* and couldn't find the phrase "over aggressive" anywhere, I couldn't even find the word "aggressive".

I did find the word "over" but it had nothing to do with your fantasy.
CapnLoki wrote:
palerider wrote:
Its not that I "feel" that ResMed uses more power, its that ResMed documents their testing which shows that the AirSense in particular uses almost twice the power of other machines, including their older and cheaper models. I would also point out that the camping setup (DC, no humidity) for the AirSense is over two lbs heavier than the DreamStation. So twice the weight, twice the battery needs, about 50% more volume - this is a huge difference for a camper. And don't forget that the ResMed is over $300 more expensive. I'll admit this of not much import for the home user, unless they have need of battery backup.
I know that you prefer to have inferior treatment every night of the year so as to save a little power... and that's perfectly fine... for you.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:38 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:54 pm
CapnLoki wrote:
Is the mentioned DreamStar the Respironics DreamStation? That was never clear to me but if it is......it didn't go as high but it also never established normal breathing where it went to and the residual AHI was a lot higher at the pressures it went to and I guess quit.... and I am sorry...I care more about killing apneas than I do worrying about leaks from pressures that increase either too slow or too fast.
I want the machine to kill the apneas....I will figure out how to manage the leaks.....if there is a problem which I have never had leaks from pressures even when I was using ASV and routinely saw pressures over 20. Now with that machine the pressures did fire up fast....from 9 cm to 22 cm in about 15 seconds and then back down again.
The DreamStar appears to be from a different company that I've never heard of. The paper was published before the DreamStation was released, and since it was funded be ResMed I doubt they had early access to a DreamStation. They do include a "System One" which I assume was a Respironics 560.

I believe that you and others have had success with ResMed, but in the forums we only see a tiny fraction of the users. And with roughly half of those diagnosed with Apnea successfully using a cpap, I tend to think many of the problems are more mundane than the complex issues that sometimes get more attention. I wonder how many folks were discouraged by large leaks. I found leaks rather annoying but they did not happen frequently so I didn't give up. Fortunately, I realized my bad clusters of events were from supine sleeping and they went away went I forced myself to side sleep. But so many people don't have forum support or sleepyhead and give up too soon - I wonder if the most aggressive treatment always serves the greater good.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:00 am

palerider wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:47 pm
CapnLoki wrote:
Please point out where in that study there's a conclusion that Resmed machines are "over aggressive"... because I searched through it *twice* and couldn't find the phrase "over aggressive" anywhere, I couldn't even find the word "aggressive".
Perhaps this is the reason I included the word "Perhaps" to imply that this was a personal opinion rather than the formal conclusion of the study. Perhaps your inability to understand nuance such as this is caused by the poor quality of your therapy.
palerider wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:47 pm
I know that you prefer to have inferior treatment every night of the year so as to save a little power... and that's perfectly fine... for you.
My "inferior treatment" has brought my AHI down from 82 to 0.1 and I get a good nights sleep. I'm not sure what else I might ask for.
As for saving power - for myself it means little because I have plenty to spare. But it seems to be useful to plenty of folks who enjoy (or are forced into) living off-grid.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:38 am

CapnLoki wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:38 am
The DreamStar appears to be from a different company that I've never heard of. The paper was published before the DreamStation was released, and since it was funded be ResMed I doubt they had early access to a DreamStation. They do include a "System One" which I assume was a Respironics 560.

I believe that you and others have had success with ResMed, but in the forums we only see a tiny fraction of the users. And with roughly half of those diagnosed with Apnea successfully using a cpap, I tend to think many of the problems are more mundane than the complex issues that sometimes get more attention. I wonder how many folks were discouraged by large leaks. I found leaks rather annoying but they did not happen frequently so I didn't give up. Fortunately, I realized my bad clusters of events were from supine sleeping and they went away went I forced myself to side sleep. But so many people don't have forum support or sleepyhead and give up too soon - I wonder if the most aggressive treatment always serves the greater good.
We see mostly the people who come here with problems....the people who start cpap and never have a problem ...they aren't going to need or want to go finding help.....and there are lucky people like that.
There are of course people who have problems and don't get the help they need if they run into trouble and don't find us.
This forum wouldn't need to exist if the medicare care people would do a better job helping their patients....but they don't.

The more responsive the auto adjusting algorithm doesn't equal leak issues for all people...heck people on fixed pressure have major leak issues. People on ASV machines or bilevel machines with a big PS don't always have leak problems either and there can be some huge pressure changes with those machines with every breath and not just over a few minutes.

Leaks can be highly annoying when they wake us up. Trust me I understand it....got a good dose of it last night when my Bleep came loose off my nose a little bit last night. It wasn't related to the machine doing its job...it was related to my lazy ass not using the alcohol on my nose like I know I should have done. I washed my face good and thought "that's good enough" and didn't do the millisecond of work to wipe with alcohol. I paid for my laziness last night. :lol: I haven't looked at my data yet but I know they weren't big leaks though...just enough air blowing around my nose to wake me up several times. Not enough to affect therapy itself but sure enough to affect my sleep quality which is already extremely fragile anyway. Dumb ass move on my part.
I still say that if I am going to have to used this damn machine...I want to use a machine that will deal most effectively with my OSA as best as is possible and if in its doing is job leaks become an issue...I deal with the leaks. My most important goal is treat the OSA first.
Sub par therapy is a last resort...still better than nothing but I won't accept that unless absolutely no choice between sub par or no therapy.

For the people who do have leak issues when the pressure goes higher and maybe stays higher...they need to use a starting higher pressure when fitting the mask in the first place. If the changes themselves are a huge problem..heck, use a fixed pressure.
There are ways to deal with leaks that don't involve sub par therapy for parts of the night.

I did see that the System One was used in that study above...and to my knowledge the algorithm itself didn't change when they did the DreamStation so I would assume the DreamStation results would have been the same as the System One. The System One didn't fair so great in that test either. I do realize this study was funded by ResMed and those sorts of studies where the funding party's equipment comes out on top always make me take a sideways look at things. :lol: I actually hate the way ResMed does just about everything they do...but they do make a quality product that does a damn good job. I am not going to cut off my nose to spite my face because I hate almost everything about ResMed but their machine. I am not that stupid or hard headed. I am pretty hard headed :lol: but not in that area.

I do realize that Respironics makes a good product and it works well when the settings are optimal and when given a decent head start in auto mode so that it's gentler response can still do the job it was designed to do. Remember I used one for several years and did quite well with it. I am not going to beat anyone up for getting a Respironics machine. I won't bad mouth them universally.
Let's face it...there are some people who do better with the Respironics algorithm and there are people who do better with the ResMed algorithm and there are people who it simply doesn't matter....they might do well with either or do horribly with either.

When asked for my opinion though...I have to give an opinion based on my own personal experience as well as what I have learned from the experiences here on the forum that get reported and what I have seen. It's what everyone does...recommend whatever it is that we personally have had success with...be it mask or machine or humidity setting. It's in our nature to do that even though we know about that YMMV sticker.

To me not to recommend a ResMed machine just because a few people might have leak issues is simply not something I am going to do.
Not everyone has leak issues for one thing and the leaks aren't necessarily always from the more responsive algorithm either and even if it was...there are better ways to deal with it than just use a machine a different machine with a slower response time.
First priority...kill the apnea stuff...deal with any problems the killing might cause if/when they pop up.

Finally....in my experience...if the higher pressures were a big factor in leaks...all my overall numbers in terms of pressures reach are less with the ResMed. If I got leaks at 15 with the Respironics but I don't with 13 and the ResMed doesn't ever need to go above 13...which is a better alternative? If it is the increase or change from a lower pressure to the higher pressure itself that is the problem...start the minimum higher or mask fit to higher so the change isn't so much to lessen the change effect on leaks.

And again thank you for all you do here to field the off grid battery stuff. I simply still can wrap my head around all that stuff.

JayDee

Post by JayDee » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:17 am

CapnLoki wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:38 am
I wonder how many folks were discouraged by large leaks. I found leaks rather annoying but they did not happen frequently so I didn't give up. Fortunately, I realized my bad clusters of events were from supine sleeping and they went away went I forced myself to side sleep. But so many people don't have forum support or sleepyhead and give up too soon - I wonder if the most aggressive treatment always serves the greater good.
Has the root cause of leaks been identified as primarily machine pressure? Or is it far more often...
- mask too loose
- poor-fitting masks no matter how tight
- moving in your sleep & dislodging the mask (partially or completely)
- need for a mask liner
- mask liner out of position
- itching your face in your sleep and dislodging the mask
(all are causes of leaks I've experienced and I'm sure there may be others I haven't listed)

I can't say for sure that an increase in mask pressure has ever caused leaks for me. It's pretty much been my fault as far as I can recall.

I've gone from APAP to CPAP and I've always had leaks. The only time they are an issue is when they wake me up, but most mornings, I see that red, frowny-face on the machine for leaks and do not recall experiencing them during the night. Apparently they happen - and can be in the "bad" range - but they don't wake me. My AHI is typically <1 and I feel (admittedly subjective) like I sleep good.

In my experience (and I'm certainly no expert), leaks are no where near the "therapy disaster" some may fear they are. It would be great if I could completely eliminate them, but (pardon the pun) I'm not going to lose any sleep trying to figure out a perfect "zero leaks" night. I don't worry about leaks so much. What I have to worry about is eating a sweet dessert too late -- that will make me sleep horribly for some unfair reason.

-JD
If you're not having a good time, *DO* something about it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:13 am

CapnLoki wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:00 am
Perhaps your inability to understand nuance such as this is caused by the poor quality of your therapy.
Perhaps you should stick to things you're competent at, like designing battery backup systems, and leave the lame attempts at insults to people that don't actually have any talent, because you're not very good at coming up with a creative insult.

As to the alleged poor quality of my therapy, here's last night:
ss827.png
If you disregard the one central that appears to be post arousal, then that makes the AHI .14, one hypopnea.

And, yes, I know I shouldn't dignify such pathetic digs.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:40 pm

Hah! Too Funny, you actually took the bait and had to try to prove your AHI is lower than mine! What a putz, you've been pwned!!
palerider wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:13 am
Perhaps you should stick to things you're competent at, like designing battery backup systems, and leave the lame attempts at insults to people that don't actually have any talent, because you're not very good at coming up with a creative insult.
You're right - you are the master of the lame insult!