A CRY FOR HELP, Is this only sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Miss Emerita

Re: A CRY FOR HELP, Is this only sleep apnea

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:29 pm

Good job on the chart, Barebones. I'm not sure whether you are using the ramp feature; if you are, do you think you'd miss it if you turned it off? If you're willing to experiment, give it a try.

What jumps out to me is that you are having a lot of obstructive apneas, with a total AHI on CPAP almost at a diagnostic level. To reduce the OAs, you would probably benefit from a higher minimum pressure. Although your machine is quite nimble, it isn't able to head off OAs with a minimum this low.

You may wind up needing a higher minimum, but I'd suggest you start with 8, which I bet you'll find comfortable. If that's OK, leave it there for a few nights and then try inching it up if you're still seeing a lot of OAs.

Other things to think about:

* Do you mostly sleep on your back? sides? stomach? If you sleep on your back, I wonder whether you can try gently to train yourself to sleep on your sides. For many people, OAs are more frequent with back-sleeping, when the tongue can start sliding back and narrowing the airway.

* Also, do you use a high pillow or a stack of pillows? If so, you might try a flatter, firmer pillow so you'll be less likely to tuck your chin toward your chest. That, too, can narrow the airway, making OAs more prevalent.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:34 pm

Barebones wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:52 pm
woops sorry. i thought i was meant to remove that section so i left it out. Thanks for letting me know :D
hows this....
Also do you need multiple days for a good analysis?
still trying to understand this all. but thanks so much for all your support. i check this thread daily for replys. so thanks
much more better! :lol:

yes, please, more charts so we can see what sort of trends are going on.

i have nothing to add to the most excellent advice that miss e has provided.

always ALWAYS ask if you don't understand something. some of "old timers" have a tendency to speak in jargon and assume the new user is following along.

continued good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Barebones

Post by Barebones » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:51 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:29 pm
Good job on the chart, Barebones. I'm not sure whether you are using the ramp feature; if you are, do you think you'd miss it if you turned it off? If you're willing to experiment, give it a try.

What jumps out to me is that you are having a lot of obstructive apneas, with a total AHI on CPAP almost at a diagnostic level. To reduce the OAs, you would probably benefit from a higher minimum pressure. Although your machine is quite nimble, it isn't able to head off OAs with a minimum this low.

You may wind up needing a higher minimum, but I'd suggest you start with 8, which I bet you'll find comfortable. If that's OK, leave it there for a few nights and then try inching it up if you're still seeing a lot of OAs.

Other things to think about:

* Do you mostly sleep on your back? sides? stomach? If you sleep on your back, I wonder whether you can try gently to train yourself to sleep on your sides. For many people, OAs are more frequent with back-sleeping, when the tongue can start sliding back and narrowing the airway.

* Also, do you use a high pillow or a stack of pillows? If so, you might try a flatter, firmer pillow so you'll be less likely to tuck your chin toward your chest. That, too, can narrow the airway, making OAs more prevalent.
Im keen to try anything at this stage. My life sucks! So I will check my settings tonight and try that. I mostly sleep on my side or my back. Always been a side sleeper tho. And don't have too many pillows as I get a sore neck. So mostly one flat pillow.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:39 pm

Keep us posted, would you?

Barebones

Post by Barebones » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:14 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:39 pm
Keep us posted, would you?
yes i will!
last night i changed my settings as you suggested.
i did notice a difference and struggled a little to get comfortable. i felt the air in my lungs which is a strange feeling but think i can get used to it. Ive been thinking ..because i breath through my nose and not my mouth and i have a deviated septum. i wonder how effective cpap can be? i mean its only a small hole that has to be forced into to stop and event. ??? just something i have been thinking about.... :?

..setting from last night and graph ...
min pressure 8 was 4
max 17
response standard
ramp time 25min- was 35min
start pressure 4
Attachments
oscar 3.png
oscar 3.png (109.85 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:20 pm

These are encouraging results, Barebones, though as always, one night does not a trend make. Your obstructive apnea is better controlled, which tells us you're on a good path here. There's a little uptick in central apneas, but I suspect the cluster right before your 11:15 break was during a transition from sleep to waking and so of no real consequence. Your pressure levels are smoother, which perhaps makes for a more restful night.

I think if you're willing, you'd do well to continue with these settings for at least a few more nights so you can get used to the slightly higher median pressure. If all goes well, then next step might be to raise the minimum a little bit at a time, and perhaps reduce the ramp time gradually as well.

Keep us posted!

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:24 pm

p.s. Your machine produces continuous pressure -- sort of pressurizing your whole airway all the time. At the extreme, if the airway is quite constricted, your breathing will be constricted too. But it will be less constricted with pressure continuously at work than without it.

I hope others will weigh in on this, as there are aspects of it I feel I don't understand as well as I'd like to.

elsueno

Post by elsueno » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:05 am

x

Last edited by elsueno on Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:32 pm

I would definitely see about going to a neurologist. I have been having balance issues for several months. I went the ENT. He couldn't find anything. So he sent me for vestibular testing. Results were borderline abnormal, but ruled out the basic stuff. She he ordered s brain MRI. Small white spots that are basically lesions, but too small to be called lesions. Also having a variety of other symptoms. I am currently waiting for multiple test results and follow up. He is testing my MS, Lyme, and a few other things. It sounds like you have symptoms that could really use some testing.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Barebones

Post by Barebones » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:11 pm

THANKS EVERYONE. You are being so helpful
I havnt changed any settings since last time we spoke but will lower the ramp a little more. i slept quite well last night.
The next set of test results im waiting to hear back are for an Allergy test and Thyroid. I and my family have discussed a MRI Brain scan
but at the time the doctor was not for it. I will rediscuss with him soon i feel. anyway here is last nights data. Thanks
Attachments
oscar 4.png
oscar 4.png (111.47 KiB) Viewed 1104 times

cyberdreamer

Post by cyberdreamer » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:43 pm

Barebones wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:11 pm
THANKS EVERYONE. You are being so helpful
I havnt changed any settings since last time we spoke but will lower the ramp a little more. i slept quite well last night.
The next set of test results im waiting to hear back are for an Allergy test and Thyroid. I and my family have discussed a MRI Brain scan
but at the time the doctor was not for it. I will rediscuss with him soon i feel. anyway here is last nights data. Thanks
Great leak rate. I'm jealous. Sleep quality should improve as you get used to the machine.
Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset (humidity 7, slimline hose) (5 years)
Mask: Resmed F30 (medium) (1 year)
Previous masks: Swift FX Nano (5 years); Dreamwear Nasal (few days); Swift FX pillow (few days)
Sleep study in 2016 with AHI 12 and some oxy desats

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:45 pm

You had a good sleep—that’s excellent. Stick with your current settings at least a few more days, then try going up a little. But do go ahead and shorten the ramp if you can hack that.

I hope the additional medical investigations will pay off. Meanwhile, do keep us posted.

Barebones

Post by Barebones » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:06 pm

hi guys i posted a reply yesterday but doesnt look like it has showed up . ah well .. i will post up last night and the days before data.
still struggling with fatigue and brain fog but feel like the new machine settings are better...
Attachments
oscarshot.png
oscarshot.png (110.39 KiB) Viewed 1030 times

Barebones

Post by Barebones » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:08 pm

more data...... let me know if you notice anything you think i can change to help better my therapy.
thanks
Attachments
oscarrecent.png
oscarrecent.png (109.02 KiB) Viewed 1030 times

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:01 pm

How would you feel about raising your minimum to 8.8? I'm going to guess that little flurry of CAs at the end of the night were transitional and so not much of a red flag. The higher minimum might continue to help you have fewer obstructive events.

I'd also suggest raising your minimum during ramp to something higher that you'd still be comfortable with -- your call what that might be. With an EPR of 3, a minimum of 7 is very comfortable for most people.