Travel Options for Central Sleep Apnea?! BIPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ASV Guy

Travel Options for Central Sleep Apnea?! BIPAP?

Post by ASV Guy » Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:23 pm

I’m thinking of trying a travel Bipap machine even though I have central sleep apnea and use an ASV machine. I use it religiously but I’m sick of traveling with it.

I was diagnosed with treatment-induced central sleep apnea 5-6 years ago. I started with OSA and a CPAP machine but the treatment stopped working after 6 months, and so they re-diagnosed me. :shock: I don’t have any of the scary symptoms/conditions that can go along with central apnea, it’s just the other machine stopped working.

I’ve been doing fine with the Resmed10 adaptive-servo-ventilation (ASV) machine but I’m sick of traveling with it. I want a smaller unit I can use for 3-10 days at a time.

Please let me know if there’s a solution. I can’t fine a travel ASV machine and I’m ready to get creative.

Stats off my Resmed 10 ASV (silver) machine:
Average 1.6 events per night
Pressure: 13.5
Exp pressure: 4.9
Vt: 500ml
RR:14
MV 7.1 L/min
TgMV 6.5 L/min
AHI:0.4
Total AI:0.1

I don’t know what these all mean but thinking I might be able to set up a Bipap with similar specs and see the results I get without the adaptive ventilation :roll:

Pugsy

Re: Travel Options for Central Sleep Apnea?! BIPAP?

Post by Pugsy » Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:09 am

Have you found a tiny/travel size machine that has bilevel capabilities?

There are no bilevel machines that will do what the ASV does to deal with your central apneas.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ASV Guy

Post by ASV Guy » Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:25 pm

I was looking at the Resmed Airmini, it’s not Bipap, but can be set up with a lower pressure when breathing out.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:13 pm

ASV Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:25 pm
I was looking at the Resmed Airmini, it’s not Bipap, but can be set up with a lower pressure when breathing out.
Yes, the AirMini has EPR available for lowering the pressure upon exhale.
It's limited to a maximum of a 3 cm reduction....and it's fixed and thus can't increase to force you to breathe which is what the ASV does for centrals.
It will do nothing for your central apneas and could potentially even make the central apneas increase.
It also doesn't really have very much humidity available....so if you need very much added moisture then you may not like it.
Now if you don't need much humidity (if any) you may be okay with less moisture.

Also it is mask specific.....not all masks will work with the AirMini. It takes a special mask. Be sure and check that out.

Still can't deal with central apneas though.

Try to find one that you can return and get your money back if you end up hating it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:43 pm

I have my not so new (last Thanksgiving) Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV, my Daily Driver.
I have my old (16,000+ hours) Now my travel machine.
My really Old Philips ASV (also 16,000+ hours) Was my travel machine before I got my newest machine.

My travel machine stays in the travel case, except when I am using it during travel. The case includes everything necessary to use the machine including an extension cord and octopus. Except water for the humidifier which I carry separately.

I would not even consider a mini machine.

I do keep a variety of spare masks just in case something happens. Like a mask that refuses to stop leaking.

ASV Guy

Post by ASV Guy » Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:46 am

I travel to Europe, Indonesia and take motorcycle trips, so hauling a big machine, whether it’s a spare machine just for travel or it’s my primary machine, is still not what I want to do.

I think I’ll have to go back to the doc and ask about options. I have trouble believing I had obstructed and it suddenly turned into central forever, maybe there’s more to be done these days.

Us ASV users are only 10 percent of the population of CPAP users so there aren’t as many solutions, but I’m not done looking.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:15 pm

ASV Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:46 am
machine
If you get a different machine for travel, make sure to try it out for several nights at home.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

Cuando cuentes cuentos, cuenta cuántas cuentos cuentas.