Jen (Socknitster) had her Baby (off topic)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yorkiemum01

Post by yorkiemum01 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:01 pm

How ADORABLE !!!!!!!!! You have one beautiful family...Congrats !!!!
Sure glad to hear things are looking up for you all. Keep the pictures coming please.

roster

Post by roster » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:21 pm

Very nice Jen. Thanks for sharing the photos.

I just finished a rare hour of chatting with my youngest, an 18-year old daughter, who will be leaving us for college in about six weeks. Leaving us as empty-nesters.

I am sure you know to enjoy them as much as you can now!

NeedinZs

Post by NeedinZs » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:54 pm

Jen,

They are absolutely beautiful!

So glad to hear things are going much better for all!

clancy2

Post by clancy2 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:45 pm

congratulations and those are 2 adorable little guys.
glad everything is working out well now.

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:25 pm

Hey Mom -- the picture with Harry is priceless!!!!
Congratulations on your addition -- I'm happy to read that it's going much better now. New ones are hassle enough without any side issues going on - but again, it sounds like things are moving in the right direction!!!!

I have no motherly advice as I'm ill equipped , but I will say, knowing you, follow your heart. You'll do what's right - I have ultimate faith in that!!!!

Take care!!
cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:07 pm

Jen, that baby is darling and just look at that proud big brother! You are so blessed!

Bev

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

wlo2008

Post by wlo2008 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:16 pm

I am wondering I have not read all the posts on this thread. But what does everyone think about SA causing issues in their babies.

Both my children were NICU babies. And I had horrid experiences both times under the knife and almost dying. What are your thoughts?

brazilian

Post by brazilian » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:20 pm

Jen:

Congratulations and blue kisses on the tip of the nose to you all, from us here in Brazil!

Nelson

Brasil

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:49 am

wlo2008 wrote:I am wondering I have not read all the posts on this thread. But what does everyone think about SA causing issues in their babies.

Both my children were NICU babies. And I had horrid experiences both times under the knife and almost dying. What are your thoughts?
I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean the mother having undiagnosed sleep apnea and then the babies being sick? Well, I wondered about that too, since my first pregnancy was during a time when I had severe undiagnosed sleep apnea. My son had jaundice and reflux. I thought that I had somehow caused these things once I found out a few years later that I had apnea.

However, I am under excellent treatment now. Throughout my pregnancy this time, my AHI, as recorded by my machine, was always under 1.0 and sometimes actually 0! I slept better during this pregnancy than I have during my entire lifetime. Yet this baby was born with more severe problems--the same problems, just more severe in both cases. I can't blame it on the apnea anymore. It must be simple genetics.

I once asked this question across the broad forum here and lots of women responded that their pregnancies may have been harder, but that the babies did not seem any worse for the ordeal. I got lots of reports from the older women that their babies were healthy and normal.

Having premature babies is an awful experience that completely eclipses what I am going thru now, but don't be so quick to blame the OSA. It could have been a contributing factor, but there are so many unexplained things about prematurity, I would hesitate to label it a cause. For one thing--babies themselves NATURALLY have apnea. They pause in their breathing for up to 10 secs and start again and that is completely normal. I'm guessing the maternal body has mechanisms to cope with maternal apnea to keep the babies safe. After all, pregnancy is a well known temporary cause of apnea as well. OB's are just now beginning to be aware of this phenomenon and treating their patients with cpap.

I hope that helps. As mothers, we have too much to feel guilty about--lets try not to add one more thing!

Jen

tangents

Post by tangents » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:57 am

Jen, your babies are ADORABLE! The sight of a newborn just turns me to jelly. I love the picture of the two boys, too. Glad to hear that things have been going better. I hope it's smooth sailing from now on!

Take Care,
Cathy

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:20 am

jen,
congrats on the new addition...he looks just lovely..and the pic of the two boys is precious

sorry to read that you've been struggling

i hope you can get the breastfeeding thing going well...i'm sure you recall how much easier it is than fussing with formula and cleaning bottles...now with two that hassle seems just huge to me! but you'll do what you have to do and either way your baby is well taken care of, there's no doubt about that

did you get a chance to read "siblings without rivalry"? i hope you did, or do...
if you can stand some unsolicited advice, there are a few things i learned about bringing the new baby home: with breastfeeding there is built-in holding, for hours a day, so don't feel bad about passing charlie over to another loving adult the rest of the time so you can focus on harry; try not to attach anything negative to the baby, where harry's concerned, as in "no i can't play right now, i have to feed the baby", instead, use positive frame, as in, "come and sit with charlie and i while i feed him, then we can play"...always try to involve harry as much as possible, even if it's inconvenient...and with all due respect to some of the posters here, now is the absolute WORST time to send harry to the grandparents, or any other relative: in his little mind it would seem like a punishment, like the biggest time-out ever, and he would see that as you choosing the new baby over him; if you do have support and involvement from relatives and friends, let them focus on the new baby...as long as he is being loved and held he'll be content, and you can focus on him when harry's occupied or sleeping...this is the time when harry needs more attention than ever and constant reminders that he is loved and valued...my kids are now 14 and 12 and sibling rivalry is absolutely non-existent in our family

i apologize if i'm telling you things you already know, and i hope you don't mind the advice, but this is what i do for a living, with great success!

take good care and i hope smooth sailing is in the immediate forecast!
sharon

wlo2008

Post by wlo2008 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:33 am

socknitster wrote:
wlo2008 wrote:I am wondering I have not read all the posts on this thread. But what does everyone think about SA causing issues in their babies.

I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean the mother having undiagnosed sleep apnea and then the babies being sick? Well, I wondered about that too, since my first pregnancy was during a time when I had severe undiagnosed sleep apnea. My son had jaundice and reflux. I thought that I had somehow caused these things once I found out a few years later that I had apnea.

However, I am under excellent treatment now. Throughout my pregnancy this time, my AHI, as recorded by my machine, was always under 1.0 and sometimes actually 0! I slept better during this pregnancy than I have during my entire lifetime. Yet this baby was born with more severe problems--the same problems, just more severe in both cases. I can't blame it on the apnea anymore. It must be simple genetics.

I once asked this question across the broad forum here and lots of women responded that their pregnancies may have been harder, but that the babies did not seem any worse for the ordeal. I got lots of reports from the older women that their babies were healthy and normal.

Having premature babies is an awful experience that completely eclipses what I am going thru now, but don't be so quick to blame the OSA. It could have been a contributing factor, but there are so many unexplained things about prematurity, I would hesitate to label it a cause. For one thing--babies themselves NATURALLY have apnea. They pause in their breathing for up to 10 secs and start again and that is completely normal. I'm guessing the maternal body has mechanisms to cope with maternal apnea to keep the babies safe. After all, pregnancy is a well known temporary cause of apnea as well. OB's are just now beginning to be aware of this phenomenon and treating their patients with cpap.

I hope that helps. As mothers, we have too much to feel guilty about--lets try not to add one more thing!

Jen

echo

Post by echo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 am

Hi Jen, sorry I missed the original post, but in any case CONGRATS!!!

Charlie looks absolutely like an ANGEL in those pics (though you might disagree ), and Harry's got a million-dollar smile on him, and they both look wonderful !

As others have said, you are one DEDICATED mother and WELL-INFORMED, so TRUST yourself, and BE NICE to yourself! I'm glad to hear that already things are better, I hope they continue onwards and upwards .

You'll be in my thoughts as well... sending you lots of positive healthy vibes

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:27 pm

Oh Jen! What gorgeous children you have. And it looks like they're off to a good start with bonding.

You are a fortunate mother and those little boys are in hte best of mommy care, I'm sure.

You and your husband are going to have some great memories to think of when those little ones are men.

And believe me, when these days are just memories, there are a million rewards of being the parents of grown children.

Thanks for sharing with us,
Jane

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:35 pm

Sharon said: and with all due respect to some of the posters here, now is the absolute WORST time to send harry to the grandparents, or any other relative: in his little mind it would seem like a punishment, like the biggest time-out ever, and he would see that as you choosing the new baby over him;

GOD YOU'RE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I felt like that. I really felt like my Mom was "getting rid" of me. As an adult, I completely understand it. But as a kid..... I wasn't that thrilled about it, now that you mention it. But I soon got over that, because I was spoiled rotten.

Good point, Sharon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
Babs