mask settings for Auto II

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Portageegal

mask settings for Auto II

Post by Portageegal » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:27 pm

I have the mirage quattro mask. The setting on my res med auto II was for the Ultra. I changed it to the "mirage full". I don't see much difference in the numbers. My AHI is still in the 11 ish range. My AI is in the 4-5 range. Leaks are about .02. How''s that sound?

KengEsq

Re: mask settings for Auto II

Post by KengEsq » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:21 pm

Portageegal wrote:I have the mirage quattro mask. The setting on my res med auto II was for the Ultra. I changed it to the "mirage full". I don't see much difference in the numbers. My AHI is still in the 11 ish range. My AI is in the 4-5 range. Leaks are about .02. How''s that sound?
If I knew how to attach them I would provide copies of ResMed's Mask Flow Rate charts and Mask/Flow Generator Settings. I think I got them from ResMed's Website but I am not certain.

In any event, I assume the prior setting "Ultra" was for a Ultra Mirage Nasal Mask since the ResMed Mask?flow Gererator Settings say that is the mask for which the setting should be "Ultra." According to the chart, for an S8 AutoSet II flow generator, if using a Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask the setting should be "Mir Full" and that same setting is also to be used for the Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask and the Mirage Liberty Nasal Pillows Mask. All three Mirage Full Face masks (that includes the Liberty) have the same Flow rates (leak rate) and the correct setting allows the generator to adjust the pressure to account for excessive leaks in each of those masks (at least to a point).

What is the low and high pressure settings on you AutoSet? Did you have a CPAP before your present APAP? If so, what pressure was the CPAP set for?

Portageegal

Post by Portageegal » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:54 pm

My min. is 6 and max is 14. I started this fall on "the hose", so am pretty new at this stuff.

jda1000

Post by jda1000 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:41 am

My setup is the same - a Mirage Quattro full-face mask with the machine set for "ultra."

The clinician's manual, way back on page 28, has a table of the correct settings for various masks.

The only mask listed under the setting "ultra" is the "Ultra Mirage Nasal Mask."

The "Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask" is listed under the setting "MIR FULL"

I don't recall noticing this before....guess I'll change it and see if it makes any difference. My AHI has been around 4, most of which is HI, as the AI is generally zero or just above.
Machine: Resmed Autoset II
Humidifier: Resmed H4i
Mask: Mirage Ultra

KengEsq

Post by KengEsq » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:10 am

Portageegal wrote:My min. is 6 and max is 14. I started this fall on "the hose", so am pretty new at this stuff.
Do you read your data on the LED each morning? It only stays on the machine until noon so you have to read it each day to get an idea what your numbers are for the night before? You must be reading some of the numbers to know your 95 percentile leak rate (0.02 is great) and your AHI in a range of about 11 and your AI in a range from 4 to 5 are not so good. Do you also look at your 95% pressure number each day? The LED just says "Pressure" with a number (cm of H2O). With a pressure range setting between 6 and 14 you might find the pressure is at or very near 14 for 95% of your sleep time which might indicate a need to increase the maximum pressure to get proper treatment. It is more common to start APAP treatment with the pressure range setting from 4 to 20 just to determine the most appropriate range. It can be adjusted later to increase the minimun and decrease the maximum to be more in line with a range that provides the best therapy and does not disrupt your sleep. Did you RT start your treatment in the 6 to 14 cm H2O pressure range?

Portageegal

Post by Portageegal » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:20 am

Today's was
Pressure 13.8
Leak .08
AHI 14.0
AI 5.5
HI 8.6

KengEsq

Post by KengEsq » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:06 am

Just my opinion but I think you need to increase your maximum pressure setting since it is set for 14 and 95% of the time you were getting 13.8 cm H2O or less (but we do not know how much less the duration of less pressure. Why don't you call your RT for advice and assistance. Of course, I have no idea how long you have been getting similar numbers so if it has not been long (a couple of weeks or so) you may still be adjusting to treatment.