H1N1

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Paul56

H1N1

Post by Paul56 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:01 pm

Mom had her shot yesterday.

I'm going for mine tomorrow.

Just in case something happens and I don't make it back here... its been nice knowing you folks.

sleepycarol

Re: H1N1

Post by sleepycarol » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:06 pm

I took mine back a couple of weeks ago. I made it out alive!!

Keep the faith!!
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:10 pm

Hi, I hope you're being facetious, but in any case, can someone PLEASE explain why you're all so afraid of a flu shot? What's happened that you're all listening to a few nut jobs to the extent that you won't protect yourselves (not you Paul, of course), your children or your unborn kids? Up here across the border we've mostly all gotten it, and many (older) people the regular flu shot as well, and there have been no horror stories or anything else. A handful (not a bunch, a handful) of people possibly had bad reactions - fewer than normally have any to the regular shot or any other meds, but for some reason everyone in the US seems to be scared out of their wits about it and I am so worried for the children, and pregnant women and anyone else who thinks washing their hands 10 x a day is all they need to do. It's a flu shot, not the plague, and you need to get one! Who will you complain to (or about) when it sinks in that not getting the shot is dangerous, not the other way around.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:24 pm

And our government is ran by people who have no agenda, and are morally sound and to be trusted! Sure, I believe that, like all sheep do. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:32 pm

Julie wrote:...PLEASE explain why you're all so afraid of a flu shot?
Julie, I have cytokine storms from vaccines, any vaccine -- it's not fear on my part but known reaction; 3 times I tried flu shots and all 3 time ended by sick...not flu but awful experience just the same and sick just as long as I'd have been if I'd gotten flu in the first place. I never understood why I got 'sick' until I learned about cytokine storms. I will take my chances and use vitamin D a la http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/200 ... 0k-iu.html.

If I got sick, I sure as heck wouldn't be going outside & exposing others.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:04 pm

I had both last month the same day *I am a teacher* and I am still okay LOL

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:01 pm

Jaylee wrote:I had both last month the same day *I am a teacher* and I am still okay LOL
Check back with us in 10 years, effects of poisons and pollutants, sometimes don't appear over night, also in the older population there is less time for the effects of brain damage to show. With some of the vaccines, the people taking the vaccines can infect others around them if weakened live virus is used, and there is know way we know it isn't. These drug producers have bad records for the products they product, their only good record, is for producing record profits from the misery of others. jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

JZ

Post by JZ » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:05 pm

I'm not in a high risk group, so can't get the vaccine at this point. Eventually, the manufacturers will turn out enough of the stuff that my state will have enough to begin vaccinating anyone who wants it. I will get my shot at the earliest opportunity. A few of my co-workers have had H1N1 this fall and they were sick as dogs. I'll take a flu shot any day to avoid that. I take the seasonal flu shot every year and have not had any reactions. I have read extensively about the H1N1 vaccines and have found nothing to be afraid of.

Muse-Inc -- Of course I understand where you are coming from. It sounds like a wise decision for you to avoid the vaccine.

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:43 pm

I can't say I took the H1N1 and seasonal shots casually, as I know there are risks. But I wasn't afraid of it. When they quote the astronomically high percentages of those who have been vaccinated with no problems, I'm sure that's little comfort to those who are the exceptions. For me, it was a matter of weighing the odds - I doubt I would fare well with the flu, as my lungs are already compromised. Am I confident there will be no long term effects of things we put in our bodies? No. But one doctor told me I was "pre-embalmed" from a toxic formaldehyde exposure over 25 years ago. In view of that, it's gonna take more than a flu shot to do me in before all the other damage does.

My older daughter decided against the H!N1 for her children. Can't say I'm comfortable with that, but I understand her reservations, and none of her childen have other underlying health issues to make them high risk.

Paul, we'll see you back here after your shot.

Kathy

kdiverson

Post by kdiverson » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:03 am

I got my H1N1 yesterday, other than a mild headace, no other symptoms. I had H1N1 in late october, Dr prescribed Tamiflu. Dr advised i still get the vacine, as the tamilflu probably prevented my immune system from developing full immunity.
I think i would rather risk side effects of the shot, vs getting full blown case of H1N1. the 5 days that i was ill were quite miserable. several of my co workers were off upto 10 days recovering from it.

Muffy

Post by Muffy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:26 am

Muse-Inc wrote:Julie, I have cytokine storms from vaccines, any vaccine -- it's not fear on my part but known reaction; 3 times I tried flu shots and all 3 time ended by sick...not flu but awful experience just the same and sick just as long as I'd have been if I'd gotten flu in the first place. I never understood why I got 'sick' until I learned about cytokine storms.
What makes you believe you had "cytokine storms"?

If you, in fact, do have a tendency to get "cytokine storms" (SIRS) following vaccinations, why wouldn't it then follow that actually contracting H1N1 would result in the rapid onset and progression of "The Mother of All Cytokine Storms"?

Muffy

Machine: Dell Dimension 8100
Mask: 3M N-95 (during flu season)
Humidifier: Avoided, tends to make me moldy
Software: XP Pro
Additional Comments: You can't find a solution when you don't know the problem

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:30 am

kteague wrote:
My older daughter decided against the H!N1 for her children. Can't say I'm comfortable with that, but I understand her reservations, and none of her childen have other underlying health issues to make them high risk.

Kathy
The problem with H1N1 is that young people don't need underlying problems - 50% of those dieing or getting seriously ill with it are young people with no issues other then being young and healthy.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:08 pm

kteague wrote:... My older daughter decided against the H!N1 for her children. Can't say I'm comfortable with that, but I understand her reservations, and none of her childen have other underlying health issues to make them high risk. ...
Kathy, please ask your daughter to view the following graph from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarc ... /IPD45.htm

The number of deaths in children is WAY up due to H1N1. Though there is a good chance they might not have any problems if they are healthy, there is a much higher than normal chance that your daughter could become one of those poor mothers who has to deal with the loss of a child. Does she want to risk that, when the H1N1 vaccine is shown to be very safe and prevents that possibility?

Here's hoping she will listen to facts and not fear mongering!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:53 pm

I checked the facts and I spoke to three different doctors about it, I am comfortable with my choice to get both flu shots. I work with small children and usually miss about 2 weeks of work per year with things like strep throat (which sent me to three doctors, two antibiotics and almost sent me to the ER last year and I missed a ton of work) and URIs. The flu is not something I want to get or worry about getting. I realize that a lot of people are against the shots, and that is fine, you have to make the best choice for yourself.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:04 pm

Jaylee wrote:... I realize that a lot of people are against the shots, and that is fine, you have to make the best choice for yourself.
Glad you did get the vaccines, as did I. (I am in a high risk group due to diabetes). Not only will it help you avoid getting the flu, but you will also not pass it along to the most vulnerable group in our country - our children.

And that is where I differ with you on one point. It is not well and good for people to decide not to get this vaccine. If a parent decides to not give their child an important vaccine they put their childs' life at risk. If that was all that happened, that would simply be a part of natural selection. Bad decisions lead to bad consequences. Unfortunately, that suddenly puts every other child that comes in contact with the unvaccinated child at elevated risk.

Sometimes as a society we need to understand that we must work toward the greater good and accept common rules. It is NOT okay for me to disobey traffic laws because I want to. Even if no one is hurt, I put OTHERS at greater risk. My reckless behavior is not okay when it endangers others.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński