Clinical trials and feedback

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pampa

Clinical trials and feedback

Post by pampa » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi all,

We're starting a new service here: a search engine for clinical trials that is especially designed for people like you and me: in plain English, with answers to not-so-obvious questions (ie: will I have a private room? is there free wi-fi? who will know I took part in the study?), pictures, maps, etc.

It is also possible to ask questions to healthcare professionals familiar with each study. And for those interested, there are pre-screening questionnaires and even the option to book an appointment with the clinic.

We're running a pilot with a clinical trial for sleep apnea. Please note that the study takes place in the UK, so it's probably not relevant to most of you - the point is to have your valuable feedback if you can spare a couple of minutes: are we missing anything? was the service/information useful?

The study can be found here https://www.trialreach.com/cortex/html/view_study.php

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,
TrialReach.com

JohnBFisher

Re: Clinical trials and feedback

Post by JohnBFisher » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:51 pm

What? No free airfare and travel to the UK for the study?

You might want to find a website that explains a little more about the sleep study process. For example:

http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/sleep-bas ... pstudy.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_study
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Dis ... hatis.html

Some other questions come to mind:
  • Any payment to the volunteers?
  • Does the volunteer need to live in a certain area?
  • How frequently will the volunteer need to have a sleep study performed?
Hope that helps.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

pampa

Post by pampa » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:17 pm

Nice one We'll take good note of the free visit to London

Links to the websites is good idea - Now, regarding the questions, they're all very relevant... and that's why they're already included! If you're curious:

Question 8:
Would I get paid for taking part in this study?
Subjects completing this study will be compensated for their time and inconvenience. If you wish to withdraw from the study before completion or are excluded early from the study, a pro-rata payment will be made based on duration of participation.

Question 3:
Who can participate in this study?
This study is for people who live in the UK, are between 18 and 64 years of age, have been diagnosed with sleep apnoea, and are otherwise considered in good health. For more details about eligibility, click here.
NOTE: the link in 'click here' takes you to the pre-screening form with many more details about eligibility.

Question 7:
How many times will I have to go to the clinic?
If you qualify to take part in this study, you will have to go to the clinic twice within a 2-3 week period. This will comprise a screening night, an admission period lasting 3 nights, and then a follow-up visit. While it is desirable that the screening night and admission period are over consecutive days, it may be possible to make the schedule more flexible to accommodate your needs. The follow-up visit is an outpatient visit lasting approximately 1-3 hours.

Thanks so much for the comments!

Cheers
TrialReach.com

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:28 pm

pampa wrote:... Now, regarding the questions, they're all very relevant... and that's why they're already included! If you're curious ...
Whoops! My apologies I missed it. Since I did, I suggest other visitors to the site will miss the added information as well.

Might I suggest a link at the bottom of the page to point onto the next set of questions?

Or another approach is a first page with an overview of the study and then a list of all the questions. Those questions can then hyperlink into the page/tab with the answers.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński