How much water used?Risperonics Heated Humidifier System One

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ilenedreams

How much water used?Risperonics Heated Humidifier System One

Post by ilenedreams » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:51 pm

I filled to the level meter line, used all night long and only barely 1/8 water gone.
Level of humidity was #2.

Surprised to see so much water still there. The #3 setting was used only the last half hour of sleep and quite a difference, much more "tropical" feel. But where were the palm trees?????????????

How much water does your machine use?

Scarlet834

Re: How much water used?Risperonics Heated Humidifier System One

Post by Scarlet834 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:02 pm

I'm glad to see your post and hope others will reply!

I've had my PR One for two nights. The first night I used humidity setting 3, same as for my old M series. I didn't notice the water use but my nose definitely dried out. Night two I used setting 4. That will be tolerable, but I plan to try setting 5 tonight (and contact DME to confirm the humidifier is acting as expected, since I own it). My water was not quite full at the start of the night, and it was just about to the 75% level this morning.

This might be some of the trade-off for the design that is intended to prevent rainout. As long as I can get enough humidity for comfort I'm OK with it. But I will stop filling water to the top once I can better predict what the machine will do. (I empty and use fresh water daily.)

chronic

Post by chronic » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:22 pm

I don't know exactly but my guess is that it uses one third the tank capacity every night on setting 4. I didn't think 3 was moist enough but might try 5 if I need to.

ilenedreams

Post by ilenedreams » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:25 pm

Darn... well no need to fill that baby up to the water line!!!
Wasted distilled water!

bailachel

Post by bailachel » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:36 pm

a lot will depend on the relative humidity in your bedroom. When I am in Florida, the water level doesn't drop much. Up north, with the heat on, it drops much faster. I believe that the PR 1 is designed so that the amount of humidity in the air it sends stays consistent based on the setting. This is different than if it was designed to add a consistent amount of humidity to the air regardless of the ambient humidity level.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:48 pm

bailachel wrote:... a lot will depend on the relative humidity in your bedroom ...
Exactly! I also am in a humid environment. Not all that much evaporates from the humidifier. But I've used xPAP therapy in Colorado Springs, CO. That's a high desert environment, where I litterally saw snow evaporate rather than melt. Odd to see that. Even with a humidifier (that I had to refill during the night) I would end up with nose bleeds every day. Yuck.

You will learn how to judge what works for you. Your setting of three might cause me to congest horribly. My setting of one might trigger a nose bleed for you.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

el_zorro

Post by el_zorro » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:52 pm

I have 30-40% relative humidity in my house this winter and set my PR System One to 3 and I can get 2+ nights out of one fill. Its amazing to get that kind of humidity with no rain out. I think that rain out wastes a lot of water in some of the other models of humidifiers.

Scarlet834

Post by Scarlet834 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:11 am

I slept with the humidifier on 5 last night and was comfortable. The water level moved from the 75% mark to the 25% mark. I will probably stay there for a while. No sign of rainout. Hopefully I'll never need more humidity.

bryansong

Post by bryansong » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:29 am

Are you talking about a Respronics M series? That is what I use and with mine set a 1 the tank last only 2 nights. If I run it any higher I get rainout.

I wonder if your heating element is even working.

Bryansong

ilenedreams

Post by ilenedreams » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:39 pm

FYI- Leaving leftover water in the tank to use the next night may be a prime breeding ground for mold and other allergens.

I don't advise that at all.

Scarlet834

Post by Scarlet834 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:30 pm

bryansong wrote:Are you talking about a Respronics M series? That is what I use and with mine set a 1 the tank last only 2 nights. If I run it any higher I get rainout.

I wonder if your heating element is even working.

Bryansong
I can't speak for the original poster, but I'm talking about the newer Respironics System One. I just came from the Respironics M Series and used to run that humidifier at 3--I would have drowned at a setting of 5. The System One definitely behaves differently, less humidity, less water loss. Based on other forum threads I think this is possibly typical of the design.

DaveMunson

Post by DaveMunson » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:51 pm

Over the last 5 years I have gone from filling the water on Sunday and having it last all week to being completely empty and dry the next morning from full.

bryansong

Post by bryansong » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:46 am

ilenedreams wrote:FYI- Leaving leftover water in the tank to use the next night may be a prime breeding ground for mold and other allergens.

I don't advise that at all.

I am not worried about it. I don't even wash my tank very often. Maybe I have built a few antibodies up after twelve years of use.

Bryansong