Newbie and Airlines

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
joelrk35

Newbie and Airlines

Post by joelrk35 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:18 am

I am sure this has been discussed before but I am new to the forum and new to CPAP. I am planning a trip to Australia which is 15 hours of flying from the west coast. Would appreciate any input on how to deal with using a CPAP on a plane. I have 2 choices of airlines: Hawaiian and Quantas (using airline miles). I have really enjoyed the forum since finding it a month ago. I think one of the members used the term "Lurker" to describe me. I have gotten a tremendous amount of info from this site that I have used in dealing with my therapy. Thanks to all who post their experiences and advise.

Additional Comments: ClimateLine Heated hose, Sleepyhead software
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
ResMed AirFit F20 Full Face Mask

Tcamillemars

Re: Newbie and Airlines

Post by Tcamillemars » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:36 am

I flew to Switzerland last summer on Delta, and that airline did not allow the use of a cpap machine on the aircraft at all. TSA screenings are either no problem or a complete hassle, depending on the airport. I have had absolutely no problems in Denver, or Paris but Atlanta and Las Vegas still give me nightmares. Your best bet is to check with the individual airlines to see their policies. Have a great trip!

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:48 am

First, you have to find an airline that allows usage. Then you have to book a seat that has a power plug. Third, the power supplied has to be compatible with your machine. Usually, it's not worth the hassle.

As stated, carrying it on is usually no problem. USING it onboard can be.

If it were me, I'd get plenty of sleep in advance and take several magazines...it will be a long night/day.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:48 am

joelrk35 wrote:... I have 2 choices of airlines: Hawaiian and Quantas (using airline miles). ...
Google is your friend. No matter what they may tell you, listen to what their public websites note.

Quantas is CPAP friendly. See:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airline ... /global/en

Which states:
Note: Continuous Positive Airways Pressure (CPAP) devices: do NOT need a medical clearance. Arrangements can be made by downloading and completing the CPAP Clearance form and faxing to +61 (2) 9691 0666. This form also lists the current CPAP devices authorised for use on Qantas aircraft.
Their form is at http://www.qantas.com.au/infodetail/fly ... arance.pdf

Hawaiian Airlines is NOT as CPAP friendly. See:

http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/Service ... ities.aspx

which states:
Please note that Hawaiian Airlines does not permit the use of the following devices on board any of our aircraft.
  • Personally owned medical oxygen cylinders
  • Personally owned portable liquid oxygen concentrators
  • Devices requiring external power (from an aircraft power receptacle)
  • CPAP and BiPAP machines
  • Any assistive device which requires the use of an electrical outlet on board the aircraft
No doubt they have their reasons. But you will miss out on your sleep with Hawaiian Airlines.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

joelrk35

Post by joelrk35 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Thanks to all for the quick responses. Looks like I have two choices, Quantas Airlines or take a good book. I called Hawaiian Air to see if they would accommodate me but they were inflexible. Now the problem of getting seats on Quantas using airline miles. "Mom said life wouldn't be easy.

Additional Comments: ClimateLine Heated hose, Sleepyhead software
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
ResMed AirFit F20 Full Face Mask

bart.willems

Post by bart.willems » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:41 pm

Don't forget that the pressure on board of the aircraft will be equivalent to that of an altitude of around 10,000' - you might want to find out in advance how that is going to affect your required pressure (more? less?). And unless you're having one of those really fancy seats you'll be sitting nearly straight up anyway - that might reduce the need for CPAP on that one trip as well - I cannot answer that one for you.

harry33

Post by harry33 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:23 pm

qantas will give you a very cheap seat with a power point and as mentioned has been CPAP friendly for a long time, you buy your ticket then register, faxing their CPAP form that you download from the net, your CPAP has to be on their approved list but most are, the sign neednt be signed by a doctor, confirm all this by phone
I am planning 2 long flights with qantas and hope their cabin service is better than it was
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

akousw

Post by akousw » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:49 pm

bart.willems wrote:Don't forget that the pressure on board of the aircraft will be equivalent to that of an altitude of around 10,000' - you might want to find out in advance how that is going to affect your required pressure (more? less?).
Some machines have the ability to automatically adjust the pressure for the altitude. That is one of the reasons I selected my machine - for if my dad manages to pull my wife and me back on walkabout in the mountains again. But it seems to make her carsick, so, I guess that might not happen.

I'm not sure what the method is to adjust the pressure for a different altitude, but I know that it involves a special meter (manometer? they sell it on cpap.com). But this is my fourth day. And I bought the maching that can so I wouldn't have to mess with it when I read about it.

Do you know if you machine has that feature? If so, then you should be good to go. Or might want to read the manual on the feature. If not, then, you're going to have to discuss what that meter is and how to use it and how to change the pressure and stuff. Of course, since I'm a newbie myself, I might be completely misled on what has to be done and what the meter is. If anyone knows better, then correct me.

tillymarigold

Post by tillymarigold » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:12 pm

I've never heard of a machine that adjusted automatically at 10,000 feet. I looked carefully because I live in Albuquerque (5000 feet) but frequently have to travel to Santa Fe for work (7500 feet). My machine works in Santa Fe, but not at 10,000 feet (it's rated for up to 9000).

I've used my machine in flight on BMI and frankly it wasn't worth it--it made funny noises and wasn't delivering enough pressure.