2 year anniversary on BiPap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tonycog

2 year anniversary on BiPap

Post by tonycog » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:31 pm

Hi
Two years ago tonight was my first night with my BiPAP ASV (first night if any XPAP). I can't believe that two years have passed. During my first 6 to 8 weeks with my machine I could not imagine EVER being able to sleep "normally" again. I could not imagine ever looking forward to going to bed. I spent most of June, 2009 without sleep and was completely traumatized and was convinced that I would not ever sleep again.

It took a lot of time and I had to work through the various issues one-at-a-time (leaks, mask selection, acceptance, insomnia, anger, etc.) One-by-one I figured out solutions. I owe a huge thank you to this forum and the help and encouragement I received here. I posted some questions and got suggestions. But I also read lots of other messages and picked up tips and suggestions from all over this place. Thank you to everyone who contributes here.

The transformation is really remarkable. Initially I would dream of some sort of miracle doctor's appointment where I was told that there was a mix-up and I really didn't need to sleep with this thing. Now I understand that this is just how it is. I need my machine if I want to watch my son grow up. Sleeping without it is simply not an option. While I wish I could sleep without it, I can't really imagine ever doing so again. There are still some nights where leaks bother me a bit, but I've figured out solutions.

To any newbies here - don't give up. You need your machine also. Read, learn, ask questions, work out each problem one-by-one and stop depriving your body of oxygen. We need that stuff.

Thanks again to all who contribute.
Tony

PS Good night. I'm going to sleep now...and looking forward to it.

BleepingBeauty

Re: 2 year anniversary on BiPap

Post by BleepingBeauty » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:00 pm

Wow, two years already! The time does fly.

I'm glad to hear you're doing so well, Tony.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

rested gal

Re: 2 year anniversary on BiPap

Post by rested gal » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:07 am

Tony, it's hard to believe it's been two years already.

Congratulations on hitting that mark! Good to hear from you.
tonycog wrote:It took a lot of time and I had to work through the various issues one-at-a-time (leaks, mask selection, acceptance, insomnia, anger, etc.) One-by-one I figured out solutions.
That's the way to do it. Very encouraging words for new people to read. Thanks for a very good post, Tony!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435