How often do you conciously wake up each night?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
England

How often do you conciously wake up each night?

Post by England » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:00 pm

I usually wake up about every 1.5 to 2 hours a night (that I'm aware of). I've only been on apap for 10 days, and it's the same. Since staring your cpap treatment, how many times do you usually wake up? Did you notice a big difference after starting treatment? Would love to know...

ozze_dollar

Re: How often do you conciously wake up each night?

Post by ozze_dollar » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:08 pm

I usually wake up after 2 hours,then another 2 hours,then i have a period of an hour or so before I can sleep again. From then on I wake regularly. I dont think conciously is the right word. I dont do it on purpose it just happens.
What wakes us up...who knows I was asleep. My guess is I must have stopped breathing and the machine gave me a blast.Sort of defeats the purpose doesnt it?

England

Post by England » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:09 pm

What I meant by conciously (and maybe it wasn't the right word ) was how many times are you aware that you wake up. I know with apnea and uars, we wake up many times but aren't aware of the little mini arousals. I was wondering if it was the machine that was waking me up, or if that is just me since that is how I've always been. I always thought it was normal to wake up that much...until my husband and family said they don't. Lucky us, eh?

redjoe

Post by redjoe » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:15 pm

England, I understood your meaning quite clearly the first time. Maybe it's just language usage in different countries.

For me, I'm usually aware of having awakened only once during the night anymore, sometimes not at all, until the alarm goes off. Before xPAP, I used to be aware of having wakened three, sometimes four times per night due to nocturia.

SmartLink module works, but software doesn't, so I'm using SleepyHead. Thanks, JediMark!
Real sleep and oxygen to the brain are wonderful things!

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:31 pm

I've been waking up 3 or 4 times a night lately. Before CPAP, it was about as many times as well. I do wonder what is normal.

Dave.

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:07 pm

In the years immediately prior to xPAP I'd remember waking up ZERO times on many nights once I got to sleep. And it usually took 30 or 40 minutes to get to sleep. But bad nights (where I had a touch of insomnia) would happen now and then, but mainly bedtime insomnia---i.e. it would take longer than normal to fall asleep OR I'd simply not even go to bed until some ridiculously late hour like 2:30 or 3:00. And once I was asleep, I'd stay asleep until morning---at least in the sense of not remembering any wakes due to apnea or any other cause. But pre-xPAP I'd also be very, very restless on nights where the weather was nasty---hot and humid sans A/C or when a major front was coming through with a significant drop in air pressure. On those nights, it often felt like I was either waking up every 15--30 minutes OR that when I woke up, it would take me a very long time to get back to sleep.

After starting CPAP, but before starting CBT for the CPAP-Induced insomnia, things went down hill quickly. Time to sleep got to be an hour or more with serious discomfort due to aerophagia if I went to bed before 12:30 or 1:00; so I'd often simply avoid going to bed until 2:00, 3:00 or even later. And sleeping to whenever I woke up a lot of the time. Wake up was sometimes near my "old normal" wake up time of 6:30 or 7:00, but sometimes it was as late as 10:30 or 11:00 or later. At first I was only waking up maybe 2 or 3 times after getting to sleep. But by the end of the second month on xPAP, I was waking up as often as 7 or 8 times during the night on the worst nights and 4 or 5 times on a more typical night. And it would take a long, long time to get back to sleep.

After of 3 1/4 months of not sleeping very well with the machine, I started doing serious CBT work on the insomnia. A major part of this CBT was a sleep restricted schedule with a bedtime of 1:30Am (or whenever I first felt sleepy AFTER 1:30) and a rigid wake up time of 7:30. By the end of the first month of this crazy schedule, the number of wakes had pretty much dropped to 3--4 and latency to sleep was in the 10--15 minute range. By the end of 2 1/2 months, the number of wakes had dropped to 2--3 on most nights; latency to sleep was in the 5--10 minute range; and I was pretty consistently getting to bed between 1:30 and 1:45. So I was told to start working on lengthening the time in bed by moving bedtime back to 1:15.

And then tree pollen and migraine medicine side effects kicked in and progress basically came to a halt during April and May. And my bedtime became much more erratic. And a change of doctors happened. New doc is more interested in me lengthing the time I can sleep in bed with the mask than what my sleep schedule is at present.

So right now? My bedtime's anywhere from 1:30 to 3:30 in morning; wake up time is somewhere between 8:00 and 9:00 most days. I won't let myself sleep any later than that because it tends to aggravate the bedtime onset insomnia too much. And I'm still waking up 2--3 times on many nights, but now there are usually some nights each week were I only have one or two conscious wake-ups---conscious in the sense the OP is talking about. But those hot, humid nights sans AC still make me miserable: I delay going to be even more on those nights, and I tend to wake up much more frequently on those nights. And aerophagia seems to be a horrible problem on those nights. Likewise, nights where the barometric pressure is changing rapidly tend to trigger nights with lots or wakes or lots of restless periods or both.

reddwarfau

Post by reddwarfau » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Before CPAP slept right through, since CPAP seems I never sleep. I was then told I had another illness which makes me think I not asleep. Who knows anymore, all I know is I am always very tired.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:47 am

I feel better in the mornings but still feel tired several timesthrough the day.

jmcanzo

Post by jmcanzo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:22 am

Before my cpap I would wake up it seemed every 15mins tossing and turning. Awake enough to look at the clock and see the time and clearly remember in the morning. It is part of the reason I finally went for the sleep study. After CPAP I go to bed between 10:00 and 10:30 and usually do not wake (unless the dog wakes me to go out) until 5:00 when my alarm goes off.

tbone421998

Post by tbone421998 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:27 am

Before CPAP I know that I would get out of bed two to three times to go to the bathroom. I haven't gotten out of bed to go to the bathroom since the first night I was on CPAP May 31st. I'm sure I was awake a few more times than that. I do get awakened a couple of times a night due to mask leaks.
Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask: Resmed Mirage Quattro Medium
Humidifier: Resmed H5i Heated Humidifier with ClimateLine
Additional Comments: Resmed S8 Escape II for backup

#1 Jets Fan

Post by #1 Jets Fan » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:38 am

Only once a night to use the bathroom (due to medication I'm on). Before CPAP I can remember awaking every two hours and noting the time on my clock.

rholmack

Post by rholmack » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:44 am

Pre-CPAP I woke up 5-20 times, with CPAP 2-5 times a night.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:06 pm

My fitbit tells me I am active about 6 times a night. I vaguely recall 1 or 2 of those.

pollyanna40

Post by pollyanna40 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:46 pm

before cpap never woke up!! (even though i had servere OSA,60times an hr) on cpap now i wake up every 2 hrs,toilet run,blast of air,leaks,turning over!! seems like everything wakes me up now!! LOL.. x

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:40 pm

Pre-treatment, I was up every two hours or so to use the bathroom. Now, it's one trip per night (with no other awakenings, unless my dog is agitated by an animal outside or something like that); then I'm right back to sleep. Sometimes I'm able to sleep straight through with no interruptions.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.