CPAP Library no longer doing mask trials?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
napstress

CPAP Library no longer doing mask trials?

Post by napstress » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:59 am

I just went to CPAP Library and do not seem to be able to find my way to the mask trials section. Does anyone know if he is still doing them?
Epworth Sleepiness Scale: 14
Diagnostic study: overall AHI: 0.2 events/hour; overall RDI: 45 events/hour
Titration study: AHI: 6.1; RDI: 27; CPAP pressures: 5-8cm

Not-tired behind my eyes and with a clear, cool head!

chunkyfrog

Re: CPAP Library no longer doing mask trials?

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:26 am

Another wonderful service shot down.
Can't really blame them; I think they were losing money.

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:40 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Another wonderful service shot down.
Can't really blame them; I think they were losing money.
Hi Chunky,

If I remember correctly, according to the universal email that Dane sent to people, vendors did not want him to offer this service. He felt he had no choice due to the agreements with them to end it.

It really angered me because once again, it seemed the average "joe" was once again getting screwed. But what can you do?

49er

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:03 am

In the past we have had other mask trials but not on such a large scale as what Dane did. Mostly we had a couple of masks making the rounds and was on the honor system to send the mask on to the next person on the list.
Never failed that someone would drop off the forum and not respond and not pass the mask along to the next person.
Dane took on quite a job when he volunteered for this mask trial. There's nothing stopping someone else from offering the same thing except no one wants to do the work involved. Time and gas involved just going to the Post Office makes it a not even break in situation as far as costs involved. Not even counting the cleaning cost with time and cleaning solution.
Dane spoiled us for sure.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:44 am

Pugsy wrote:In the past we have had other mask trials but not on such a large scale as what Dane did. Mostly we had a couple of masks making the rounds and was on the honor system to send the mask on to the next person on the list.
Never failed that someone would drop off the forum and not respond and not pass the mask along to the next person.
Dane took on quite a job when he volunteered for this mask trial. There's nothing stopping someone else from offering the same thing except no one wants to do the work involved. Time and gas involved just going to the Post Office makes it a not even break in situation as far as costs involved. Not even counting the cleaning cost with time and cleaning solution.
Dane spoiled us for sure.
Hi Pugsy,

Yes Dane definitely spoiled us.

I did find the email and yes, vendors requested that their masks not be include in the trial program. So any vendor that has an account with these some companies is not going to be able to offer the service assuming they have the same distribution agreement.

49er

sol

Post by sol » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:14 pm

You can always get the insurance return from cpap.com which works out cheaper than the trial program
https://www.cpap.com/returns.php

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:16 pm

The return insurance costs for masks at cpap.com actually vary by mask.
The Swift FX is $14.88. The full face masks return insurance is usually a lot more. Just looked and one was $38.
So there is a wide variable in cost of insurance and then one adds in the cost of shipping back to cpap.com

The mask trial cost was a flat $14 ...$7 for each way shipping. It was cheaper to use the mask trial program that Dane offered. The down side was maybe the wait for a popular mask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sol

Post by sol » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:33 pm

If understood correctly you can try more than just one mask with the return insurance till you find the right mask
I would use cpap.com return insurance if could. Because of Resmed stupid policy I couldn't get my S9 from cpap.com ended up getting from a local supplier at a rip-off price but now I know better, there are other machines beside the S9 and I could get the S9 from secondwind CPAP. Better luck next time

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:08 pm

sol wrote:If understood correctly you can try more than just one mask with the return insurance till you find the right mask
I would use cpap.com return insurance if could. Because of Resmed stupid policy I couldn't get my S9 from cpap.com ended up getting from a local supplier at a rip-off price but now I know better, there are other machines beside the S9 and I could get the S9 from secondwind CPAP. Better luck next time
I think you have to buy return insurance with each mask you purchase.
Example...I buy mask with return insurance..doesn't work out...return mask and get a refund. Transaction is complete.
Then decide if I want to buy another mask and try it and if I want insurance on it also this is an entirely new transaction requiring new insurance costs.
I can't buy return insurance on the swift FX and expect it to cover a Quattro FX down the road through 4 or 5 masks.
In other words separate insurance policy for each mask. There isn't a blanket insurance policy that lets me try every mask that cpap.com stocks.
Also in the return information there is a disclaimer that cpap.com can refuse to offer the insurance to someone who seems to be abusing it.

Yeah, I know about that stupid ResMed policy. We screamed bloody murder when they implemented it. It happened not too long after I joined the forum I think. It didn't make any difference though. We have done the best we can to get around it though.
There's nothing stopping a private party from sending ResMed stuff anywhere they want....and I have done it.

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:10 pm

Another option is http://www.cpap-experts.com/. On certain masks, there is an unconditional 30 day money back guarantee.

49er

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:14 pm

A couple of times, I have ordered a mask from cpap.com,
and hesitated a bit before completing the order.
Voila' The free insurance pop-up appeared!
Thank you cpap.com!
Perhaps we need to develop a universal 3D mask sizing guide,
with added facial biometrics to help narrow down mask sizing to most likely fits.
Nose size, prominent (or receding) chins and cheekbones could be considered.
Mask manufacturers would have no control over an independent sizing guide.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:19 pm

I never received Dane's email and only learned about the demise of the mask trial program recently. How typical that the manufacturers would quash such a useful program... Also counterproductive because without a doubt the program resulted in actual SALES for the companies in question.

A year ago I wanted to transition from a full face to a nasal mask. I had heard about the program and contacted Dane, who was very helpful. In the end, I tried 3 different nasal masks (Mirage FX, Comfortgel Blue, and Easy Life) and I purchased the Mirage FX. Sale. Ch-ching.

A pity.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

sol

Post by sol » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Thanks pugsy for the clarification
I need to get more scleep

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:22 pm

We are still dealing with a system where the DME is the primary customer--we are only sheep to them.

napstress

Post by napstress » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:29 pm

RandyJ wrote:Also counterproductive because without a doubt the program resulted in actual SALES for the companies in question.
I agree completely. How can manufacturers not benefit from a mask trial program?

Would someone please break down the insurance policy thing? I read it, but did not understand.

Also, how does one get one's prescription to CPAP.com? Does the Dr. send it? Do we send it? How?
Epworth Sleepiness Scale: 14
Diagnostic study: overall AHI: 0.2 events/hour; overall RDI: 45 events/hour
Titration study: AHI: 6.1; RDI: 27; CPAP pressures: 5-8cm

Not-tired behind my eyes and with a clear, cool head!