OT: Sugar and lies

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog

Re: OT: Sugar and lies

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:32 am

"Ethics" is taking the place of "conscience".
In one form or another, we are tumbling into a free-for-all.
(oh, wait; we're there now)

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:46 am

fredr500 wrote:I'm about to drop the land line completely anyway.
Dropping a landline is a bad idea. Call 911 on a landline and they will know exactly where you're at and the operators are in your city somewhere. VOIP is a crap shoot.

Its worth it to keep the lowest metered option of $5-$10 month for safety alone. I spend more on coffee a month than that. Lose power, your internet is down and so is your internet phone.

But everyone can do as they please. Its not like anyone here has any medical problems

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:52 am

NateS wrote:So that is what you believe. Those who fail to do their own research on everything they put in their mouth are stupid.
No, I didn't say that. I said YOU are responsible for what YOU put in YOUR mouth. I put as a footnote that there are stupid people on this planet. You joined the content of two paragraphs into one meme and then said I said that.

I choose to no longer argue with you about what You think I think you said about what I think and what I said. You may rant on if you wish. I think others would be fine if we stopped that aspect of the discussion (lots of hands go up).

Some of us on this thread believe, on the other hand, that that kind of "rugged individualism" is unrealistic
What is unrealistic is to eat substances that you don't understand then blame others for any ill effects of your doing so. LOL. I choose to eat vitamin rich, balanced fiber fresh vegetables and good quality fresh meats and fish, use only fresh butter and real salt and sugar in quantities appropriate for my personal health and my risk of detrimental effects are way less, my "research" goes to nil as compared to scarfing down packaged foods with foot long ingredient lists of weird chemicals. "Oh look, Max is a "Rugged Individualist" !!!! He's eating baby spinach leaves!!!" LOL

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:03 pm

Here', I'll pet the cat backwards again ......

If you have a food addiction you need TREATMENT, not blame the manufacturer. If you are addicted to sugar, you need a substance abuse therapist not an attorney. You have a medical condition that if you cannot resolve yourself, you need professional help. If you see commercials and MUST HAVE THAT, you may need to talk to someone about that.

(man that cat's fur is getting snarled and she's-a-hissin' plenty now!)

Space Oddity

Post by Space Oddity » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:11 pm

I don't agree that so many people are stupid and that the industry's efforts were effective in covering up the dangers of excess sugar consumption and excess tobacco usage.

As someone already mentioned, we knew in the fifties that too much sugar was bad for you and we even called cigarettes coffin nails. This was well before the surgeon general's report on tobacco. We even said "sugar diabetes" with the connotation that consuming sugar caused it. But people continued to smoke and drink increasingly larger amounts of sodas.

Aristotle said 2400 years ago that the man who knew the right would do the right.

But Aristotle was wrong and 400 years later Paul got it right.
Romans 7:15 - I don’t understand why I act the way I do. I don’t do the good I want to do, and I do the evil I hate.
Paul knew it was the basic nature of man to do wrong even when he knew better. Thus our parents and grandparents and we smoke too much and eat too much sugar.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NateS: to create and enforce reasonable regulations
I don't see the need for it and in fact see a lot of bad unintended consequences. But supposing you are correct, what would these regulations be?

Noting that not only did Bloomberg's soda ban get struck down yesterday by a judge, but also local news public opinion survey were reporting 80% of citizens were in favor of the judge's ruling.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:10 pm

(Eating a big-arse Kraft marshmallow in the spirit of the moment...) Oh, wait, it contains tetrasodium pyrophosphate (gack!) Since Max is not stupid, but merely ignorant, he takes a minute to look that up:
"Toxicity is approximately twice that of table salt when ingested orally." (um, too much salt in that sugar, wonders if you don't ingest it orally, where do you stick it LOL)
Found in "chicken nuggets, marshmallows, pudding, crab meat, imitation crab, canned tuna, and soy-based meat alternatives and cat foods and cat treats" (eewww, cat food?!)
"It is also used in some common baking powders...In toothpaste and dental floss" (weird, am I also brushing my teeth? I think not, I spit when I do that)
"is sometimes used in household detergents..." (am I going to fart bubbles now??!)
"promoting algae growth" (ok, green bubbles?)
"Tetrasodium phosphate is produced by the reaction of furnace-grade phosphoric acid with..." (doesn't sound tasty)

TOSSES REST OF BAG IN TRASH. (No longer ignorant, refused to be stupid and continue eating something I don't want in my body... maybe I should keep eating and wait for the gov't to save me, or go find an attorney instead? Sue the bastards, the package says "Great for Snacking!")

CHOOSES INSTEAD: a bowl of Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal. Ingredients: Rolled oats (period. end of list. Dash of gov't saviors required, hold the attorneys)

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:01 pm

NateS

Post by NateS » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:52 pm

MaxDarkside wrote:Here', I'll pet the cat backwards again ......

If you have a food addiction you need TREATMENT, not blame the manufacturer. If you are addicted to sugar, you need a substance abuse therapist not an attorney. You have a medical condition that if you cannot resolve yourself, you need professional help. If you see commercials and MUST HAVE THAT, you may need to talk to someone about that.

(man that cat's fur is getting snarled and she's-a-hissin' plenty now!)
Are you talking to me? If so, you are making an erroneous assumption. My comments were not motivated by any personal grievance. Matter of fact, based on what you have told us here about your personal eating habits, I actually think I eat healthier than you do. I have fairly closely followed the classic Mediterranean Diet for many years.

But many of us do have a social conscience, and do care about the way the food industry has brain-washed the American public for years. My opinion is that people should not have to spend a large portion their waking hours re-searching what they eat in order to be kept safe from consuming inherently dangerous products touted by industry as safe and healthy.

Furthermore not everyone has complete control over their food choices anyway. Children are raised on the food their parents serve them or pack in their lunch boxes, or what is available in the school cafeteria. There are people temporarily or permanently served in hospitals, care centers, the military, etc. etc. Are they all "stupid" because they eat what is only made available to them, or because their food choices must by necessity or circumstance be entrusted to others?

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

jnk

Post by jnk » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Not to mention restaurant meals and the mystery ingredients in bottled adult beverages.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:04 pm

Or ANYTHING in a can--except for the extended storage, dehydrated or freeze-dried,
non-additive food sold to Mormons, campers, and survivalists.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:08 pm

MaxDarkside wrote:...snip ...

CHOOSES INSTEAD: a bowl of Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal. Ingredients: Rolled oats (period. end of list. Dash of gov't saviors required, hold the attorneys)
But the grain industry is not required to label/inform their customers that their grain may very well be a genetically modified frankengrain created by Monsanto. Doh!

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Is all "organic" non-GMO? Or do I have to look for a third-party certification stamp?

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:17 pm

DreamStalker wrote:But the grain industry is not required to label/inform their customers that their grain may very well be a genetically modified frankengrain created by Monsanto. Doh!
LOL ! I used to work in the food industry (company name not stated) as a Teamster laborer (not an evil corporate executive) and there was a standard for the number of nightshade berries (poisonous) allowed in a can of green beans. I think it was 3. I bet some of these rolled oats companies have a standard for the number of mouse turds in a package and I bet that number is greater than zero (EEEwwwww...) Mind what you eat because "Mouse Turds" is not on the ingredient list!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:20 pm

I read somewhere that there is a standard maximum number of insect parts allowed in spices.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:24 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I read somewhere that there is a standard maximum number of insect parts allowed in spices.
And since you are a frog, the amount of spice allowed in a container of insect parts