2nd Night on CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
elessadil

2nd Night on CPAP

Post by elessadil » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Here are the results from last night:

AHI 0.72
Hours per Night 08:18
Average Pressure 6.82
95% Pressure 9.00
Average Leaks 4.54
95% Leaks 13.20
Apnea / Hypopnea Index 0.72
Hypopnea 0.12
Unspecified Apnea 0.12
Obstructive Apnea 0.00
Clear Airway Apnea 0.48

Slightly worse than the first night. Slept longer, but 95% pressure was higher , had more leaks and had a few more events than I did last night. Think I will try raising the bottom pressure from 5 - 7 and see if that helps. I have ordered the x-small pillows as I think it will fit me better. Until they arrive I will just muddle through with the ones I have.

Arthur Schopenhauer - Sleep is the interest we have to pay on the capital which is called in at death; and the higher the rate of interest and the more regularly it is paid, the further the date of redemption is postponed.

oak

Re: 2nd Night on CPAP

Post by oak » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:00 pm

If I were you, I wouldn't be changing pressures just yet. Just focus on getting comfortable with the whole thing. You've got lots of time to be worrying about pressures. Just my opinion...

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:18 pm

elessadil wrote:Here are the results from last night:

AHI 0.72
Hours per Night 08:18
Average Pressure 6.82
95% Pressure 9.00
Average Leaks 4.54
95% Leaks 13.20
Apnea / Hypopnea Index 0.72
Hypopnea 0.12
Unspecified Apnea 0.12
Obstructive Apnea 0.00
Clear Airway Apnea 0.48

Slightly worse than the first night. Slept longer, but 95% pressure was higher , had more leaks and had a few more events than I did last night. Think I will try raising the bottom pressure from 5 - 7 and see if that helps. I have ordered the x-small pillows as I think it will fit me better. Until they arrive I will just muddle through with the ones I have.
There is NO REASON to make ANY adjustments...leave everything alone and go to bed.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:07 pm

I agree with what Oak and LSAT said!

Your mind and body have some time to go before they even figure out what is going on with this new PAP experience. It would be like taking medicine for an illness for a couple of days and then deciding that it is not working quick enough or in the way the Doctor explained so you decide to change things up and increase/decrease the dosage. The Doctor would probably tell you to give it a little more time to see how your body responds and then take a look at tweaking the medicine up or down.

The use of PAP therapy for the treatment of OS/OSA is not a sprint or race to the finish, it is an progressive journey, often a slow one, that for most of us will be something we do nightly for the rest of our lives. It takes time and patience, sometimes a lot, but in my opinion it is well worth it for my improved health, to sleep more soundly than I have in years and wake up each day and see my family instead of dying in my sleep.

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

jagzoo

Post by jagzoo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:47 pm

I agree with the above posters. Unless you are feeling miserable and waking up a lot - your numbers are great! Leave well enough alone and be greatful that the therapy is working so well. This is not a race to achieve an AHI of 0!

elessadil

Post by elessadil » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:48 am

I am surprised how good my numbers and experience have been so far especially since I read other posts and how much trouble other people are having adjusting to the therapy. I wouldn't have adjusted anything myself at this point, but I am also on Freecpapadvice and Jason, the sleep tech, suggested it might be better to raise the bottom pressure . I have felt better the last 2 mornings, but I am still waking up due to leaks, so I will have to sort those out. During my titration study I woke up a lot because of leaks and the discomfort of the nasal mask. The pillows and minimal headgear seem much better for me. The only problem I have with the pillows is that they dry out my nose something fierce. I have the humidity level set to 5.5 and last night I used a nasal lubricant which seemed to help. I didn't have this problem with the nasal mask. As you all say it takes time for the body to adjust to this so I will continue to use the lubricant and hopefully this problem will resolve with time. If not then perhaps I will have to try a nasal mask down the road a bit.

This forum is great and everyone is so helpful and encouraging. It certainly would be a lot harder to this on my own. I have learned a great deal here and I know I will continue to do so. Thank you everyone!

Arthur Schopenhauer - Sleep is the interest we have to pay on the capital which is called in at death; and the higher the rate of interest and the more regularly it is paid, the further the date of redemption is postponed.