Not doing so well now

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
elessadil

Not doing so well now

Post by elessadil » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:23 am

I started therapy on Sept 7 using an APAP to self titrate as I didn't yet have my results or a prescription. Thing were going quite well, my AHI was around 3 or below and I was sleeping through the night. Woke each morning feeling less groggy and foggy and didn't get tired so easily. This Tuesday I got my loaner machine, a Respironics APAP machine, set to CPAP mode, with my prescribed pressure of 12cmH2O from the supplier .......... . Also thought I'd tried a new mask.....the Swift FX NAno instead of the Swift FX Pillows. I used the mask for 2 nights and took it back. It leaked no matter what I did and I didn't like the feel of it on my face. Found it clingy and it made me feel all sweaty and icky around my nose. So I went back to the pillows....much better. (Moral here - if it ain't broke then leave it alone) BUT.......Now I have another problem that has cost me 3 good nights of sleep. I wake 4 or 5 times (that I'm aware of) due to extremely dry mouth.... the Sahara has nothing on this!!!! I keep a glass of water by the bed and drink some, but it only helps temporarily. When I'm still awake I can feel the pressure causing my mouth to pop open if I don't pay attention. I try to keep my tongue on the roof of my mouth, but if it drops then pressure builds up and POP....my mouth opens. I shut it right away, but when I'm sleeping, obviously I'm not doing this and my mouth drys out big time.

When I spoke to the supplier yesterday they told me to come back today with the machine if I still had the problem last night after changing out the mask, and they will download the data and have a look at it to see what is happening and send the data to the Dr. The tech told me that the pressure could be a bit too high for me. I think that is the case. When I was self titrating the pressure only went to 12 for a short period of time once in a while and I had no dry mouth. Usually the pressure stayed between 9 & 10 95% of the time.

Can they lower the pressure to see if that helps or do they have to wait for a response from the Dr? (Dr on vacation until Oct 19)

Side note: I have been telling my partner that he has sleep apnea. I have lain in bed listening to him stop breathing, snort, snore, gulp, gasp and toss and turn for the last 8 years. His is worse than mine. Last night I set him up with my Resmed S9 APAP and the brand new nasal mask I got with the machine when I bought it. WOW!!!! It's like sleeping with a different person. It was so quiet I had to check to see if he was there when I woke up. No tossing or turning or anything ...... and he kept the mask on the whole night! This morning I checked his AHI which was 2.83 and the 95% pressure was 10.8. He says he feels great today and he had a good night's sleep. Now he believes me so I hope it won't be hard to get him to go and get tested now. We can be hosers together!!!

Arthur Schopenhauer - Sleep is the interest we have to pay on the capital which is called in at death; and the higher the rate of interest and the more regularly it is paid, the further the date of redemption is postponed.

salton

Re: Not doing so well now

Post by salton » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:43 am

I too have the open mouth issue. I used a chin strap at first, but with the headgear, it was just a problem more than solution. I got tape, and have used it for a few months now. I have been on the hose since late Winter. Over time, my tongue has trained itself to block the airway better, and now I can sleep without the tape. I will get more leaks without, but for the most part it is not an issue. My wife works nights, so I sleep alone most of the time. I use the tape when she is with me so I don't wake her up hissing. The other night she woke me up and tole me to put on my mask, and it was on and working. She didn't hear it and thought I didn't have it on.
The biggest issue with the tape is if I do leak a little and get dry mouth, I have to remove the tape to get a drink. I have facial hair, which made the tape a challenge, but with proper trimming and a long strip of tape, it works well.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:47 am

It would be best if you tried on a variety of full face masks because it's a better way to not lose therapy air (going out of your mouth) that needs to reach your airway. You can still have your mouth open when sleeping, but won't lose the 'good' air.

elessadil

Post by elessadil » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:53 am

FFM is a problem for me as I am claustrophobic. I wasn't having this problem until the pressure increase. My AHI at the lower pressure was well below 5 and I felt good in the morning.

Arthur Schopenhauer - Sleep is the interest we have to pay on the capital which is called in at death; and the higher the rate of interest and the more regularly it is paid, the further the date of redemption is postponed.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:12 am

I'm CP too, but now welcome the mask and have used it for years. What tricks have you tried to help you with it?

elessadil

Post by elessadil » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:41 am

I only tried an FFM briefly during the titration study and couldn't even keep it on my face for longer than a few seconds. I haven't tried any other since then. I didn't even like the nasal mask I had to wear during titration, it was big and had one of those forehead pieces. Every time I woke up due to leaks I almost tore it off and only kept it on cuz I told myself I had to and my mouth wasn't covered. It kept leaking cuz I sleep on my side and and kinda bury the side of my face in my pillow. Except for the sleepweaver FFM I don't see any FFM that would allow me to do that comfortably. I really would prefer to stick with the nasal pillows. Maybe I will try taping.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:53 am

Have you tried a Hybrid? Look at it on Cpap.com... it's different.